HELP - SEARCH - MEMBERS - CALENDAR
Full Version: 2005 Alsheimer rut prediction
Primos Cabin Chat > Primos® Cabin Chat > Whitetail Deer Hunting
deerlover
I am sure not all of you get the Deer and Deer Hunting Magazine, so I thought I would share with you the Rut predictions based on the lunar phase that Charles A. sends out. This year works out great as the prediction falls around turkey day which means less used vacation days.

North Rutting Moon is November 16th
Seeking Phase November 12 - Nov 17th
Chasing Phase Nov 18 - 24
Breeding Nov 23 - 30

South Rutting Moon is December 15th
Seek Dec 11- 16
chase 17 - 23
breed 24 31

I followed this guide last year and he was on the money! I use these dates to determine when I will take my vacation. Feel free to use if you like and if not, good luck.

North zone looks to be everything north of this line (draw imaginary line across US east to West:
Top 1/2 of Tennessee, South Carolina, Arkansas, northern 1/3 of Oklahoma, tip of north Texas, top 1/5 of New Mexico
NY BUCK HUNTER
im in NY so i guess im one of those northern hunters.....ans i've got vacation from Nov. 5th thru Nov. 21........archery season will be open until nov. 18th and then shotgun opens the morning of nov. 19....he was right on last year....did he mention anything in the article...i posted the article before about his rut prediction....ill see if i can find it again....it would go good with these dates.........i work at the sheriff's dept...and we can always tell when the chasing phase of the rut gets going.....we get an increase in calls for deer car accidents.........
NY BUCK HUNTER
Serious deer hunters are always interested in whitetail prognostications upon the upcoming season's rut because it is the best time to hunt.

At no other time during hunting season do deer evidence more diurnal (daytime) movement as during the rut.

But the upcoming season is set up to make the 2005 archery season for whitetails the most frustrating and perplexing we will see or have seen in many years.

Bowhunters need to prepare for a classic trickle rut, with two minor peaks of greater rutting activity through October and November.

Hunters find it advantageous for their hunting success to time the rut, or peak breeding period of the whitetail, for a couple of other reasons: one, is that if a deer hunter takes vacation time to hunt, the hunter needs to choose the right week, and two, deer hunters who plan to hire a guide service or a guided hunt will probably find it less expensive because most guide services charge a higher fee for hunts during the traditional time of the rut. And those dates are averaged.

Why is the 2005 season going to be different than usual?

Why is the rut going to be spread out?

Most experienced bowhunters know that the first week of November is usually a great time to be in the woods. And they are right, partly. Any time is a great time to be in the woods bowhunting. But some are greater than others and it is nice to know when they are in advance.

Modern deer researchers have, in a manner of speaking, recently thrown light on the mysterious breeding time of the whitetail deer by scientifically studying the effect of moonlight and its relationship to the photoperiodic-driven behavior of whitetails.

I got a call a couple weeks ago from Charles Alsheimer of Avoca, (near Bath) New York, one of the most respected whitetail photographers and authors of deer hunting books in the country. He told me that he is revising his timing of the 2005 rut by a full month!

In his book, Hunting Whitetails by the Moon, he'd predicted the prime chase period of the rut to be October 18 to October 27, 2005. Now his revised timetable for the upcoming season is: November 16 to November 24, 2005, a full one month later.

In a nutshell, moon theory schools of thought as they relate to deer can be encapsulated into two types. They are the scientists, followers of scientific methodology, called Light Theorists and the other school: devotees of the gravity principal, Position Theorists.

The former school validates its position (no pun intended) by citing photoperiodic studies in all short day breeders like deer, sheep, etc. Their research shows that the pineal gland, the producer of melatonin (a hormone) is regulated by the amount of light striking it through the animal's eye. And of course, days get shorter in the fall, there is less light, hormone flow is altered, and deer behavior changes.

The other school of thought, Position guys have their theory based on the gravitational pull of the moon and its relation to gravity and phase. Popular Sol-lunar tables and charts have been used for decades to predict wildlife behavior. But the majority of science has not been able to validate how or what internal mechanism that moon-spawned gravity actually can pull upon to cause verifiable change within the whitetail's body. (The old Ghost in the Machine conundrum.)

We know that the Hunter's Moon, the moon following the Harvest Moon, defined as the closest Full Moon to the Autumnal Equinox, occurs October 17, 2005.

Recent whitetail research has shown that the Hunter's Moon in October, tunes or sets the stage for the timing of the rut. That big, bright orange orb we see sliding up in the east at dusk, as we leave our treestands, keeps the rest of the night bright for a week with a silvery light. And that amount of light effects the whitetail hormone production, causing the behavior changes.

The first week of November is usually the running time when bucks are beginning to chase does, and that's the behavioral precursor to the actual rut or breeding time.

And most bowhunters would rather be in the woods during the running time, as being out there during the actual rut.

We most often define the rut as the entire breeding time of the whitetail deer. But the rut is most often divided into three parts; a prelude, the actual breeding time or rut, and a post-rut phase.

Hunters usually find feast or famine to be the rule when whitetail bucks are hooked up with does because all but peripheral bucks, termed subdominant floaters are usually gathered into mobile, amorphous breeding groups as the rut peaks.

This year, the Harvest Moon is September 18, and with the Hunter's Moon, straining to set the hormonal tableau, the high point of melatonin production so relatively early, a spike in breeding activity will occur during the last few days of October.

But the intensity will taper off and wane after the first few days of November, precisely when whitetails in New York and Pennsylvania are usually going bonkers.

This unusual drop off in rutting activity should continue during the second full week of November too, as the whitetail breeding gun reloads.

But patient deer hunters should hear the telltale sounds of rutting bucks during Thanksgiving week, as the whitetail rut hits its second and final, though abreviated peak of the unusual 2005 season.

And thankfully, deer hunters will not see as radical a trickle rut phenomenon again until 2013, when the Hunter's Moon occurs October 18.
NJDeerHunter
great post thank you very much! Lots of useful info there.
SHANE(WA)
Will never look into or read anything about hunting the moon, way too many other factors that will effect the rut from farm to farm or one woods to the next.That being unseasonably warm or really cold to lots of hunting pressure to no hunting pressure to low buck to doe ratio or high buck to doe ratio.The rut peaks here every year around Nov.10 to Nov 20.
deerlover
I would disagree shane. There is over 20 years of experience and documentations on how the moon affects animals and fish. Of course the weather and other factors contribute, but it is definitely started by the 2nd full moon from the fall equinox (12 hours daylight 12 hours darkness). That fall equinox is Sept 22nd this year. 2nd full moon past that is Nov 16th.
SHANE(WA)
It doesnt matter what the moon is doing, I have hunted one place and noticed almost nothing moving and went down the road about 3 miles to my other spot and bucks are chasing everywhere, I have done this on several occasions.I think the best factor is a high buck to doe ratio if there is lots of bucks competing for does there will be lots of chasing and movement,on the otherhand if it is low, bucks dont have to do much in the search for does little to compete with. just my 2 cents
deerlover
Correct, the 2nd moon triggers the does heat cycles. Back that up two weeks and there is your seeking and chasing phase.

GOBUCKS, I agree with you. I love the chase and seek phase. Calls work the best and you can see bucks from all over as they are getting really frustrated with does that keep turning them down.

During the breeding phase, the bucks will be locked down with the does. Not moving as much as when they are trying to find one.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.