HELP - SEARCH - MEMBERS - CALENDAR
Full Version: Rossi Break Open Heavy Barrel Single Shot Rifle
Primos Cabin Chat > Primos® Cabin Chat > Predator - Specialty
Yorktown
Has anyone owned or used a Rossi break open heavy barrel single shot rifle.
I would like to know if they are a good accurate rifle for long range varmints, or are they a poor choice. I know the website says they are made to be accurate, I want the truth. I may be taking shots out to 300 or 400 Yards. your opinion please! blink.gif

http://www.rossiusa.com/whatsnew/HeavyBarrelRifles.cfm
I Hunt 365
they are awesome... very accurate, at least the two I've shot...

I have several Rossi guns and have shot many others... never had an issue and never heard a complaint from anyone else...

my buddy has the heavy barrel in .223 and drives tacks at 300+
Yorktown
Thank you I HUNT 365
My hunting resources are very limited and I cannot squander them on junk.
predators365
AHHHH!! My dad said that there was one at Gander Mountain, and I thought that Rossi was alright (I have a shotgun from them) but I didnt really want to risk it. So instead I bought a jacket and am going to get a shotgun. Might regret that a little. But oh well.
Zigman
Junk! I owned the 223 heavy barrel. Worst riffle I have ever shot. The trigger pull maxed out my buddies scale. Best group I got was 4 inches at 100 yards. Spend the safe amount and get a h&r varmint gun. Its the one with the black synthetic pistol grip and the bull barrel. My cousin just bought one in 22-250. 1 inch group at 100 yards, and a much better trigger. I traded my rossi for a ruger 10/22. Best thing I ever did. Now I own a weatherby sub moa in 223, now thats a shooter!
Yorktown
Oh! ohmy.gif Accurate gun, bad trigger pull? Not a good combo. sad.gif I wonder if the trigger pull was the problem with your group size, very likely.
Thank you for your input, these are the kind of things I want to know about the gun.
Zigman
Oh i'm sure the trigger pull had something to do with it, but some of the groups were so bad I don't think they would have fit in a paper plate at a hundred yards. Now I live 5 min from my range, so I have a chance to shoot alot and I mean this gun was bad. i would definetly go with the H&R varmint gun. My cousins is sweet. Check them out at gunbroker.com. I think they are like 320 bucks.
Yorktown
Maybe I should save my money a little longer and get a savage model 12 with the accu-trigger biggrin.gif It's a lot more money, but it might be worth it.
Zigman
Yeah there are a few guys on here who have them and they say they are scary accurate, and you know the sayin' "only accurate rifles are interesting rifles."
Savage Dude
QUOTE(Yorktown @ Jan 4 2009, 12:19 PM) *

Has anyone owned or used a Rossi break open heavy barrel single shot rifle.
I would like to know if they are a good accurate rifle for long range varmints, or are they a poor choice. I know the website says they are made to be accurate, I want the truth. I may be taking shots out to 300 or 400 Yards. your opinion please! blink.gif

http://www.rossiusa.com/whatsnew/HeavyBarrelRifles.cfm

A fool and his money soon part. Rossi, H&R, NEF they are what they are nothing more and nothing less.
Savage Dude
QUOTE(Yorktown @ Jan 5 2009, 07:52 PM) *

Maybe I should save my money a little longer and get a savage model 12 with the accu-trigger biggrin.gif It's a lot more money, but it might be worth it.

A wise man is a patient man.

If you get the Model 12 with the bull barrel let me know and I will send you a killer hand load. I love my model 12's.
Yorktown
Savage Dude your name might suggest you are a little biased toward the Savage. Putting kids through collage has left my check book so tight it squeaks, that is why I知 looking at a Rossi and dreaming about a Savage. Realistically I値l probably have to stick with my .17 HMR for now.
coyoteodie
QUOTE(Yorktown @ Jan 5 2009, 08:11 PM) *

Savage Dude your name might suggest you are a little biased toward the Savage. Putting kids through collage has left my check book so tight it squeaks, that is why I知 looking at a Rossi and dreaming about a Savage. Realistically I値l probably have to stick with my .17 HMR for now.

Check out a Stevens. Its a savage barreled action without the accutrigger. Thats accuracy on a budget. I would forget any break over gun (except thompsons). They vary so much gun to gun youll never get that debate settled.
Savage Dude
QUOTE(Yorktown @ Jan 5 2009, 10:11 PM) *

I am biased yes. Only because I own two very accurate Savages and my bosses son uses my handload to shoot groups under the size of a dime in a Savage. My .204 will shoot a 10 shot group that measures less than 3/4 of an inch @ 100 yds. I also sell guns for a living so I get to see and handle the best of the best and the all the others. Many of my customers are very good friends so I also get to fire many of the guns that I sell. I have never recommended a Rossi to anyone but I sell many to budget minded people. Rossi just does not have the fit and finish that sets it apart from other guns. My .22-250 is currently shooting at best a 1.5 inch group but I am confident that I can get it down to less than inch and probably in the .5 inch group with a little more experimentation with the reloads. Good or better optics are a key factor as well. 40 years ago a tasco scope served me quite well but no longer these old eyes need something better. If I could afford them I would have nothing but Schmidt and Bender optics. Sitting atop my 204 is a Leupold and Stevens scope that sell for about 400 more than the rifle. The 22-250 is gonna get the same or a Sightron SIII. I like shooting but I also like shooting accurately. If they don't shoot I don't keep them around. The ole Savage has surprised a bunch of shooters that own some pretty fancy guns. Yup I am biased but if they didn't shoot, tomorrow I could become Anschutz Dude!
I Hunt 365
i agree there are other rifles out there that are better....however, that wasn't the question....

trigger pull on any gun can be easily and cheaply fixed with the EZ pull trigger....

if you have a gun that is really shooting poorly, you may have a "lemon", i would contact rossi... I've never seen one that shot poorly....

you can get better rifles.... I would rather save the money and use it to actually go on a hunt.... IMHO the rossi's are a great deal for the money and shoot good enough to kill....
Yorktown
QUOTE(I Hunt 365 @ Jan 6 2009, 06:31 AM) *

i agree there are other rifles out there that are better....however, that wasn't the question....

trigger pull on any gun can be easily and cheaply fixed with the EZ pull trigger....

if you have a gun that is really shooting poorly, you may have a "lemon", i would contact rossi... I've never seen one that shot poorly....

you can get better rifles.... I would rather save the money and use it to actually go on a hunt.... IMHO the rossi's are a great deal for the money and shoot good enough to kill....

Yes I am aware that there are better rifles available. The Rossi website made this gun sound like a decent dog buster with a decent price, so I thought I would check it out. That is why I asked the opinion of others, and as always your opinions are appreciated.
I also know that the problems Zigman described may not be a good representation of All Rossi rifles, if it were Rossi would soon be out of business.
When it comes to budgeting my priorities are God first, family second, pleasure last. If I were to reverse that order I could easy afford the Savage. smile.gif
lifeon2
check these guys out they have several forums dedicated to single shot h&r and nef firearms

http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php
Yorktown
QUOTE(coyoteodie @ Jan 5 2009, 11:20 PM) *

Check out a Stevens. Its a savage barreled action without the accutrigger. Thats accuracy on a budget. I would forget any break over gun (except thompsons). They vary so much gun to gun youll never get that debate settled.

I found a Stevens Model 200 in .223 for about a $100 more than the Rissi.
Is this a good "Functional" choice for groundhogs, and coyotes, at 300 yards?
Zigman
Yeah those stevens will shot. A guy at my range had one and he was shooting decent groups with his with some real cheap ammo. It has a sporter barrel, so it will heat up quik if you are doing some rapid shootin' on praisrie dogs.
Did you take a look at that H&R Varminter.
Check this one out.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=119650709

Yorktown
QUOTE(Zigman @ Jan 6 2009, 08:38 PM) *

Yeah those stevens will shot. A guy at my range had one and he was shooting decent groups with his with some real cheap ammo. It has a sporter barrel, so it will heat up quik if you are doing some rapid shootin' on praisrie dogs.
Did you take a look at that H&R Varminter.
Check this one out.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=119650709

Yes I did the local gun shop has one in .204 Ruger, priced at around $250.
They are the ones that also suggested the Rossi.
We don't have prairie dogs in Ohio, but they sound like fun. We didn't have coyotes until about 30 years ago they just showed up and took over.
yoteslayerzm
I agree with Zigman get the h&r i have one in 223 it is a really nice rifle, and the price is right on them.
Yorktown
QUOTE(yoteslayerzm @ Jan 9 2009, 12:41 PM) *

I agree with Zigman get the h&r i have one in 223 it is a really nice rifle, and the price is right on them.

Savage Dude may win on this one, I found a Savage model 10 GXP3 for a really good price if it is still available after next payday I might have enough money to buy it.
killshot84
QUOTE(Yorktown @ Jan 5 2009, 06:52 PM) *

Now you are talking I got the 22-250,H&R hes right looks real good but the biggest piece of crap i have ever owned. When the gun is not breaking open after you shoot, bout 4" at 100 yards is what I get also on the lead sled. Save your money and get a savage NOt tring to tell you what to do but i let everybody talk me into a H&R and that wasnt the best thing i ever did let me tell ya.. good luck
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.