HELP - SEARCH - MEMBERS - CALENDAR
Full Version: Best Chokes?
Primos Cabin Chat > Primos® Cabin Chat > Turkey Hunting
ryan fox
the chokes that came with my remington 1187 suck. what are your recommendations for a choke with the tightest pattern?
Swamp Collie
Try different shells first of all. Nobody is going to be able to give you a magic bullet because every gun is different.

I've had great success with Pure Gold, Rhino and Briley personally. Indian Creek is also making a dang fine tube that is setting a lot of records right now. And of course the jellyhead is probably the best buy for the money.

If you want the tightest patterns possible... you need to be shooting a high density shot as well... hevi-13, extended range, wingmaster, hevi-shot... something to that effect... make sure the tube you buy is compatable with such shot types.
Sooner44
Rem 870 3" 12ga Turkey:

I switched from my stock Remchoke X-full to the Jelly head. The Jellyhead seemed to pattern pretty good, but the pattern broke up pretty bad at about 40 yards. Keep in mind, I am shooting a 21" barrel. I then went to the Indian Creek .665 choke, this put the pattern where it needed to be at 40 yards. Absolutely great pattern at 30 yards, and a dang fine one at 40. Since I don't shoot 50 or beyond, this is what I settled on.

I tried the Hevi shot, and although it shoots well, there was not enough difference at 40 yards to spend the xtra cash to shoot the HD. I patterned Win XRHD & Hevi-13, and compared patterns with all chokes againt the Win Supreme HV loads in 5 shot (Black shells) and the Win HV shot right with them, not enough difference to change.

Hope this helps, Good Luck !!

Sooner
IMINRUT
My search ended at Indian Creek. The choke they offer is out of this world. I've patterned 4 chokes out of my shotgun and it just rocks all of them. Comp-n-choke are a close second but there were voids in the pattern and it was a little more finicky with different shot shells. I'd try the Jellyhead, Comp-n-choke, or Indian creek. If you want to shoot Hevi-shot be advised that many chokes are not compatible. Comp-n-choke is one of them.

I got a Tom saturday with the indian creek at 45 yards and it absolutely flattened him. I stopped counting at 7 head hits, who knows how many neck hits. Anyways at 45 with lead shot this is an AWESOME pattern. Usually 40 is my max. but this bird was hung up and I let fly. Beware of folks talking about 70 yard shot with this choke or that shot, 40 is the standard, you'll lose energy and pattern density past 40. I know longer shots are taken but I wouldn't recommend it unless you've extensive patterning at all ranges. I've personally shot birds at 40 and although they were killed I could tell we were stretching the limits. A wounded bird is very possible past 40 and nobody wants that.

Good luck.

Wow I didn't even read the other posts before I responded. Indian Creek is just freeking nuts. I had the same experience with the Jellyhead and undertaker. They are fine for sure but 40 is it on those. C&C is a step above but Indian Creek is the best I've seen and wont even bother looking any further.
GreeneCoDeerKiller
I got really good patterns with a Rem turkey choke, with winchester supreme 2 oz 5s, and the tru glo gobbler stopper and tight wad with the same load. The undertaker is supossed to be a good choke. Comp-n-choke XXX-full is a great choke, as is the Pure gold and the kicks choke.
clarkeman1954
Indian Creek!
BAP
i tried out the comp-n-choke xxx in my 18.5 mossy tacktical this year using 3.5 win. h.v
and have had great success out to 45 yards and this setup dropped my 2 birds and 4 more for buddies of mine the furthest was 69 paces.... yes 69 , if i would have known he was going to shoot that far i would have told him not to.....but i didnt and he did and got a nice gobbler ...the shot droped him deader -n-hammer with 14 pellet hit in the head..
cascademountainhunter
i dont know but i think i need one for the 870 cause at 45 yards buckshot groups within like 5 feet.
i was really disapointed. guess i need a model 97 for that range.
Gobblerslayer
I've shot a Mossberg 835 for years. I have had the Mad Max choke tube installed in it for a while now. This is the older version for lead shot only. At 30 yards it puts a lot of pellets in the kill zone. I have killed several turkeys with this combo. I also have the newer version for the hevi-shot but haven't had the chance to give it a shot yet.
Dust
Primos Jelly heads are AWESOME. My 2 brothers have them in there Benelli's and they are DEADLY. I have a Pure gold in mine. Got it before primo came out with theres and it is a killer to. Mine and my brothers with Win. Ext. 3.5 #6's have killed birds at 65 and 70 yards.
Maken'em'jelly
Purchase the primos Jelly Head. You won't be sorry! I have shot the remington extra full and it doesn't come close to what the Jelly Head can do.
nhturkeydude
Hi
I shoot a 835 Ulti-Mag Thumbhole 22" barrell with a Stardot Choke Tube with Winchester
Supreme HV # 6 Deadly at 40 yards http://www.hunt101.com/data/525/medium/158...1267_Small_.JPG
atwoodflash
You should try a Carlson's .660. The price is better than CNC and they use a better material than Indian Creek. This choke retails for $24.95
Randolph Cox
I have had good resuts with the old Mad max,Star dot,and I am currently using a kicks .665 in my 870 super mag
atwoodflash
A Carlson's .660 is a good bet. It cost half of the Indian Creek and CNC and performs just as good. They have also been around a lot longer and have great customer service. Give them a shot.
turkey master 911
11-87 Rhino 660 Nitro Hevi-Shot 4-5-7's 233 pellets 9" circle 40 yards
Scottrock11
kicks gobblin thunder does the trick for me, shoots awesome patterns at 40 yards and i took a bird this year at 61 yards. dropped him dead in his tracks. i would recommend this choke to anyone with any gun and also winchester ammunition
slickyboyboo
Remington 870 super mag - 26" barrel - Jellyhead .660 choke - Custom Handloads that I can load cheaper than factory Hevi-13s.

1 3/4 oz of #6 Hevi - 287 hits in 10" at 40 yds 69% of the Payload in the 10" circle.
1 3/4 oz Hevi Handload

2 1/4 oz of #6 Hevi - 344 hits in 10" at 40 yds 64.5% of the Payload in the 10" circle.
2 1/4 oz Hevi Handload
V104
I agree with scottrock11, the kicks gobblin thunder mixed with winchester extended range #5's is a great combo. good luck
Tommy -Deadeye- Barham
Just get you a Primos Jellyhead and some HEVISHOT !!!!!!!!!!!!
in HIM,
Deadeye
peter/pmr
I have dumped some turkeys with my Mossberge 835 and I use Comp-n-Choke XXX with Winchester Supremes #6's and trust me they go down at 45 yards!I actually dropped one bird last year at 52 yards and it did not move!I put the laser range finder on the bird after the shot and it was 52 yards!Do what you want but if it was me I would be looking into a Comp-N-Choke XXX!

results

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm257/p...ewphotos018.jpg
http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm257/p...ewphotos023.jpg
http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm257/p...08/IMG_4417.jpg
tall tine hunter
I would definitely try an assortment of load's. I have the 1187 super mag. i put the mad max choke tube in mine. But there are other's that are just as good. i shoot winchester extended range 3" #5's. I have shot this set up for several year's. It wad's em. best set up in over 20 year's of huntin em. good luck in your search. bloody their head's. good huntin
MichiganHunter855
well i have the primos tight wad and when i was buyin steel shot for geese i pick up by acceident remington exspress buffered extented range and i got those in #4''s, will the 4 work for turkey?
tall tine hunter
QUOTE(MichiganHunter855 @ Sep 19 2008, 11:46 PM) *

well i have the primos tight wad and when i was buyin steel shot for geese i pick up by acceident remington exspress buffered extented range and i got those in #4''s, will the 4 work for turkey?

If they pattern good out to 40 sure they'll work. I've just alway's used #5's. The combo that i have now,hasn't failed me not in the past 6 year's anyway. knock on wood.lol
eddie234
I guess this will be my first post. So if I may reopen this. This past spring was my first turkey season, I was able to harvest a nice jake.
I picked up a Winchester 1300 at the local pawn shop, I looked like new. Got a undertaker tube at wally world and use Remington #4's. With my less than good calling I was able to get my turkey at 20 yards.
This summer I thought it might be a good idea to pattern my shotgun, I used the same combo and at 40 yards had a decent pattern but everyone said I could do better so the search was on I tried many chokes and shells. While at Cabela's I found a comp-n-choke in .665 for $10.00 so I bought it, after I got it home I read were they recommend a .655 for a barrel length less than 26 in, The Winchester I have has a 22" so I called the nice people at comp-n-choke and the exchanged it for me. I picked up a box of Winchester HV#6's and they pattern very nicely. HOWEVER I a little scared of the swarming #6's, I have read many post that they work very well and other say no penetration. I picked up a box of the Winchester HV #5's. I haven't pattered those yet but I figure they should be just as good as the #6's.
My choice would be the Comp-n-choke. My personal belief would be that if you get a good quality choke you can find a shell to match it.
tall tine hunter
QUOTE(eddie234 @ Oct 12 2008, 01:51 PM) *

I guess this will be my first post. So if I may reopen this. This past spring was my first turkey season, I was able to harvest a nice jake.
I picked up a Winchester 1300 at the local pawn shop, I looked like new. Got a undertaker tube at wally world and use Remington #4's. With my less than good calling I was able to get my turkey at 20 yards.
This summer I thought it might be a good idea to pattern my shotgun, I used the same combo and at 40 yards had a decent pattern but everyone said I could do better so the search was on I tried many chokes and shells. While at Cabela's I found a comp-n-choke in .665 for $10.00 so I bought it, after I got it home I read were they recommend a .655 for a barrel length less than 26 in, The Winchester I have has a 22" so I called the nice people at comp-n-choke and the exchanged it for me. I picked up a box of Winchester HV#6's and they pattern very nicely. HOWEVER I a little scared of the swarming #6's, I have read many post that they work very well and other say no penetration. I picked up a box of the Winchester HV #5's. I haven't pattered those yet but I figure they should be just as good as the #6's.
My choice would be the Comp-n-choke. My personal belief would be that if you get a good quality choke you can find a shell to match it.

just try different load's. If ya find one that pattern's good for ya that's the ticket. If it's gonna squash their melon at 40 yd's thats all ya need. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.