HELP - SEARCH - MEMBERS - CALENDAR
Full Version: Nitro Ammo Company
Primos Cabin Chat > Primos® Cabin Chat > Turkey Hunting
Pages: 1, 2
lars5736
I have been shooting Nitro Ammo 3.5" 4x5x7 hevi shot for two years and this stuff is amazing, any one else out there using it?
nyturkeyduster
I've shot regular Hevi-Shot for going on four years now and had great results. I've heard nothing but great things about the nitro shells.
stoutk
for the price they should be amazing...they should clean your gun too for that matter after you shoot em blink.gif
Gobble_adict
I want to shoot them. Where can you buy them?

Rex
drum817
I can't afford to shoot em' mellow.gif blink.gif
mgdsu
There awesome!!! The best shells out there. biggrin.gif
lars5736
QUOTE(Gobble_adict @ Feb 7 2007, 09:51 PM) *

Rex

http://www.nitrocompany.com/
thats the web site you can order from there, I live about 15 miles from them so I just go pick them up. you can look arround an the web site and find the recomended shells and choke for your gun (go with the hevi shot). They are a little high but are awsome I shoot a mossberg 835 a primos jelly head and the nitro 4x5x7 hevi shot, at 40yds I put 309 hits in a 10" circle. And don't worry about the 7's they are about the samr weight as a lead 6 and penetrate twice as good. Oh yea there phone# 1-417-746-4600 give them a call.
fullfan
I jumped on the Nitro train about 2 years ago. I know the shells and the Rhino chokes
cost a bunch of $$$.
But If I would have started with the nitro, I would not have had to buy the other 9 choke tubes and every shell made.

I remember seeing the ad that Nitro Ray had 12 years ago. He was a no-name who hand loaded shells in New York. I wish I would have jumped on the train then.

I can get 300+ hits from my X-2 at 43yds in a 10" circle. Now that is a great pattern.
Hardcore
I got two birds with one shot at 49yds with my superX2. I had an Undertaker turkey choke and used winchester supreme 3.5 4's. I was hunting in knee high alphalpha and found the second one laying along side of the first. I had 2 tags. The 4's penetrated the grass and still killed the bird in it's tracks. That is impressive. cool.gif
HardwoodsgreenHD
Yep! They ROCK! biggrin.gif
huntingaddiction1
QUOTE(Hardcore @ Feb 7 2007, 08:07 PM) *

I got two birds with one shot at 49yds with my superX2. I had an Undertaker turkey choke and used winchester supreme 3.5 4's. I was hunting in knee high alphalpha and found the second one laying along side of the first. I had 2 tags. The 4's penetrated the grass and still killed the bird in it's tracks. That is impressive. cool.gif

And I bet those Supremes were less than $15-20! You guys are crazy for buying a box of shells for more than 50 bucks, but if i was rich i'd do it.
fullfan
Well I just checked and Fed Hevyweights and Winchester Ex range are both knocking on the $50.00 door
skipp
ive been using them for ten years, if you have a 20 gauge it will step you up to 12 gauge performance. i shoot a 10 gauge, the firepower is stupifying. 3 ounce hevi shot loads... more emphasis on clean kills than long shots is what i preach. wink.gif
SMOKEPOLE
I HARVESTED TWO BIRDS LAST YEAR WITH MY SBE2-RHINO CHOKE & NITRO 4-5-7.ONE AT 57 YDS. & ONE AT 35 YDS. THE BEST COMBO FOR MR. LONG BEARD
drum817
QUOTE(huntingaddiction1 @ Feb 8 2007, 01:47 PM) *

And I bet those Supremes were less than $15-20! You guys are crazy for buying a box of shells for more than 50 bucks, but if i was rich i'd do it.

I buy Supremes for 8.99 a box (10) at wally-world biggrin.gif then I take the other 50 dollars and buy a couple new turkey calls biggrin.gif ......I totally agree $50.00 plus for 10 shells is insane unsure.gif blink.gif unsure.gif blink.gif .....but....to each his on.
shelt
I shoot reminton Hevi Shot #5's and ya the coast is going up but I only shoot about three to four shells a year . then I use them on geese.
skipp
QUOTE(SMOKEPOLE @ Feb 8 2007, 12:57 PM) *

I HARVESTED TWO BIRDS LAST YEAR WITH MY SBE2-RHINO CHOKE & NITRO 4-5-7.ONE AT 57 YDS. & ONE AT 35 YDS. THE BEST COMBO FOR MR. LONG BEARD

did they go down solid, or lots of flapping?
huntingaddiction1
QUOTE(fullfan @ Feb 8 2007, 07:14 AM) *

Well I just checked and Fed Hevyweights and Winchester Ex range are both knocking on the $50.00 door

He said supremes, not Extended Range. biggrin.gif
Mr. Longbeard
95% of those hits you are getting are with #7 pellets. So I'm not Impressed...

I wonder how many people shoot turkeys out at 50 yards with those shells and the turkey fly off and die ohmy.gif
muddyboots
QUOTE(Mr. Longbeard @ Feb 9 2007, 08:19 AM) *

I wonder how many people shoot turkeys out at 50 yards with those shells and the turkey fly off and die ohmy.gif

None. They don't quiver.
HardwoodsgreenHD
QUOTE(Mr. Longbeard @ Feb 9 2007, 08:19 AM) *

Remember that those #7 pellets are all hevishot and will carry as much kenetic energy as a #5 or 6 lead pellet due to it's higher weight. Then factor in the higher number of pellets hitting the target as well as the #4 and #5 pellets also hitting the target which are also hevishot. I would never advocate shooting past 40 yards, but I doubt may birds would "fly off and die" if hit with the nitros at 60 yards, much less 50 yards unless someone made a bad shot. That is actually why I sometimes shoot nitros, espeacially when hunting fields incase I miss judge distance, I will have a margin of error with the nitros.
Gremlin
QUOTE(fullfan @ Feb 7 2007, 03:35 PM) *

I remember seeing the ad that Nitro Ray had 12 years ago. He was a no-name who hand loaded shells in New York. I wish I would have jumped on the train then.

fullfan, I remember that too. Don't remember the add, but remember getting shells from Ray about 15 years ago in a ziplock bag. I think they were $12.00 for 10 of them. Probably still the best #5 copper-plated lead shells on the market today. To this day, I have never killed a turkey with anything other than a Nitro shell. Patterned plenty, but the nitro's always have came out on top.

Those were the days, people shot what they wanted to and didn't get on the internet and cut other folks down because they thought someone payed too much for a shell. It's my money and I'll spend it how I chose, but thanks to everyone who doesn't shoot Nitro's for their concern about my finances.

HardwoodsgreenHD
QUOTE(Gremlin @ Feb 9 2007, 11:29 AM) *

fullfan, I remember that too. Don't remember the add, but remember getting shells from Ray about 15 years ago in a ziplock bag. I think they were $12.00 for 10 of them. Probably still the best #5 copper-plated lead shells on the market today. To this day, I have never killed a turkey with anything other than a Nitro shell. Patterned plenty, but the nitro's always have came out on top.

Those were the days, people shot what they wanted to and didn't get on the internet and cut other folks down because they thought someone payed too much for a shell. It's my money and I'll spend it how I chose, but thanks to everyone who doesn't shoot Nitro's for their concern about my finances.

Gremlin, Funny thing about some people being so uptight about the cost of nitros, is that in respective terms, it's still by far the cheapest part of the hunt. If I hunt a couple of states, kill 6 birds, thats a grand total of $36.00 for the whole year. I'll pay that for the performance of the nitros, it's actually an investment considering the amount I have in my turkey guns, truck, camo, leased property, licence, fuel, food, camping gear, time off work, custom turkey calls, vest, decoys. This all equals thousands of dollars! So $36.00 to $42.00 for the price of nitros is small. But for the cost of the enjoyment of the hunt....PRICELESS!!!! LOL!
mgdsu
I agree with both of yall. If people dont like how much they cost then dont buy them. I love them and i going to keep shooting them. Alot of people will say that you dont need to shoot far if you can call turkeys. Well they aperntly have not hunted field turkeys because they are the hardest birds to get within range because they can see whats calling and wait on those turkeys to come to them. And in a field 50 to 60 yards is easy missed judged for a 30 to 40 yard shot.
fullfan
I am with all 3 of you guys. I take my turkey hunting very serious.And what I spend my $$ is up to me.
Gun $1000.00
Choke $ 90.00
Calls $100.00's
Shells- $5.00 each You Bet.........

I have killed my fair share of turkeys, I have been doing this since 1976. And in that Time the number of hunters has gone 10 fold. I have also seen the birds become more wary in time. I love to hunt the late season( when everyone is hunted out) and most of the time the birds will not commit to the call. So when they stop and strutt at 40yds. I know my gun and shells will do the job.
huntingaddiction1
Ya'll boys just might have me sold on them Nitro's. biggrin.gif
TnLungBuster
I'd be interested in shooting some but I don't see how they could do better than the Winchester Extendeds wink.gif .
muddyboots
QUOTE(TnLungBuster @ Feb 10 2007, 12:17 PM) *

I'd be interested in shooting some but I don't see how they could do better than the Winchester Extendeds wink.gif .

i've shot them side by side and the difference is amazing.
TS
I been using them for 3 years now and they are the best shells out their hands down.

They hit with such force that others shooting copper plated shot only wish they got. All sheels will with proper shot placement drop a turkey in it's tracks.

I know when I place that Holo sight on it's head and squeeze the trigger I don't need to rush to him as he is dead laying their. No need to rush in after shooting a Nitro as he will not be flopping to much might have to pick up parts of his head for a picture though.

5 bucks a shell is not cheap but with a $1000.00 and another 400 hundred for choke tube and Holo Sight another 125+ more is cheap for a Box(25) of shells that will last me 5 plus years.

Thing is they are so good they make any gun and choke shoot better than the other companys shells make hands down
Randolph Cox
QUOTE(Gobble_adict @ Feb 7 2007, 12:21 PM) *

Rex

Wing supply has them,and they have the rhino choke.$100 for the choke,$60 per box for the 4x5x7's

http://www.wingsupply.com/shop/Scripts/pro...strSearch=rhino

Not my cup of tea,because they are mostly small shot.
Gremlin
Not trying to start a pissing match here, but I have a question.

So far I have heard "mostly small shot" and "95% are 7's". I started shooting Nitro's way back and have done my fair share of examining them over the years. Could any of you guys tell me what the break up is of 4, 5 and 7's? Just curious how many you counted of each.
Randolph Cox
Here's a pellet count for the 3" shells taken directly from Jesse's Outdoor hunting forum.

This was the Nitro load #H378, 3 inch, 1 7/8 oz., #4x5x7 HEVI-SHOT load with the same 2" extended Rhino choke with a .660 constriction. 40 yards. There are 261 pellets inside the smaller 10 inch circle and 149 pellets in the outer 30 inch circle. Nitro lists the average pellets in a 10 inch circle as 170 to 220.

Velocity was unknown as chrono stopped reading due to clouds moving in. Box has it rated at 1,200 F.P.S. This is the tightest pattern I've had to date out of all my turkey guns at 40 yards.

I counted 22 #4 pellets, 81 #5 pellets and 382 #7 pellets for a total of 495 pellets in the shell.

There you go 382 of the 495 pellets (77%) are #7's...No need to argue.

fullfan
I do all my patterning into 2"x6" green wood. I have taken the time to dig and pry the shot out. The Nitros hit the built up 2"X6" so hard that it fell over... And when I do dig the shot out, the smaller #7 's are just as deep as the others.

Take my word , the Nitros are not a joke.

I have seen alot come and go in the past 30 years. But the Nitros are something....
mgdsu
Well people can say what they want about nitros and all i know they kill turkeys and they have never done me wrong. wink.gif

Good luck to everyone this year
Randolph Cox
But will the 7's penetrate like a #4 lead at 50yds?60yds?65yds?NO!

Yes they do work,but all I'm saying is I know alot of guys who roll birds at 60yds,sometimes the birds get up and fly off.They don't understand b/c they are getting 75 hits at 60yds.Thing is hevi 7's lose alot of energy past 40yds.I can shoot birds just as far as 4x5x7 nitro shooters with 3 1/2" #4's that have 75% less hits.If you have the money go for it,but don't let small pellet hits decieve you.There are 553 pellets in a 1 7/8 oz load of 4x5x7's,and approximately 774 pellets in a 3 1/2" 2 5/8oz load of 4x5x7's.How do you fit that many pellets in a shell if they aren't tiny?

There are around 270 #4's in a 2oz 3 1/2" winchester high velocity shell.

There should be around 590 pellets in a 2 oz load of 4x5x7's.

320 more pellets..so of course there should be more hits.

ENERGY?Hevi shot delivers 26% more energy than a comparible size of lead.

How much energy is in a #4 lead at 40yds? 4.5ft lbs

How much energy is in a #6 lead at 40yds? 2.4ft lbs

How much energy is in a #7 hevi at 40yds? I don't know

I have been told it is nearly the same as a #6 lead...I searched for 2 hours and couldn't find it...apparantly they don't want us to know.However I found a ton of articles and they recommend 7 hevi for wood ducks,quail,and pheasants... blink.gif Hevi shot also recommends their #6 turkey shot for distances of 40yds for expert shooting.Well 7's are smaller than 6's so how far would you trust them?Here's a link to where you can dowload that info.You may have to copy then paste it.

www.hevishot.com/downloads/bird_poster.pdf

My point is not to let pellet count decieve you into thinking you can take a long shot.Pellet count does not make up for energy loss.....paper and neck bones/feathers are different things.
Laturkeyhtr
But If I would have started with the nitro, I would not have had to buy the other 9 choke tubes and every shell made.

That is also my reasoning. I love the way they shoot. I have not tried them out past 35 yds, but if for some reason in the heat of the moment, I mistake the distance, they will reach him no problem and he will be riding him in my pickup.

TS
QUOTE(Randolph Cox @ Feb 11 2007, 11:07 PM) *

But will the 7's penetrate like a #4 lead at 50yds?60yds?65yds?NO!

Well to answer that question you would be even lucky to get a decent pattern at 40 with lead 4's.

I would rather get over 200 any size pellets in a 10in circle @ 40 or 50 yds than only a dozen or so 4's

The ones that always have bad things or doubts are the ones that haven't spent the money to see for themselves.

The funny thing is if they did and paired it with a Rhino choke they would have to come on here and make a post that they have joined the train and we were right all along.

Simple fact is that they are the best shell made today bar none.

The reason that is because they are paired with the right choke and test after test are done for the different guns out on the market.

Rem and Win and Federal all make good shells but they have to make it where they shoot OK in most guns. Nitro makes their shells for a gun and chopke combo that out shoots all the rest.

Also the recommending of 40 yards for the 6 shot by hevi shot is about right with the shells made by Hevi shot or Rem or the others but the Nitros are a different breed all together they are not like shooting the normal turkey hevi shot you buy at the store that is the difference right their. You can't even compare anything they say bout the production stuff with Nitros as they are that much of a difference in the performance.

All any doubters have to do is come off a lil jack and get them and they will be on the train.
mgdsu
well said!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! biggrin.gif
SMOKEPOLE
WELL THIS DEBATE CAN GO ON & ON.LAST YEAR I HAD A LARGE NUMBER OF SHOT TWO INCHES DEEP IN BREAST MEAT AT 57 YDS.THE BIRD NEVER MOVED.YOU CAN GO TO THE PROM WITH A UGLY GIRL OR SPEND A MORE MONEY AND GO WITH THE HOME COMING QUEEN. I HOPE EVERYONE HAS A WONDERFUL SEASON. cool.gif
Tom Foolery
QUOTE(Randolph Cox @ Feb 11 2007, 11:07 PM) *
Hevi shot also recommends their #6 turkey shot for distances of 40yds for expert shooting.Well 7's are smaller than 6's so how far would you trust them?Here's a link to where you can dowload that info.You may have to copy then paste it.
www.hevishot.com/downloads/bird_poster.pdf

My point is not to let pellet count decieve you into thinking you can take a long shot.Pellet count does not make up for energy loss.....paper and neck bones/feathers are different things.

You have Nitro #7 Hevi leaving a 21" barrel @ 1200fps, you have Hevi-shot's stuff leaving a 30" barrel @ 1090fps, so from my 21" barrel it's going much slower than 1090, so I would say they only reccomend their stuff to 40yds. The Nitro stuff is in a class of it's own.

I have on gun that will not shoot a good pattern with anything at 40yds other than Rem #6 hevi that they don't make anymore, so I shoot Nitro from it and it's awesome.

A friend of mine shot a big gobbler 2 years ago at a laser ranged 47yds and it absolutley crushed that bird. Holes all THROUGH the head, and that was a load of those little 7's that won't kill that far...............
Randolph Cox
Well to each his own.That's why there are a ton of shells/chokes/and guns to pick from.

Just wanted to make my point that some things are not always as they look,and there are other options that do just as well as high dollar set ups.

If you pattern your gun,and have faith in it then go for it.You won't know what your gun is capable of doing "on game" until you pull the trigger.

Good luck to everyone,and I hope no one loses a bird. wink.gif
Catfishturkeyhunter
long as what Im using kills turkeys is all that matters to me.. I could care less what the other guy uses.. In fact I hope the other guy is using dove loads with a modified choke.. leaves more turkeys for me.. I got a cheap 870 express super mag with a cheap tru glo choke and shoot either winchester turkey supremes, or remington nitro shells.. I wont lie I have missed a couple birds but it wasnt because my gear or ammo.. It was because I was impatient and took a shot that shouldnt have been taken.. Im comfortable taking a shot at 40 steps and anything else closer is just gravy.. Its all personal prefrence really.. All I really care about is what works for me though...
WVohioFAN
I love nitros...heres why

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v603/homerjones/40-306.jpg
mamahunts2
I don't know if I like them yet or not. My hubby ordered me a box of the 4x5x7 hevi shot for a Valentines day gift. They haven't arrived yet. But I have a feeling I'll like them just fine. smile.gif
mamahunts2
QUOTE(WVohioFAN @ Feb 15 2007, 08:33 AM) *

Nice! That is exactly the gun/choke combo I have so if this is any indication of what I can expect with nitros, then yep..I'll be very happy with them.
Mr. Longbeard
QUOTE(WVohioFAN @ Feb 15 2007, 08:33 AM) *

Man whats a 20 yard pattern look like???
KYLimbHanger
QUOTE(Mr. Longbeard @ Feb 16 2007, 10:47 AM) *

Man whats a 20 yard pattern look like???

Love to see a 20 yard shot patttern.
lars5736
QUOTE(KYLimbHanger @ Feb 16 2007, 08:29 PM) *

Love to see a 20 yard shot patttern.

you pattern will be about the size of a baseball at 20yds, you have to be on your game at 20 cause it's easy to miss but you can't beat these shells at 40 +
huntingaddiction1
What I want to know is what nitros you buy? i've patterned 4, 5, and 6's of all different brands. obviously it's just not the size, but the brand and how the shell is made. Basically what my question is, if 5's pattern the best, should i buy 5's in Nitro's? somebody please help with this before i spend 50 bucks on a box of shells.

oh by the way, did anybody see the can that jimmy primos shot at 70 yds. on truth 17 with nitro 4 x 5 x 7's? that can was crushed and all the primos people shoot nitros. i tell you what they put a hurting on turkeys that they shoot! i'm convinced by what everybody says!
LittandJake
QUOTE(huntingaddiction1 @ Feb 17 2007, 03:25 AM) *

What I want to know is what nitros you buy? i've patterned 4, 5, and 6's of all different brands. obviously it's just not the size, but the brand and how the shell is made. Basically what my question is, if 5's pattern the best, should i buy 5's in Nitro's? somebody please help with this before i spend 50 bucks on a box of shells.

oh by the way, did anybody see the can that jimmy primos shot at 70 yds. on truth 17 with nitro 4 x 5 x 7's? that can was crushed and all the primos people shoot nitros. i tell you what they put a hurting on turkeys that they shoot! i'm convinced by what everybody says!

go to their websight. nitroammo.com they have a section that will match up your gun to the recommended shell.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.