HELP - SEARCH - MEMBERS - CALENDAR
Full Version: Aging Deer By Facial Characteristics/size
Primos Cabin Chat > Primos® Cabin Chat > Whitetail Deer Hunting
nyturkeyduster
How many of you use or have heard of aging deer by measuring from the inside corner of the eye to the tip of the nose? I have done some reading up on it and it says that a "mature" deer will measure from 6 to 7 inches. But what do they consider mature? I learned a lot by aging deer in college and it's said the best way to age deer as I'm sure most of you know is by the teeth. But it's considered to be inaccurate because tooth wear has a lot to do with diet and what region the deer is from. (Example: The corn-belt vs. the northeast boreal forests)

My brother had shot this buck I've been getting pictures of this fall, most of you had chimed in on aging him when I asked and the response varied from 3.5 to 4.5, when we measured from his eye to nose tip, it was 7.5" His face was short and blocky, he didn't have that roman nose that my deer from 2008 had, that we estimated was 5.5. Below are some pictures of my brother's deer dead and alive. Give your input, how accurate do you feel this method really is compared to other aging tactics?

Before:
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y197/nytu...er/CDY_0173.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y197/nytu...er/CDY_0219.jpg

After:
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y197/nytu...er/DSCN0384.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y197/nytu...er/DSCN0385.jpg
Bowhunter81
I don't know how well the tip of antler to eye thing would work. Just because of the varing antler size and genetics. I always go by the sway of back, the belly, and the head. The younger a deer is the flatter the back and bell are, the older they get there will be a slight dip in the back and the belly will start to hang a little lower. As fo the head I look at the eyes to see if there round(1.5-3.5yrs) or starting to oval(3.5-5.5yrs). I also look at the skin to see if loose or tight. There are many other features to look at as well as the rump, glands, and the color of hide. Watch other deer on their reactions to the buck as it enters a field. They can tell you if it is a dominat deer in the hood.

Just think about the age and looks of older human males. They get gray hair, form a pot belly, and start to hunch over. There movement is also slower.

And for your brothers buck. I would say he was 4.5 on belly and 3.5 on the back. But is rump is blocky and tarsal glands black say 4.5.

Whatever age, hes a good buck. Congrats to him.
nyturkeyduster
QUOTE(Bowhunter81 @ Dec 27 2011, 01:27 PM) *

I don't know how well the tip of antler to eye thing would work.

Thanks for the reply. I said tip of the nose to the inside corner of the eye, just to clarify.
Bowhunter81
QUOTE(nyturkeyduster @ Dec 27 2011, 03:03 PM) *

Thanks for the reply. I said tip of the nose to the inside corner of the eye, just to clarify.

My bad, not for sure on what i was thinking.
buckykm1
I think there are to many variables for that to be very accurate ?. my biggest buck weight wise field dressed at a little over 250 pounds, and he has the shortest noise of all my bucks, most of my other bucks were around 175 pounds, that tells me that the 250 + pounder was older ?.

Kevin
Mystery Hunter
I age deer from taste. The younger ones are lots more tender and the older they get the tougher they get! LOL!!
Drop-time
I use it to help age my does. Never had one go over 7.5 inches though.
Good for determining fawn from adult but its kinda of gray as far as aging bucks.
Theyre too much like people and come in all body shapes and sizes.
Hardcore
I can travel 100 miles in the State of Wisconsin and get different size deer by genetics. Years ago they transplanted the deer in this State. I used to hunt an area that was ridges ands oak scrub. The deer had shorter legs and seemed to be more stocky! Now where I hunt they have longer legs and seem longer in the body. 200 miles north and they have real long legs and seem to have longer noses. It is hard. I like to age by looking ant the body. Belly and back conformation. The size of the antlers can get you to a 3.5 but after that it gets difficult when they are matured.
They say there is many different strains of deer in the Usa. All the genetics of the diffwerent area's can play a different role in ageing it. You have to base it on the deer in your immediate area. Albrta deer would be harder to judge by a person from Texas or Alabama. The same for a Wisconsin guy in alabama and south more. It will always be a topic for discussion. I hunt to eat and enjoy the sport. I do not have a area that I can manage my own herd. If I am lucky I will see a monster but to get him is hard with all the small property lines here. I havent found a recipe for horn soup yet. I love to eat the meat! Happy New Year! wink.gif
SWarner1028
Not really related to Brenners question but I shot a 130 class 7 point a few years ago and it had a real gray face. From the top of its head down to its nose. Does this mean it was an older deer? Or some freak thing?
Drop-time
QUOTE(SWarner1028 @ Dec 28 2011, 12:25 PM) *

Not really related to Brenners question but I shot a 130 class 7 point a few years ago and it had a real gray face. From the top of its head down to its nose. Does this mean it was an older deer? Or some freak thing?

I used to think gray faces showed age till I shot a couple 2.5 yr olds with totally gray muzzles. I think just different genetic characteristics play out here. I know a guy at work that was totally white grey haired and bearded by age 30. Ill be 40 next year and dont have much in the way of grey. At least none Ill admit! smile.gif
nyturkeyduster
You have a great point DT, some deer just seem to carry odd characteristics just like people that make them look older or younger than they really are.
jcELK
I think it can be an accurate way to age deer. It might be the most accurate? You made a really good point about a deers diet. You know there teeth have to wear different if they've fed in a alfalfa field most of there life compared to chomping on acorns, twigs, and other ruffage. The nose to eye measurement is also a measuement that is made by a taxidermist when choosing a form.
ShanePA
The lease i belong to sends one of the bottom front teeth to some lab. i guess they cut it in half and add dye or something. Its suppose to be 100% accurate. costs us 10$ per deer. I only know what im told will try and get more info. Never herd of what you said. But from what i have seen from the deer in my area they are all diff measurements. I killed a 3.5 with a bigger body frame than a 5.5 year old. The only thing i noticed was different about the 5 year old was he didnt have a teaspoon of fat on his entire body. when i was skinning it i didnt know how old it was. dont usually get the results back till april. I would guess that deer in the pic is not over 4.5
Maryland Bowhunter
Brenner the only true way to age a deer is pull a tooth and send if off to be drilled and they count the rings. I would say that the deer your brother shot and seen quite a few years
nyturkeyduster
QUOTE(Maryland Bowhunter @ Feb 4 2012, 12:33 AM) *

Brenner the only true way to age a deer is pull a tooth and send if off to be drilled and they count the rings. I would say that the deer your brother shot and seen quite a few years

Yeah they say that technique is 100% accurate, and only costs $10-$12 per tooth. It wouldn't be a bad idea on older does and bucks. I'm gonna try and drill into some teeth myself and see if i can make out an rings.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.