HELP - SEARCH - MEMBERS - CALENDAR
Full Version: Best Place To Shoot A Deer With A 223 For Youth Hunt
Primos Cabin Chat > Primos® Cabin Chat > Whitetail Deer Hunting
IBkyhunter
Was wondering where the Best place to shoot a deer with a 223 is.
I am takeing my little girl deer hunting this weekend and was wondering. I always shoot them behind the sholder where your supposed to but heard of people shooting them in the neck since it's such a small gun. I know some people totally disagree with neck shots but was needing some suggestions. Will be hunting with a 223 and 69 grain hollow point bullets. Probley won't shoot over 100 yards. Most of the shots will probley be 20 to 30 yards.
Kyhunter03
QUOTE(IBkyhunter @ Oct 8 2009, 05:19 PM) *

Was wondering where the Best place to shoot a deer with a 223 is.
I am takeing my little girl deer hunting this weekend and was wondering. I always shoot them behind the sholder where your supposed to but heard of people shooting them in the neck since it's such a small gun. I know some people totally disagree with neck shots but was needing some suggestions. Will be hunting with a 223 and 69 grain hollow point bullets. Probley won't shoot over 100 yards. Most of the shots will probley be 20 to 30 yards.

I believe if i was you, i would just have her shoot in the same place, behind the shoulder.
Since she is young, and the neck shot being a smaller target, she might have a better chance of a fatal shot in the boiler room.

I like the neck shot on a doe when i want to make sure she's anchored and dont run off.
Especially if she is close to a property line, near a thicket, etc.

By the way, is there a youth hunt this weekend in Ky., i have'nt checked the guide?
Good luck with your daughter this weekend, and i commend you for taking her.

Dale. wink.gif
IBkyhunter
QUOTE(Kyhunter03 @ Oct 8 2009, 06:35 PM) *

I believe if i was you, i would just have her shoot in the same place, behind the shoulder.
Since she is young, and the neck shot being a smaller target, she might have a better chance of a fatal shot in the boiler room.

I like the neck shot on a doe when i want to make sure she's anchored and dont run off.
Especially if she is close to a property line, near a thicket, etc.

By the way, is there a youth hunt this weekend in Ky., i have'nt checked the guide?
Good luck with your daughter this weekend, and i commend you for taking her.

Dale. wink.gif

Thanks and yes in Ky it is this sat and sun. I was thanking the same thing about the neck being smaller target. She does pretty good shooting. I wasn't going to let her shoot unless the deer is still. I might go for the reg shot but haven't tried the neck shot and was wondering if it was usually an instant kill.
nchawkeye
Yep, same place right behind the shoulder...

I used to use a 22-250, back in the 70s where local laws prohibited any rifle over .22 caliber...I killed a couple of dozen deer with it and the 55gr Remington bullets...Now we have deer bullets avaliable in .22 caliber to assist in penetration...Just make sure the bullet is up to the task...That 69gr bullet is probably fine because it's heavy for the caliber...
WiBear
I hunt with a .223 once in a while. Standard shot placement (behind the shoulder) works well for me.
Mlong84
Cant offer any info but am interested to hear the results if any shot is taken. Good luck to you and your daughter.
buckykm1
the neck shot is my favorite shot, 80% of the deer i shoot with a gun are shot in the neck, and it just tips them over right there.

Kevin
cascademountainhunter
or in the head....
critterkillin
i've killed alot of deer with a 223. with a rapid expansion bullet they are a dead right there rifle. just shoot them behind the shoulder and watch them drop.
JYawn
I dont think you can go wrong with a lung shot with any size rifle... I mean if you make em bleed in the lungs they are going to die.... Period. I'm sure you may have a trail you'll have to get after but I wouldn't doubt it would kill the deer.
Kyhunter03
QUOTE(JYawn @ Oct 9 2009, 01:23 PM) *

I dont think you can go wrong with a lung shot with any size rifle... I mean if you make em bleed in the lungs they are going to die.... Period. I'm sure you may have a trail you'll have to get after but I wouldn't doubt it would kill the deer.

I totally agree.

Dale. wink.gif
IBkyhunter
Thanks everyone i got everthing together and ready for tommorrow. I will let everyone know how it goes.
BearTrackFarms
Double lung. They can't live if they can't breathe
IBkyhunter
Something came up and we only got to go 2 times. No luck but we will try during gun season.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.