HELP - SEARCH - MEMBERS - CALENDAR
Full Version: "Glunking"- What does this represent?
Primos Cabin Chat > Primos® Cabin Chat > Elk Hunting
Oregon Archer
ive watched so many videos depicting bulls making this sound. ive seen them do this when they are fired up mainly. so my question is is what does this particular vocalization represent?
Elknut1
Glunking is a dominance thing generally heard from the herd bull. Rare would be the occassion to hear this, if ever, without the presence of cows. Glunking is normally done when the herd bull is being harrassed by sattlites who are relentlessly trying for his cows, if a sattelite feels confident in overtaking the herd bull he too could glunk trying to attract the cows thus challenging the herd bulls dominancy. The herd bull at this time would usually come over to take a look at the challenger and try run him off. All this takes place in very close quarters, throw in a distress cow sound and you'll most likely have that herd bull come in on the run.

This is not the only time glunking would be heard, but the most common. Yes it could also be heard as cows are in or close to estrus, this is when the sattelites harrass a herd bull the most, therefore he glunks along with grunts and other threats to keep other bulls at bay. elknut1
Oregon Archer
thanks for the explanation Elknut biggrin.gif
Matt Brimmer
Excellent explanation Elknut1!!!!!!!!!!!
Elknut1
Slider

I'm not real sure what to make of your statement, but it requires a response. (no offense meant)
First of all, do you know why a bull glunks? Second of all, glunking is a close quarters sound they use, and yes it's a dominant call, not used for mere recreation or because they're bored. I'll agree bulls can and do make sounds at times in the form of squeals, growls, and whinnies for no apparent reason, but glunking doesn't fall into this catergory no more than a nervous grunt or huffing type grunts.
For you to say you've heard bulls glunk in the presence of a couple of spikes with no cows present is a first, also in order for you to hear glunking at this time, you would've had to be right on top of the situation, as this sound does not carry and cannot be heard a 100yds away clearly and is used sparingly.
Now you said no sattelites were within 2 miles away, maybe so maybe not, you don't mention cows.
Now I'm not trying to be nit picky, but this could be confusing to many bowhunters and needs to be addressed.

You say you've heard glunking many times, that it in it self makes me wonder if you're hearing glunking or some type of low grunt or chuckle instead. I don't know the particulars behind the event, so I'd only be guessing. In the last 13 yrs I've called in 100s of bulls to bowrange and have had many opportunities to be amongst herds of elk during the rut, and must say I've heard glunking 3 times in all this time. It's an unusal gluging type sound rarely used compared to other sounds. It's easy to confuse this sound with a huffing type grunt, which would make more sense in your situation. Let me give you an example of hunters confusing sounds or terminology they thought was something it wasn't. (again no offense)

I've talked and corresponded with many hunters telling me their stories how they were cow calling a bull in and he was bugling screams and grunting up a storm, some bulls came in most didn't. As I've mentioned in past posts, bulls do not grunt or challenge cows, which is what grunts are used for. Instead, bulls will bugle short screams and lower whiny chuckles. (non threatning) They do this trying to call in this cow, especially if he's got cows, he wants this cow to come to him so he doesn't have to leave his cows to hook her out. So it makes me wonder as to what you've really been hearing. I'm not questioning your abilities on elk vocalization, just trying to put the pieces together. elknut1
Slider
Elknut. I have always been within 40 Yards when I here glunking and I have always herd it with the herd Bull following a Hot Cow. I never said there were no cows in the area! And how do I know there were no Satelite Bulls for Two Miles? I watched the small herd walk the two Miles in open country to the small patch of timber that they went to bed down in and then we went in after them. A 6x5,2 Spikes and six cows.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.