HELP - SEARCH - MEMBERS - CALENDAR
Full Version: Pa Coyote Calling Advice
Primos Cabin Chat > Primos® Cabin Chat > Predator - Specialty
PA_Hunter
I am looking for suggestions on what type of call I should use to lure in coyotes in the next couple weeks (mid-Februay through early March). Should I use howls and/or distress? I am hunting in Bedford County, Pennsylvania (South Central Pa).

I have some Primos Randy Anderson calls and I also will be using an Ecaller. I will probably use the Ecaller due me hunting by myself and it allowing me to minimize my movement. I can edit my digital sounds for my Ecaller to be a single coyote howling or add in distress calls along with howls.

It is my understanding right now is the mating season, so I have heard single howls or coyote distress calls work best right now.

I have done minimal predator calling to date, with no success of the handful of times I was out in the field. My setup will be wooded settings, with limitied availability for open field setups.

Thanks in advance for your advice and input.

PA Hunter
Pennsylvania
Bush Dog
Howling works good sometimes for me, but it seams only for large agressive males. I have actually watched coyotes coming in from a very long distance and when I howled they would stop and act like they didn't want to come any closer. The rabbit distress would change their minds, so I quit howling. I believe that you are limiting yourself to territorial males when you howl.
There is a howl that I've heard called the Lonesome Howl, Which is a long howl, sometimes with a short bark before it.
I think the best is an agressive howl and barking, then a moment of silence. then kick in with the distress and don't over do the distress. Play on with the yotes curiosity just give him enough to keep his attention.
Now there are a lot of very good coyote hunters on here and you would be wise to listen to all of their advice and try them till you find your nitch. Most everyone does it different.

Enjoy the Hunt.
PA_Hunter
Bush Dog,

Thanks for the advice. Maybe I will stick with the pup in distress sound. Unfortunately, I do not get the opportunity to get out that often, so I have to make it count when I do. It looks like I will not be able to get out until late next week.

I rarely have the opportunity to see a predator coming in from a long ways away. Typically any predator would be on top of me before I could get a chance to see it.

All that I am hoping for is a little snow, that way I can see them coming.

Thanks again,
estrndoghntr
[quote name='Bush Dog' date='Feb 5 2007, 10:38 PM' post='293665']

I'm also a Pa hunter mifflin county. In the last three weeks my hunting partner and I have called in three with no luck on closing the deal. 2 out of those 3 where called with a single interagation howl with coyote rresponding with in minutes. the other one came to distess calls. those 2 came in together probably a pair . We have been doing all of our calling at night. try not to howl to much most coyotes by now are paired up and do not respond all the time. these 2 dogs must have been close and just wanted to see what was up. stick with the distress calls right now hit the howler on in spring and summer when there prtecting dens of pups. iteragation, and challenge howls are the perferd calls then .

hope this helps we need to thin these things out!!!
PA_Hunter
estrndoghntr,

Thanks for your input, I have never attempted to call during dark conditions. All of my calling has been first light or just before darkness. Guess I should give night calling a try. Maybe my dad can hold the spotlight for me.

Guess I will try and stick with the distress call. smile.gif

The best PA Coyote is a dead one! biggrin.gif
estrndoghntr
[q

If your going at night don't use to big of light. try a lense with color red or green work. I made my green one out of an old plastic picture frame used a green fat tip sharpey. the trick is to put the sharpey on in small circles than buff it off lightlt and quickly to desired darkness. its not real easy but you can do it . use a paper towel.

PA_Hunter
estrndoghntr,

I bought a lense pack with both a red and yellow lense for my spotlight at Bass Pro. I will have to tape it to my spotlight. I have a 1 million candle power spotlight with built in battery that runs for around 45 mins and a 400,000 candle power which I will have to hook up to a battery. I will probably use the 400,000 power light unless I have to walk a long distance.

It is my understanding from talking with other that I should keep the spotlight on at all times during my setup. Is there a best time to call during dark hours or are all time during dark conditions equally good? Here again, I have no experience with calling in dark conditions.

PA Hunter
estrndoghntr
[quote name='PA_Hunter' date='Feb 7 2007, 06:17 PM' post='294174']
estrndoghntr,

we usually don't start till about 10 o'clock with the hours of 2 a.m and daylight being the best.
nydoghunter26
QUOTE(PA_Hunter @ Feb 6 2007, 08:33 AM) *

I am looking for suggestions on what type of call I should use to lure in coyotes in the next couple weeks (mid-Februay through early March). Should I use howls and/or distress? I am hunting in Bedford County, Pennsylvania (South Central Pa).

I have some Primos Randy Anderson calls and I also will be using an Ecaller. I will probably use the Ecaller due me hunting by myself and it allowing me to minimize my movement. I can edit my digital sounds for my Ecaller to be a single coyote howling or add in distress calls along with howls.

It is my understanding right now is the mating season, so I have heard single howls or coyote distress calls work best right now.

I have done minimal predator calling to date, with no success of the handful of times I was out in the field. My setup will be wooded settings, with limitied availability for open field setups.

Thanks in advance for your advice and input.

PA Hunter
Pennsylvania

nydoghunter26
nydoghunter26,
I hunt in south eastern ny and with little sucess I have been able to get them to answer but only twice have they actually come in and get a shot off. My cousin and I go out at night and thats is the only time we have been successful I almost think that the dog's have been called with electronic's and just recently we have gotten the "PRIMOS lil' dog and the PRIMOS hot dog" since we have gotten them the dog's have been alot more responsive and we have called dog's in on every set. Thank's to the new forms of calling we each have had successful hunt's and are now getting our friend's interrested and ready to go hunting and yet they have nothing but respect for the way we call them in with the same calls that Randy Anderson is using, But we are nothing like what he can do so with a little pratice I hope to be able to master the calls and maybe even go out west were the dogs are more in abundance.thank's to all the informational video's that Randy is putting out we're learning. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.