HELP - SEARCH - MEMBERS - CALENDAR
Full Version: Owl Locator Calls
Primos Cabin Chat > Primos® Cabin Chat > Turkey Hunting
DrTroutman
For those that can't replicate the barred owl with their mouths, which calls sound the most realistic. I tried the Primos single reed call and it was not very good. Sounded more like a duck on steriods. I would like to hear about the HS Strut Hoot Owl or the Southland Hoot locator if anyone knows.
Thanks.
45 days and counting.
jcELK
QUOTE(DrTroutman @ Feb 14 2009, 07:49 PM) *

For those that can't replicate the barred owl with their mouths, which calls sound the most realistic. I tried the Primos single reed call and it was not very good. Sounded more like a duck on steriods. I would like to hear about the HS Strut Hoot Owl or the Southland Hoot locator if anyone knows.
Thanks.
45 days and counting.

It would be hard to beat the H.S. Owl. It's a whole lot better than the Primos Owl Hooter. I like the Knight &Hale Owl Hooter as well. I have never used a Southland Owl Hooter.
I Hunt 365
sorry primos....

this is one area in which primos does not really have a call that stacks up....

We discussed this last year, here is the thread:

http://cabinchat.primos.com/index.php?showtopic=44623

my vote still goes to the Palmers hoot tube... cheap to buy, easy to use, and it works!!
BAP
before i learned how to use my voice i used the palmers hoot tube myself. same as hunt365.

i think its the easiest and best sounding owl call out there..
..bap
Gobble_adict
I completely agree with 365.

Primos does not make a good Owl locator. I love my Palmer's Hoot Tube by H.S. Strut. Sounds extremely realistic.

Rex
GreeneCoDeerKiller
Man they may not sound right but they rip a gooble out of a turkey. I have a pro mag owl, and a Hoot flute, the pro Mag really doesn't sound that bad, but my go to is still the hoot flute. It sounds awful but it works.
BBDexpress
i use my mouth to but have also used HS strauts hoot tube and works well but the primos one may not sound like much but there has been times where i couldn't get the birds to gobble until i used it so i wouldn't give up on it.
TheEdgeBow
QUOTE(DrTroutman @ Feb 14 2009, 03:49 PM) *

Sounded more like a duck on steriods.

Funny that you should say that because I was shown by Big Sean Hammock how to do a owl locator call on a duck call. The Primos Owl call is basically a duck call with a really small insert that is confined. I just use my duck call and use a little bit of hand work! It sounds great! biggrin.gif
peter/pmr
My owl hoot is by HS Strutt,but the one I have is about 10 years old and last year I went to check out a new one ,looking for the same call,and the one I found by them now has two holes in it now instead of one and it doesn't sound like the old one ,but I bought it and found this out,so needless to say I still use my old one!It is a brown colored barrel call with a stem coming off it,the new one os the same shape but black,with a hole in the bottom that you have to cover with a finger ,but I do not know why it is there,or what the purpose is for it!
gobble_head
I agree on the palmer hoot tube it is the best one Ive used or heard.
rrudder4
Couldn't agree more. I use both the HS Strut hoot flute (old one with only one hole) and the Palmer's Hoot Tube.

I do think that the Primos power crow is the best crow call.
tall tine hunter
QUOTE(DrTroutman @ Feb 14 2009, 04:49 PM) *

Thanks.
45 days and counting.

I do most of my owling with mouth but the barred owl call I have from Knight & Hale is a great call!
articcat246
So do all of you guys agree that the HS Strut Palmers Hoot Tube in Maple is the best Owl locator call?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.