HELP - SEARCH - MEMBERS - CALENDAR
Full Version: 20 Gauge Turkey Guns
Primos Cabin Chat > Primos® Cabin Chat > Turkey Hunting
psychobilly451
how many hunters in here choose to use a 20 gauge for turkey?

I do. I use a mossberg 500 20 gauge with Tightwad choke.

I would love to discuss the ins and outs.
nyturkeyduster
I use a Remington 870 Express Magnum 20 gauge. I use either Hevi-Shot 3 inch #5s or Winchester Supreme Double X Magnum loads in #6. I currently use a Remington Super Full Turkey choke but Plan on buying a Jellyhead for it before the season comes.

I love this gun, its my baby. I've killed the majority of my birds with it. The farthest being right around 48 yards. It's light, easy to carry and has awesome piontabilty. Shoots like a dream. Its actually having a new spring and pin installed right now to keep up on the workout it gets every year.
buck_hunter21
I personally use a 870 12 gauge. However, I plan on letting my girlfriend use my 20 gauge this year. Never really used one for turkey loads so I am interested in seeing the distance it can stay consistent. I will def. be checking back with this post to see what everyone has to say about 20 gauges and tukry hunting.
StruttinBuck
I use a Remington 870 Wingmaster LW Magnum 20 Gauge and i love it!! I got a jellyhead for it and i shoot Remington Copper Plated Buffered 3 Inch 1 1/4 ounce #6s and it is an awsome combo!!! Dropped my first bird with it at 40 yards, and my second bird at 35 yards! One heck of a turkey gun smile.gif
psychobilly451
I might buy some more kinds of ammo to see if i can find a better pattern, but 30-35yrds with Winchester Supreme X #5s or Remington Nitros #5s is full acceptable. I dont really want to spend $20+ on a box of shells.

I am thinking of hitting it with some steel wool to matte the finish. Plus my gun really needs a sling I think.
psychobilly451
nyturkeyduster
how many pellets are you getting in the kill zone when you pattern your gun at 40+ yrds
nyturkeyduster
QUOTE(psychobilly451 @ Jan 16 2008, 09:49 PM) *

nyturkeyduster
how many pellets are you getting in the kill zone when you pattern your gun at 40+ yrds

Its never been short of 10 depending on which load I've been using, its usually right around 13-16. The bird I shot at 48-50 yards was more luck than anything. I misjuged the distance. I prefer all my birds to be under 30 yards before taking the shot, but if they spook or hang up I'm not afraid to shoot as long as the bird is 45 yards or less.
psychobilly451
well I had my buddy matte the finish on my gun, he also epoxied my front sight, reshaped and worked the trigger.

oh and he gave me a sling for it! biggrin.gif
Pressured Gobblers
QUOTE(nyturkeyduster @ Jan 17 2008, 02:22 PM) *

Its never been short of 10 depending on which load I've been using, its usually right around 13-16. The bird I shot at 48-50 yards was more luck than anything. I misjuged the distance. I prefer all my birds to be under 30 yards before taking the shot, but if they spook or hang up I'm not afraid to shoot as long as the bird is 45 yards or less.

Man your 20ga is shooting right up there with 3.5" mags... wink.gif

I guess BT tuned your 20ga huh
Tommy -Deadeye- Barham
I've been shooting an 870 20ga now for several years. It is the most awesome gun I have ever shot. I use it for everything I shoot except deer. I use HEVI-SHOT not because
of the 20ga but because it is the most awesome shot out.
in HIM,
Deadeye
npirish1
Personally i carry a Rem. 870 express 12ga. with and Undertaker choke, its decent but im keeping my eye open for a nice 20ga because i heard a lotta guys prefer it for turkey. Although i do believe that if ya find the right combination of load choke and gun, it doesnt matter if its 20 or 12ga.
dawei
QUOTE(psychobilly451 @ Jan 14 2008, 06:55 PM) *

I wrote this two years ago & it holds true today:

As I get older (will be 56 in 6 weeks), the hills steeper, & the miles longer; I use a 20ga; and a Mossberg® by choice for several reasons:
• I got tired of the heavy weight of a 12ga & the heavy recoil of the same. The 20ga is about 1½ lbs lighter & the recoil significantly less.
• While I'm right-handed, I'm left eye dominant & thus shoot a long gun left handed. The ambidextrous top-tang safety was a big plus for me. Additionally the Winchester® & Remington® guns only have a 2 year warranty & the Mossberg® has a 10 year warranty.
• Remington® guns require Remington® chokes. Within gauge however Browning Invector®, H&R®, Mossberg®, SKB®, Savage®, Weatherby® & Winchester® chokes ARE FULLY INTERCHANGEABLE!
• A Remington® 870 Express, on sale where I Iive costs $269.99+tax & comes with one choke, no sling or swivels. Conversely for $50.00 less I got a Mossberg® with three chokes, slings, and swivels. (You get the picture).

I'm not knocking the Remington® or Winchester; it's just for me, the Mossberg® offers more for less money. The Mossberg® is not a cheap gun; it's an inexpensive gun, there's a big difference between the two. Now as to patterns & performance; chokes & ammo, this is what I have found & direction I'm heading (20ga Mossberg® specific):

Mossberg® X-FACTOR™ Extended Ported TURKEY Tubes (lead only) Models 500®, 505®
20 X-FACTOR-Ported Turkey tube .584" 95231 $36.00
Mossberg® Accu-Choke™ Tubes (Models 500®, 9200® and Maverick 88™)
20 Full .590" 95215 $15.00
20 Modified .600" 95220 $15.00
20 Imp Cylinder .610" 95225 $15.00
20 X-Full .585" 95230 $15.00

Carlsons® 20 GA FLUSH MOUNT
DISC ITEM# CONST PRICE
Cyl #10107 .620 $19.99
Skeet #10101 .615 $19.99
I.C. #10102 .610 $19.99
Modified #10103 .600 $19.99
Imp.Mod. #10106 .595 $19.99
Full #10104 .590 $19.99
X-Full #10105 .585 $19.99
Turkey #10108 .575 $19.99

Hastings®SPECIAL 20 GA. EXTENDED TURKEY CHOKES FOR LEAD SHOT ONLY (wrench included)
Stock No. Description Price
I20562 20 ga. Chokes .562" Parallel Diameter $29.99
I20566 20 ga. Chokes .566" Parallel Diameter $29.99
I20570 20 ga. Chokes .570" Parallel Diameter $29.99
I20574 20 ga. Chokes .574" Parallel Diameter $29.99
I20578 20 ga. Chokes .578" Parallel Diameter $29.99

The tubes shown in red are the ones that I have. All are rated for Hevi•Shot® with the exception of the Carlsons®. My son & I have experimented with many load & choke combinations (his gun is a Winchester® 20ga pump). What we did was use the same, exact, choke tube in my Mossberg® and his Winchester®. Clearly understand I DO NOT MEAN TWO CHOKE TUBES EXACTLY ALIKE; I MEAN WE USED THE TUBE IN MY GUN THEN PUT IT IN HIS GUN. My Mossberg® has a 26" barrel; his Winchester® a 28" barrel. We used 3" Mag Remington Hevi•Shot® 1¼oz #4, 5, & 6 shot & 3" Federal GrandSlam® 1 5/16oz #4, 5, & 6 shot. Our findings were:

• All chokes, in both guns, WOULD NOT PATTERN #4 SHOT IN A DENSE PATTERN SUITABLE FOR TURKEY HUNTING.
• The same choke & shot combination DID NOT PERFORM THE SAME IN EACH GUN. (I'll cite below)
• Conventional wisdom states that Hevi•Shot® needs a more open choke than lead shot. WE DID NOT FIND THAT TO BE TRUE.
• Hevi•Shot® doesn't always pattern "tighter" than lead.

My son's Winchester® has a definite preference for #5 shot. The absolute best load and choke combination for him was Carlsons® .575" Turkey Choke and the Federal GrandSlam® 1 5/16oz #5 copper-plated shot. My Mossberg® with any of our chokes DOES NOT pattern #5 shot as well as my son's Winchester®. My Mossberg® is at is absolute best with #6 shot and the Hastings® .570" Choke Tube. Using Hevi•Shot® or Federal lead it consistently puts 27-29 pellets in a 3" circle out to 40 yds. (With the Hevi•Shot® it's always 27 pellets! Using Federal lead shot its 28-29 pellets). My best target is before me from last year's tests. It reflects 61 pellets in the head & neck with 16 pellets in the brain & spine using Federal GrandSlam® 1 5/16oz #6. (This target DOES NOT reflect the 3" circle). I stated earlier the same choke doesn't perform the same in different guns; let me illustrate. When I shot the Federal® lead load of #5 shot with the Carlsons® tube I got 17 pellets in the 3" circle on the target. When my son used the same combination in his gun he puts 25 pellets into the 3" circle. When I use the Hastings® .570 tube & Federal #6 shot I put 29 pellets in the 3" circle. Using the same combination in his gun my son put only 11 pellets in the 3" circle. SAME CHOKES & SHOT YET THEY PATTERN FAR DIFFERENTLY. Thus you can see why my son uses the Carlsons® choke & lead 5's and I the Hastings® choke & lead 6's.

What my son & I hope to do in the next couple of weeks is try Winchester Double-X Magnum loads & see how they perform with the above chokes; (#5 & 6 shot only). Additionally I will purchase the SWARM® Tube, & see where those tests take us. If we run out of Hevi•Shot® due to our testing oh well; both of us have proven performers in the Federal Grand Slam loads.

Sorry to ramble on so much. Lastly take a look here:

http://www.allaboutshooting.com/

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=3163692--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
hobbes
I will probably never give up my 12, but will be purchasing a 20 for my 9 yr old. I plan to buy one of the Youth models. I'll have to give the Mossberg a good look, but I've been a remington guy for a while. The couple Mossbergs that my dad and brother owned, two different 835's and a 500 (I think) auto, patterned great but were each traded in due to multiple problems.

The auto my father had was a jamming nightmare and both 835's would hang the second shell when ejecting the first then you would end up kicking the second shell out into the leaves or mud or whatever and end up with only two shots. Not a big deal turkey hunting, but in the duck blind it stinks. Also, I don't like paying for something that doesn't perform. One of the old Drury videos showed an 835 doing the same thing in slow motion if you payed attention.

I honestly like some of the Mossberg features, but I don't think these were isolated problems at the time. Mossberg even took one of the shotguns back for repair, almost never got it back after they misplaced it, then it was returned without the problem fixed. Shop had several returned with same complaint. I honestly dont' think Mossberg is a bad gun, but previous experience left a bad taste. Ever experience any of these problems with the Mossberg 20?
buck_hunter21
I agree. I would rather have a Remington and not worry about it falling apart or jamming up. Mossberg comes with a ten year warranty true, but my buddies say they put it to use more often than not.
psychobilly451
I am glad 20 gauge guns are getting used.

dawei- thanks for your extended post. I wish I lived close to you so I could see how my gun performs with all of those choke tubes!

my only complaints with my mossberg were forend rattle & trigger smoothness of movement. a buddy of mine did trigger work but nothing can be done about the rattle.
hobbes
I'll be stopping by bass pro or sportsmans in a couple days and checking out the 20's. I'm a remington guy as stated above, but I really like the options on the Youth Mossberg 20. The trigger pull length can be change from 12 to 13" and the gun comes with a fiber optic sight. All of that comes at a lower price. I'll have to give the gun a once over and compare to the Remington 20. Comparing specs, I'm leaning toward the Mossberg. My inspection of the gun will just have to overcome my previous bad experiences with Mossberg.
CR4
Remington 1187 youth model 20 gauge. Jellyhead choke shooting 3" Hevi-Shot 5's. I used to hunt with an 870 SuperMag until last year when I bought the 20 and set it up for my wife to shoot. It patterned so well I hung up the 12 gauge. The only time I hunt with the 12 now is when my wife goes and she takes "her" 20 gauge back. I dont make a habit out of shooting at this distance but I killed a longbeard with it last year at 48 yards and it dropped like a bag of rocks.
Cat Call 26
I bought the Rem 870 Express 20ga this summer and was planning on letting my kids shot it. That was before I hunted doves with it. Now I feel bad I have bought two since and have put the 12 ga up. Actually sold all but 1 12ga. I plan on using it for Gobblers this spring. I downed two flying woodies with it on the only duck hunt I went on this year.
Randolph Cox
I can only think of 2 bad things off the top of my head.Decrease in range as compared to a 12ga w 3 1/2" shells..and fewer choke/ammo choices.
Randolph Cox
Deleted two posts!!!Keep it clean,and respectful please!
Randolph Cox
QUOTE(hobbes @ Feb 9 2008, 01:32 PM) *

I'll be stopping by bass pro or sportsmans in a couple days and checking out the 20's. I'm a remington guy as stated above, but I really like the options on the Youth Mossberg 20. The trigger pull length can be change from 12 to 13" and the gun comes with a fiber optic sight. All of that comes at a lower price. I'll have to give the gun a once over and compare to the Remington 20. Comparing specs, I'm leaning toward the Mossberg. My inspection of the gun will just have to overcome my previous bad experiences with Mossberg.

hobbes pay close attention to those f/o sights on that mossberg.I have seen a few 835's with the same f/o sights and they are flimsy,they will move.I am mainly referring to the rear sight.I would go with the double bead or put a tru glo magnum gobble dot pro on there.The pro is metal and fully adjustable.

The only thing I don't like about mossberg is the stiff trigger.Check on that too.It may make a difference with youngsters.
Rockin JM
I killed my first turkey when I was in the 5th grade with a remington 870 express youth 20 ga. I absolutely love this gun. I am 22 now and I will still carry that little short thing to the woods with me. I don't have any type of turkey choke or anything in it. I just use a full choke and 3 inch number 5's. I do plan on getting an undertaker choke for it so I can extend my yardage with it. But the first bird I killed with it was at a lil over 35 yards and he never even flopped. I love the little guns.
cuz_8305
I bought a youth model 1187 in a 20 gauge for my son last year. I put a primos jellyhead in it & it is unreal. huh.gif
Randolph Cox
QUOTE(cuz_8305 @ Feb 17 2008, 08:15 PM) *

I bought a youth model 1187 in a 20 gauge for my son last year. I put a primos jellyhead in it & it is unreal. huh.gif

What ammo are you using cuz?What kind of barrel lengths do y'all have?
CoalGobbler
i have a win 1300 20 ga. and it does very well as far as patterns go. my buddy uses a 20 ga. all the time and has no problems bringing them down!
hobbes
QUOTE(Randolph Cox @ Feb 17 2008, 01:15 PM) *

hobbes pay close attention to those f/o sights on that mossberg.I have seen a few 835's with the same f/o sights and they are flimsy,they will move.I am mainly referring to the rear sight.I would go with the double bead or put a tru glo magnum gobble dot pro on there.The pro is metal and fully adjustable.

The only thing I don't like about mossberg is the stiff trigger.Check on that too.It may make a difference with youngsters.

Well after stopping by Sportsmans Warehouse, Dicks Sporting Goods and Bass Pro, neither of them had the mossberg that I wanted to look at. They had the 870 and the plain mossberg youth 20. I'm still going to take a look at the mossberg in camo w/ sights and interchangeable trigger pull lengths, but if it doesn't feel any better than the mossberg I did get to look at I'm sticking with the 870. Maybe its all in my head, but the gun's action just felt sloppy.
Randolph Cox
I checked out the 870 youth with a 21" barrel,and wood stocks.It has a 13" length of pull..that makes a big difference in the way my son holds it.He can manage it alot easier.It was $268,so i am going to get it in a week or so.I am waiting on another guy to tell me how his jellyhead works in his gun before I make my mind up what choke I am going to get.
StruttinBuck
My 20 has got a 28 inch barrel on it with a Jellyhead in the end of it. cool.gif

My opinion Jellyhead is the best choke out there wink.gif

cuz_8305
QUOTE(Randolph Cox @ Feb 17 2008, 08:06 PM) *

What ammo are you using cuz?What kind of barrel lengths do y'all have?

It has a 20" barrel & we are shooting 3" nitro 4x5x7 1/2 heavyshot but it also shoots very good with 3" #6 remington nitros.
Randolph Cox
Thanks!
Jack Flynn
QUOTE(psychobilly451 @ Jan 14 2008, 06:55 PM) *

I shoot a Browning B80 20 ga. and love it. I'll never shoot a 12 again.
67charger
I bought my 10 yr old the mossberg bantam 500 last year with both barrels in camo synthetic for $325, and he has enjoyed it very much. No problems with it. I was keeping his factory full choke in it for turkey thinking he would be good to go for a closer shot and still be able to reach out. Unfortunately during last weekend Pa youth hunt he was given a 35 yd jake that would not come in and he took the shot. 3" winchester XXmag turkey loads in 1 1/4oz #5 and it peppered the bird, but simply stood there unscathed. he squeezed off a second shot after 10 secs but the bird had already started moving and it flew off. I felt bad for not getting him a turkey choke. I wanted a tighter choke than the factory full choke measuring .585 so I bought a accu-choke in "X-full TURKEY" and it only measures .583"- surprisingly only .002" tighter than the factory full! Last year a friend let me borrow his hastings choked and we had it patterened and good pellet count at 35 yds, so I again borrrowed it and it is a hstings and measures .566. I a convinced I want a tighter .565- .570 choke. The gun will do 35 yds, I have seen it, but the choke needs to be selected properly, and tested
VERMONT BUCK
QUOTE(67charger @ Apr 30 2010, 02:03 PM) *

I bought my 10 yr old the mossberg bantam 500 last year with both barrels in camo synthetic for $325, and he has enjoyed it very much. No problems with it. I was keeping his factory full choke in it for turkey thinking he would be good to go for a closer shot and still be able to reach out. Unfortunately during last weekend Pa youth hunt he was given a 35 yd jake that would not come in and he took the shot. 3" winchester XXmag turkey loads in 1 1/4oz #5 and it peppered the bird, but simply stood there unscathed. he squeezed off a second shot after 10 secs but the bird had already started moving and it flew off. I felt bad for not getting him a turkey choke. I wanted a tighter choke than the factory full choke measuring .585 so I bought a accu-choke in "X-full TURKEY" and it only measures .583"- surprisingly only .002" tighter than the factory full! Last year a friend let me borrow his hastings choked and we had it patterened and good pellet count at 35 yds, so I again borrrowed it and it is a hstings and measures .566. I a convinced I want a tighter .565- .570 choke. The gun will do 35 yds, I have seen it, but the choke needs to be selected properly, and tested

I BOUGHT THE SAME GUN FOR MY 9 YEAROLD THIS YEAR. ALDO DIDN'T LIKE THE FACTORY X-FULL THAT CAME WITH HIS. GOT A HS STRUT .565 SUPPERFULL AND HE DROPED IS 21LB TOM AT 37 YARDS. I WAS ABLE TO GET 44 YARDS OUT OF IT AT THE RANGE WITH THE SAME LOAD YOU WERE USEING.
Steamin
QUOTE(VERMONT BUCK @ May 1 2010, 10:32 AM) *

I BOUGHT THE SAME GUN FOR MY 9 YEAROLD THIS YEAR. ALDO DIDN'T LIKE THE FACTORY X-FULL THAT CAME WITH HIS. GOT A HS STRUT .565 SUPPERFULL AND HE DROPED IS 21LB TOM AT 37 YARDS. I WAS ABLE TO GET 44 YARDS OUT OF IT AT THE RANGE WITH THE SAME LOAD YOU WERE USEING.

I just ordered a Kicks Gobblin Thunder for my boys 20gauge bantam. Not impressed with the factory turkey choke, I'll post my results once the tube comes in.

Steamin
Steamin
QUOTE(Steamin @ May 6 2010, 05:15 PM) *

I just ordered a Kicks Gobblin Thunder for my boys 20gauge bantam. Not impressed with the factory turkey choke, I'll post my results once the tube comes in.

Steamin

Well guys I finally recieved the Kicks GT for the 20 ga. and I am not impressed to say the least, after trying every possible load I could get my hands on.

I ended up on staying with the factory choke shooting the Federal Premium with flight control, the pattern was better than I expected out of this gun.

Steamin
icdedturkes
QUOTE(Steamin @ Jun 8 2010, 04:44 PM) *

Well guys I finally recieved the Kicks GT for the 20 ga. and I am not impressed to say the least, after trying every possible load I could get my hands on.

I ended up on staying with the factory choke shooting the Federal Premium with flight control, the pattern was better than I expected out of this gun.

Steamin

Kicks is a lead only choke, you will never make a bonafide 40 yard turkey gun out of a 20 and lead.. I would highly recommend you purchase either the new hevi 7s or Fed HW 7s..

As for choke I would purchase a PG in 570 for the hevis and if you choose to take the Fed HW route I would opt for a non ported choke with a long parallel section in a 570-575 constriction.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.