HELP - SEARCH - MEMBERS - CALENDAR
Full Version: Waterproofing Ground Blinds
Primos Cabin Chat > Primos® Cabin Chat > Equipment
I Hunt 365
Not sure why no ground blind companies have figured out to make blinds out of Gore-Tex yet... lots of tents are waterproof... or they could at least sell a waterproof rain fly for the blinds.... Primos Double Bulll - are you listening???!!!!

Anyway, looking for something I can spray on my ground blind to keep the water beading up and running off, instead of soaking in and dripping down. Any suggestions on a good water-proof spray?

Any other solutions to this problem?
GreeneCoDeerKiller
Rain-x does good, put it on all of my blinds and have stayed dry on some really wet days.
dte76
QUOTE(GreeneCoDeerKiller @ Jul 5 2008, 10:06 PM) *

Rain-x does good, put it on all of my blinds and have stayed dry on some really wet days.

is that the same rain x for windshields? how do you apply it?
I Hunt 365
That's what I'm wondering, is this the same Rain X for cars? How do you apply it? Does it smell?

Any other ideas out there?
GreeneCoDeerKiller
I guess it is I found some awhile back that came in a spray can and just sprayed in on, and them left it poped out in the yard for a couple hours while it dried, and aired out at the same time.
I Hunt 365
Thanks, that's what I needed to know.
stoutk
I'm guessing they don't make em out of gore tex b/c of money! Thank about a goretex jacket that is 200-400 bucks! Imagine putting that much product on a tent size structure...big bucks! Try the rain x...I've never heard of trying that...but I am going to try it now!
dte76
yeah im going to try the rain x..sounds like a good idea.....also i wonder if spray on scotch gaurd would work?that stuff you spray on your boots
I Hunt 365
QUOTE(stoutk @ Jul 6 2008, 07:58 PM) *

I'm guessing they don't make em out of gore tex b/c of money! Thank about a goretex jacket that is 200-400 bucks! Imagine putting that much product on a tent size structure...big bucks! Try the rain x...I've never heard of trying that...but I am going to try it now!

Well, not all Gore-Tex is that expensive, but I do see your point....

I still think they should make a rain fly or some type of cover and offer it as an additional accessory. If people are going to spend $400 on a ground blind, I don't think they will care about another $50 to stay dry. The could just have a solid piece of material 4' x 4' with some cinch straps or something, that would work for any and all models of ground blind....

Just a thought....

I will try the Rain-X on some material and see how it works, but I'm worried about the odor.... gonna have to test it out before I spray it on my blind....
Double Bull Pro
There is really no good answer to applying water proofing on the blinds. We have tried many products and we have found nothing yet. As for the rain fly, all that will do is cause wind flap and thats a no no in ground blind hunting. There isnt an animal out there that will put up with wind flap. Gore-tex is a good thought but this option would be very costly. I have hunted out of double bulls for long time and have been through every type of weather condition including downpours and have stayed fairly dry.
peter/pmr
[i]I use Campdry tent spray on all my gear fanny packs too tents and blinds treestand sets and even my old goretex boots by Rocky that my feet got soaked in the first day I ever used them on a muzzle loader hunt! One application and no problems since! Walmart for 3-4 dollars a can!Rain-X is interesting though! I just bought a Double Bull so I will keep that in mind when it leaks I will use that instead just too compare too the campdry!
benfishin
QUOTE(Double Bull Pro @ Jul 8 2008, 09:25 PM) *

There is really no good answer to applying water proofing on the blinds. We have tried many products and we have found nothing yet. As for the rain fly, all that will do is cause wind flap and thats a no no in ground blind hunting. There isnt an animal out there that will put up with wind flap. Gore-tex is a good thought but this option would be very costly. I have hunted out of double bulls for long time and have been through every type of weather condition including downpours and have stayed fairly dry.

I don't understand why the various waterproofing sprays don't work on the Duble Bulls. I have a dark horse. Could you explain what happened when you sprayed the blinds? Shine, fabric damage, etc?
bdhunter
A spray can of Camp Dry is what you guys need. Works on everything.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.