HELP - SEARCH - MEMBERS - CALENDAR
Full Version: Buck Roar / Snort Wheeze
Primos Cabin Chat > Primos® Cabin Chat > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Buckeye Mike
Just recently bought a Buck Roar call, and have watched the dvd, and understand how and when to use the grunt part of the call, but what about the wheeze part, their was not much time spent on it, just how to make the sound.

My question is when is the best time to use the wheeze, can it be used all season long, or is it best used around the rut ? THANKS Mike
deerlover
It all depends on the deer you are calling to. Some deer run when they hear it and some deer come right in. When throwing the kitchen sink at a deer, sometimes the snort wheeze is the call that will get that bucks attention.

I would probably never snort wheeze at a young buck. It is basically a rattle to a rattle snake, meaning a couple more steps and your in trouble type of attitude.

JYawn
I would assume it would be better in early season to pre-rut b/c this is the times that bucks start fighting and it is a sound that bucks will often make before fighting.
BAM_dogdown
the snort wheeze is a domanance call, I wouldn;t recomend using it on a deer under 3.5 years old. It usually works best in the most intense part of the rut, Using it with a decoy can be very effective. Basically the snort weeze tells other bucks in the area that he is the big boy there and dont mess with him or any of the does he is trying to breed. So if you have a buck out the a ways and your trying to get him to quit chasing does and come under your stand blow the snort wheeze and he'll surley be in
psp8ball
Last year I had a beautiful 8 point (135 P&Y) coming in my direction with his head down looking for does. He stopped about 75 yards away and was on a trail that would take him no closer. I grunted until I was blue in the face but all the buck would do is look. He took a few steps and melted into the brush. As a last ditch effort I mustered the loudest sniff sniff wheeze I could. (just used my mouth, no call) It was like I had him on a string and gave it a tug. He came to within 17 yards of my stand. (only SSW'ed once)

This hunt was early november in Wisconsin. I never got a shot at him because he was either severly quartering to or away from me. He didn't last long though. He walked past my dad later that same night and pops nailed him.
new2decoyhunter
QUOTE(Buckeye Mike @ Aug 5 2009, 07:37 AM) *

Just recently bought a Buck Roar call, and have watched the dvd, and understand how and when to use the grunt part of the call, but what about the wheeze part, their was not much time spent on it, just how to make the sound.

My question is when is the best time to use the wheeze, can it be used all season long, or is it best used around the rut ? THANKS Mike

new2decoyhunter
QUOTE(Buckeye Mike @ Aug 5 2009, 07:37 AM) *

from my experience, snort wheeze only work during all phases of the rut, the biggest buck i had ever got (115 approx.) was chasing does he was about 100 yards never have much success with grunt calls and basically never used any kind of sounds before to atract deer that is because i was gun hunter and really never needed to, now days got into bowhunting so much that i can't put my bow down, any way this buck was chasin does and one of my buddies (the one that got me into bowhunting) mentioned once and show me how to snort wheez and that's what i did to this buck and he was hard chasin does and when he heard my snort he stoppen in his tracks and turned right and where the sound came from geve a broad shot at 20 yards and din't make it very far. By far my greatest experience deer hunting. I hope this help you.
ohiobuckhunter11
mainly a rut thing, make sure you have a lot of stuff around the bottom of your tree so the deer can't just look and see that nothing's there. when you have stuff around you're tree he can't see where the noise is coming from so he has to come in to investigate, i had a lot of success with the roar/wheeze last year. i hope it works the same for you.

Garrett
carrienjr2005
JR and I each have one and use the wheeze during the rut, he had a 10 come in last year to it left the does and headed right for him ready to fight (Fortunately for the big guy JR missed) I used it last year as well with much different results - I had a smaller buck that wouldn't come so I thought what the heck I'll give it a try, the little guy jumped, turned, and hightailed it out of there. Hope that helps and Happy Hunting.
MOwhitetails
I bought a snort wheeze call, I think hunter specialties made it, but I havent had much luck calling one in with it. I paired up with a buddy who uses his mouth to make the call and called in a nice 10 point but I misjudged the yardage and shot under him.
Buckeye Mike
Guys THANKS for all the replys. From what i have read so far, the snort wheeze, is more for the bigger bucks, and not something that you would use every time out, but nice to have in your bag of tricks. THANKS Mike
suro25
I'm going to have to get me one of these calls and give a shot
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.