HELP - SEARCH - MEMBERS - CALENDAR
Full Version: HOW MANY DEER ARE YOU ALLOWED TO KILL
Primos Cabin Chat > Primos® Cabin Chat > Whitetail Deer Hunting
etxblkbowhunter
I WAS WONDER HOW MANY DEER ARE YOU GUYS AND GALS ALLOWED TO KILL IN YOUR STATES? HERE IN TEXAS IN MY COUNTY WE ARE ALLOWED 2 DOES AND 2 BUCKS. I THINK THAT IS WRONG BECAUSE HERE ON MY PLACE THE RATIO OF BUCKS TO DOES ARE 4:6. DO YOU GUYS THINK WHERE YOU LIVE THAT THE LIMIT OF DEER YOU ARE ALLOWED SHOULD BE HIGHER OR LOWER?
Dutch
Here in Alabama we are allowed 2 deer per day with a bow and two per day with a gun during hunters choice season. That comes out to around 218 deer per year that can be taken with no tags required. However this may change this year, as they are talking about having a cap of 2 or 3 bucks a year. I doubt they will ever limit the number of doe kills allowed other than just limiting the length of hunters choice season.

Personally, I would like to see a total buck limit instead of point restrictions here in Alabama. I feel that point restrictions may discourage some hunters from taking does, for fear that the deer could possibly turn out to be a button head. However, the same situation could encourage hunters to only take full grown deer, so it could be a positive thing in some respects. We just need to thin the herd down drastically in some areas, as our buck to doe ratios are fifteen or twenty to one.
etxblkbowhunter
I WISH WE COULD KILL THAT MANY BUT WE CAN'T. THE DEER HERE IN EAST TEXAS ARE BAD. THERE ARE SO MANY DEER HERE AND THE PARKS AND WILDLIFE WILL NOT LET US KILL MORE THAN FOUR A YEAR AND THAT IS BOWSEASON TOO. IF YOU KILL FOUR DURING BOW SEASON THAT IS IT YOU CAN'T RIFLE HUNT BECAUSE YOUR SEASON IS UP. YJERE ARE MORE DEER KILLED BU CARS THAN HUNTERS AND I THINK THAT IS WRONG. WE HAVE DEER THAT ARE WALKING AND EATING IN THE SCHOOL YARD ON A MAJOR HIGHWAY AND IN FRON OF THE JAIL HOUSE AND EVERYTHING. SOME OF THE DEER NEED TO BE KILLED OUT BUT THEY WILL NOT LET US. THAT IS WHY THERE ARE SO MANY POCHERS HERE IN TEXAS. AND PLUS IN OUR COUNTY THERE IS ONLY THREE GAME WARDENS SO I KNOW THERE IS ALOT OF POCHEING GOING ON. IF THEY LET US KILL MORE DEER THEN IT WILL BE LESS POCHER HERE. WE DON'T HAVE A SIZE LIMIT ON OUR DEER. IF YOU KILL A BOTTONBUCK THEN THAT IS ONE OF YOUR BUCK TAGS GONE AND YOU CAN ONLY KILL ONE MORE BUCK. SO THAT IS WHY I LET ALL OF MY KIDS HUNT AND MY WIFE AND MY FRIENDS KIDS I TAKE WITH ME SO WE CAN HAVE MEAT IN OUR FREEZER PLUS I GIVE ALOT OF MEAT AWAY TO ELDER PEOPLE. BUT PLUS I LIKE TO SEE KIDS IN THE WOODS TO SO IT IS OK WITH ME.
username
Our biggest problem in TN is the mindset of hunters.

The majority of hunters here are stuck in a restoration mindset when in reality the deer herd is restored. People still think that killing does is a cardinal sin and in some cases even lobby for a reduction in an already extremely low doe harvest.

What they don't understand is that having a balanced harvest equates to a balanced sex ratio which equates a much healthier, lower density deer herd that isn't so close to over browsing the habitat.

I must admit though, the tide is slowly turning for the better as far as harvest ratio among male/female but like I said, our biggest problem by far is lack of education among hunters about the importance of biologically sound deer management.

There are some areas in TN that could handle an increase in population, especially east TN.
brad cooper
Here in colorado we can only take one deer. It does'nt matter if it is a muley or a whitetail. Most units are one or the other buck only or doe only. I only bowhunt so i get a chance for an either sex tag. We have been in that (retoration mode) also for along time. All deer tags are by draw only. You can buy multiple elk tags. bull only,cow only,either sex,private land only. but the deer population is strong once agian as far as numbers. The big thing now is the ratios are so out of wack it is getting ridiculous. In area49 it is a buck only area and has been for years. it is a good deer unit but it is very rare to see a good soilid buck come from this place. every body shoots the first buck that walks in because if they dont they dont have the options to take a doe foe the freezer. (GOOD ELK MANAGEMENT IN COLORADO)(POOR DEER MANAGEMENT).
IdahoBowHunter
Here in Idaho we can only take one deer per year...there is a few management hunts that you can apply for that will allow you to take a extra deer per year as well but those are only in specific areas. I believe that residents can buy as many nonresident tags they want (@ $235.00 ea.) if you want to get more than one deer.
etxblkbowhunter
IS THERE ALOT OF DEER IN IDAHO? WHY ONLY ONE DEER A YEAR? DOES IT HAVE TO BE A BUCK OR EITHER?
IdahoBowHunter
There is alot of deer here in Idaho, but nothing like the numbers of the southern states. I am not sure that the deer population could handle more than 1 deer per hunter to keep the deer population heathy. They also have to watch of for a harsh winter which could really destroy the deer population so I would rather have a few more deer to be safe. We can harvest in most area either sex deer. In addition to Whitetails we have Mule Deer, Elk, Moose, Pronghorns, Bighorn Sheep, Moutain Goats, Black Bears, and lots of Turkeys so there is plenty of hunting oportunities beyond just deer.
Anonymous
Here is louisiana we can take 6 deer.The state is going to pass a new law this year(HOPEFULLY)that allows you to take 2 bucks and 4 does.Right now we can shoot any 6 deer we want to.
Anonymous
1 buck 2 does......
Eddie
Here in PA were only allowed 1 buck per season, bow season or rifle season. My county has to be 3 points on one side. Other counties are 4 on each side. You have to get a doe permit for a doe. If there are any left over permits your allowed to file for a extra one (wich it never happens in my county). Basically only 2 per person if you get the doe permit.
wmramse
Here in Arkansas, we are only allowed to kill 2 bucks with either archery or gun, and a doe with archery. We're allowed to take a doe with a gun, but only if you applied for the extra doe tag in June...too bad the reg book wasn't published until AUGUST! This upset a lot of hunters last season, because very few of them knew about the tag until it was too late. I think the AG&FC was just trying to help even the herd a bit, but it was kind of a sneaky way to do it.

On the other hand, several leases I know of that manage their own herds were allowed numerous extra doe tags without extra cost. One of the guys I work with killed his 2 bucks and several does on his lease.
BucknDoe
Eddie that is how NY used to be up until I think 2 years ago. It was 1 buck for the season regardless of weapon used and one deer by permit only (lottery based system). I hated it because you could potentially be done for the year on opening day. This past season, I took 3 does ( one on a land owners mgmt permit) and a buck (rifle). Was allowed another muzzle/archery buck but he never presented himself
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.