HELP - SEARCH - MEMBERS - CALENDAR
Full Version: Best Cartridge For Elk.
Primos Cabin Chat > Primos® Cabin Chat > Elk Hunting
Rockymountainmusky
What all do you shoot your elk with when rifle hunting? I am at 7x57 160 gr. pretty good knock down power.
CAElkhunter
I shoot a Remington 300 Ultra mag with 180 grn Nosler partitions. It works well for me.
Elk hate it.

The best gun is the one you shoot straightest with the most accuracy. I have never
seen an Elk die from the caliber of the bullet, just shot placement.
Tecumseh
300 WSM with a 180gr accubond.
chris_carpenter
When I was in high school, my dad took me elk hunting with a 300 Weatherby that I got a great deal on. My dad told me it was too light and suggested that I by at least a 338. He uses a 338 Remington Ultra. This thing doesn't do anything but slam elk to the ground in their tracks. I used that Weatherby only once and sold it. I liked the gun but I have wised up in my old age (34 and counting now). I now use a 375 H&H. Yes it is a bit heavy for them but it does slam them to the ground in a quick manner. Unfortunately I have found that you need to use a full metal jacketed bullet or it cause too much damage. A good shot in the ribs with that round and it won't walk away.
dkhntrdstn
30-06 with 180 gr. got my first cow elk with this.
WyoWapati
Wow Chris. I have lived in the heart of Elk country for 31 years and taken over 20 bulls with a rifle and 8 with a bow. I have never heard anyone even hint at the fact that a .300 weatherby was too light for elk. I find that rather ridiculous to be honest. Any of the .300 calibres are more than adequate for any big game species that live in North America up to and including the large bears. While there are some cartridges that are marginal at best for Elk, I know of many people that have had great success on Elk with marginal calibres like the .270 and even the .243. Killing an Elk is primarily about shot placement and secondarily about terminal performance of a chosen bullet. Full Metal Jacket Bullets shot through any caliber on a big game animal is irresponsible at best. It is not a bullet that was designed for any kind of terminal performance and regardless of what you might believe, it is not dumping energy into the target when it zips right through. A hunter shooting a 30-06 with a controlled expansion and deep penetrating bullet such as the Barnes triple shock or MRX would be much better off and much more likely to create a quick, clean and humane kill than your .375 H&H with a full metal jacket bullet. Killing any big game animal is not about dropping an animal in its tracks although that is a bonus. An Elk struck in the vitals that runs 50 yards or 100 yards and tips over is just as dead as when they drop in their tracks. And more importantly, probably dead just as quickly as the animal that drops in his tracks. I have seen many an Elk that took a VERY large calibre through the lungs and heart area still run (dead on their feet). I have also seen Elk shot smack in the shoulder or in the neck with much smaller and sometimes marginal calibres that dropped like a sack of potatoes. Generally, when you dont break the shoulders or neck, they will run regardless of calibre chioce. Makes no difference. Dead is dead. Any animal shot cleanly throught the vitals is not going far. Not trying to blast you, just very much disagree with what you are saying.

My calibre of choice, when rifle hunting, is a .300 WSM with a 180 grain Barnes Triple Shock or my 7mm Rem Mag with 165 grain Nosler Partition.
My prefered method of killing elk is my Hoyt Viper Tech with 100 grain G5 Montec.
chris_carpenter
QUOTE(WyoWapati @ Nov 16 2007, 01:54 PM) *

Wow Chris. I have lived in the heart of Elk country for 31 years and taken over 20 bulls with a rifle and 8 with a bow. I have never heard anyone even hint at the fact that a .300 weatherby was too light for elk. I find that rather ridiculous to be honest. Any of the .300 calibres are more than adequate for any big game species that live in North America up to and including the large bears. While there are some cartridges that are marginal at best for Elk, I know of many people that have had great success on Elk with marginal calibres like the .270 and even the .243. Killing an Elk is primarily about shot placement and secondarily about terminal performance of a chosen bullet. Full Metal Jacket Bullets shot through any caliber on a big game animal is irresponsible at best. It is not a bullet that was designed for any kind of terminal performance and regardless of what you might believe, it is not dumping energy into the target when it zips right through. A hunter shooting a 30-06 with a controlled expansion and deep penetrating bullet such as the Barnes triple shock or MRX would be much better off and much more likely to create a quick, clean and humane kill than your .375 H&H with a full metal jacket bullet. Killing any big game animal is not about dropping an animal in its tracks although that is a bonus. An Elk struck in the vitals that runs 50 yards or 100 yards and tips over is just as dead as when they drop in their tracks. And more importantly, probably dead just as quickly as the animal that drops in his tracks. I have seen many an Elk that took a VERY large calibre through the lungs and heart area still run (dead on their feet). I have also seen Elk shot smack in the shoulder or in the neck with much smaller and sometimes marginal calibres that dropped like a sack of potatoes. Generally, when you dont break the shoulders or neck, they will run regardless of calibre chioce. Makes no difference. Dead is dead. Any animal shot cleanly throught the vitals is not going far. Not trying to blast you, just very much disagree with what you are saying.

My calibre of choice, when rifle hunting, is a .300 WSM with a 180 grain Barnes Triple Shock or my 7mm Rem Mag with 165 grain Nosler Partition.
My prefered method of killing elk is my Hoyt Viper Tech with 100 grain G5 Montec.

I wasn't totally unhappy with the 300 Weatherby but I wasn't totally pleased with it either. The recoil was a bit much for me at the time and I think that had more to do with me getting rid of it than anything else eventhough the elk did have a sever hit on the vitals and ran a lot farther than myself, my dad or his brother (my dad and uncle have hunted elk all their lives) would have imagined it would have considering the internal damage. I don't blame that on the cartridge as much as luck of the draw. I got an elk that was just really tough I guess.

My 375H&H is a bit heavy in my opinion for elk but I still use it. My biggest complaint on it is that if you use a bullet that expands quickly, you will do way to much damage to the meat. Yea, it'll drop quickly but you won't get the meat off of it that you want to. I have damaged a lot of good elk meat that I would rather have had by using the wrong round that's why I use a full metal jacket. The farthest that I have ever had an elk run after that kind of hit is about 20 feet. Can't complain with that at all.

Even though I know there are a lot of elk hunters that use the 270 and lighter and use them very successfully, in my opinion, they are too light. Yes, shot placement is everything but lets face it, perfect shot placement isn't always achieveable. Sometimes you just have to take the shot that you have and a lighter caliber may or may not ethically kill that animal. Thus, I choose to use a heavier caliber. Where my dad and I hunt just outside of Ouray, Colorado, the most common caliber we see in camp is a 338 Win. That's a great caliber. My dads 338 Rem Ultra is just WAY to much kick for my liking but it does a nice job as well. I have had very few perfect shots and my 375 still puts them down like lightening and I would not feel very good about taking shots on an elk with a lighter caliber like a 270 (again, I realize that there are those who do and do it successfully as well....I just wouldn't do it).
fishman
The cartrage that works best for elk.... is the one in my gun. hahaha provided that I dont fall face first into a hard snow bank, luckily I didnt see any elk and I got to see fi she is still sighted in on my way out in the moring.
elkslyr
QUOTE(fishman @ Nov 17 2007, 01:28 AM) *

The cartrage that works best for elk.... is the one in my gun. hahaha provided that I dont fall face first into a hard snow bank, luckily I didnt see any elk and I got to see fi she is still sighted in on my way out in the moring.

Love my 300wsm. My dad likes his 300 RUM and 7mm STW
bigfoot
i use 7mm mag with 154 spir works great for me my wife uses 257 roberts with 117 nos works for her biggrin.gif tongue.gif
jcELK
7mm REM MAG 160 grain nosler partition. P.S. That 375H&H is a little over kill.
Monarch8x8
QUOTE(jcELK @ Nov 21 2007, 12:14 PM) *

7mm REM MAG 160 grain nosler partition. P.S. That 375H&H is a little over kill.

I'm sure it's deadly on elk, hell they're deadly on cape buffalo and elephant! Not to mention problably near deadly on the hunter that has to pack that awful jeep axle in for a day in elk country.

When I was a rifle hunter, I shot alot of elk with the trusty and VERY lightweight Ruger Mark II Featherweight 30-06 with 180 gr nosler partitions. This did the trick everytime, never lost an elk, and weighs only 6.2 pounds. That's almost what my bow weighs!

Reguardless of what anyone thinks, anything will die when shot in the vitals with a bullet of any caliber. But these are the keys----
A small caliber round will work given that it carries enough down range energy and gets enough penetration. You also need a round that delivers all of the energy TO the animal, therefor a round that doesn't pass-through or break-up on impact.
So. Based on this, I think it's not necesarily the best caliber choice for elk that should be the concern, but the bullet selected to match the down range performance of the rifle of your choosing.
Huerfanoelkhntr
Haven't had a chance to use it on Elk yet as I connected with my muzzleloader this year but dropped a couple bucks and Antelope with it and it's specifically my elk rifle rig, 7mm Rem Mag shooting 175gr. Trophy Bonded Bear Claws. Maybe I'll get my chance next year if I pull that early season bull only tag. Otherwise it's the muzzleloader.

ZPAYNE
i ended up shooting my bull with 7mm mag with 154 interbond from hornady.it was not a complete pass through he kinda quartering toward me and trotting to the left when i shot had put the crosshairs on his shoulder but was moveing quicker then i had thought ended up taking out the liver and going into the gut bullet stopped inside the hide .but did its job i just didnt place it as well as i would like. i think any of the 30 cals from 06 to 300 rum.would be good also if i could pick a new rifle just for elk i think i would go with the 325 sm.just for the smaller rifle. have a friend that used it in africa .he killed all his animals except the cape buff with the 325 and most went down with in 20 yards .which anyone knows the animals in africa are really tough.the buff was shot with 375.that just my pick .thanks for letting me speak .wife wont listen any more?
nidahoarcher
I have seen many elk killed before I quit rifle hunting. Not one can I remember being more than 1 shot (unless the one in the head while laying on the ground counts). All killed w/ 270's. As for as the comment about taking the shot you have. I don't think so. Shot placement is every thing and if you don't have the preferred shot..you don't shoot!
ElkMan
.338 WM pushing a 225 grain Accubond reloaded by myself with 72.5 grains of Alliant RL-19 powder!!!
m gardner
I had a 338-06 A-Square that was the best compromise of power to recoil of any elk cartridge I've used. I'm older now and have settled for my 270 winchester because I can shoot it alot and remain deadly.
Mark
Elkmark
Before I started bow hunting I had killed elk with a .300 Savage, .348 Win, 7mm, and a .338 Win Mag. They all were very effective because of the shot placement. Now, will agree that the .348 and .338 Win Mag did the most damage, but I never lost an elk with any of the rifles I used. Put the bullet in the lungs or heart and you have meat on the table
Apache
I have an opinion on this matter ...

I haven't actually had the chance to use it on an elk yet but I vote for the 45-70 government. I'm pushing an Oregon Trail TruShot 430g FP GC bullet with 45gr Reloder 7 @ 1880fps, this round will put down any game animal in North America inside of 300 yards.
I'm sure it will take down an elk ... ohmy.gif
INKANE
125 grain fixed-blade Muzzy
bowhunter2812
when i hunt an elk with a rifle i have always used a 300 win mag with 190 grain bullet. it has good knock down power and that extra push for longer shot. when sighted in at 100 yds at 400 i hold high on the shoulder.
Mtnsilverwolf
.338 Win Mag with 225gr Accubond or 225gr Nosler Partition

Never had to trail one far!!

'Wolf
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.