Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Illusive Tom
Jace.Steward
post Apr 13 2012, 05:44 PM
Post #1

Outdoorsman

Group: Members
Member No.: 77,896

Almost every day this week I've seen this big tom strutting on my property. Yesterday I was set up right on the edge of a big woods where turkeys are known to roost and at 7:45 I stand up to stretch, only to see the same tom in my neighbors corn field. He didn't see my because he was too occupied with the two hens that were with him, I tried to call him in for a while but eventually he just walked down the fence line into my corn field and walked right out. I figured I would set up about 30 yards from where he crossed into my property this morning, but I didn't even see or hear a turkey. I've seen him at all times of the day, but never the same place twice. Any suggestions?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Gobble_adict
post Apr 13 2012, 06:14 PM
Post #2

Turkey Hunting PhD

Member No.: 7,982

Find where he's roosted. Go out tonight and watch him fly up. That should give you a good starting point. In the morning, put out a jake and a hen decoy if you have them and try to pick a fight with the boss hen. Tough to help ya out without having interacted with the bird.

Best place to start is watching him fly up.

Rex

--------------------
"Shoot em' in the face."
Joe Judd

"The saddest thing in life is wasted talent."
Chazz Palminteri

http://mountainhollowgamecalls.com/pro-staff/rex-reynolds/
http://mountainhollowgamecalls.com/
https://www.facebook.com/mountainhollow
Create your own banner at mybannermaker.com!

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App
+Quote Post
nyturkeyduster
post Apr 13 2012, 07:08 PM
Post #3

Eat More Meat

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 2,743

I agree with Rex, find out where he is sleeping and set up preferably where he can see your jake decoy from his roost tree. My guess is he'll fly down and march right to you very angry if he doesn't in fact land already in shooting range. Best of luck!

--------------------
Brenner
"Bustin' heads since 2002!"
+Quote Post
Jace.Steward
post Apr 13 2012, 10:55 PM
Post #4

Outdoorsman

QUOTE(Gobble_adict @ Apr 13 2012, 01:14 PM) *

Find where he's roosted. Go out tonight and watch him fly up. That should give you a good starting point. In the morning, put out a jake and a hen decoy if you have them and try to pick a fight with the boss hen. Tough to help ya out without having interacted with the bird.

Best place to start is watching him fly up.

Rex

Thanks for the suggestions, I've thought about this but all of the turkeys roost in neighboring woods, which I've been denied permission to go on for some reason. Some days he shows up and some days he doesn't so I almost wonder if now it just comes down to luck.

+Quote Post
nyturkeyduster
post Apr 14 2012, 01:51 AM
Post #5

Eat More Meat

Okay, so next time he is out in your field, circle around in front in the direction he is heading. See if you can get away with crawling out a few yards and putting out a jake decoy. Use the lay of the land to cover your movements, call softly and play the waiting game. If he is already coming in your direction, there is no need to call.

--------------------
Brenner
+Quote Post
Jace.Steward
post Apr 14 2012, 04:37 AM
Post #6

Outdoorsman

QUOTE(nyturkeyduster @ Apr 13 2012, 08:51 PM) *

Okay, so next time he is out in your field, circle around in front in the direction he is heading. See if you can get away with crawling out a few yards and putting out a jake decoy. Use the lay of the land to cover your movements, call softly and play the waiting game. If he is already coming in your direction, there is no need to call.

Thanks I'll give it a try!
+Quote Post
arkybohunter
post Apr 14 2012, 05:56 AM
Post #7

Hunter

Member No.: 20,431

stay after him those are the fun ones where it gets personal. wink.gif
+Quote Post
nyturkeyduster
post Apr 14 2012, 06:01 AM
Post #8

Eat More Meat

Also, try not to force the issue with a henned up gobbler unless of course you've exhausted all options and its the last day of the season. Over the years I've learned its best to let a henned up gobbler do his thing until the hens leave him to nest. When you call to a henned up goobler, what happens a lot of the time is that the hens will lead the gobbler away from your calls and the bird will continue to gobble back at you as if to say "Hey! Come join the party!"

If you can keep tabs on his position while trying to move on him, it can really help. Think about known strutting and feeding areas and try to cut him off or ambush him as his hens feed along and he follows close behind. I killed a stubborn bird a lot like the one you're dealing with back in 2008 without even making a call. He was hanging out in about a 40 acre kidney shaped hay field, I noticed he wasn't moving much just strutting back and fourth. I pulled out a jake decoy and walked along the field edge until he was in plain sight, I immediately drove the decoy into the ground and sprinted back to my gun, I knew if he inched any further to his left; he would see the decoy. He did, and charged my decoy almost instantly. I shot him at 12 steps, the hunt lasted about 10 minutes after I stepped out of my Jeep.

--------------------
Brenner
+Quote Post
Randolph Cox
post Apr 16 2012, 04:28 AM
Post #9

Supreme Hunter

Member No.: 3,187

may have to pull out a full strut decoy,hunt him in the evenings,or just wait until the hens leave him..just keep at it!

--------------------
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
+Quote Post
Bowhunter81
post Apr 18 2012, 10:24 PM
Post #10

Trophy Hunter

Member No.: 69,187

Any luck on the bird that is giving you fits?

--------------------

Hardwoods Heart Stoppers Deer Contest Champs 2012-2013

Give a man a deer, he’ll eat for a day. Teach him to be a bowhunter, will feed his family for ever!!!!

I spent most of my life hunting, the rest I have wasted.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version       Primos Inc. © 2010 Time is now: 21st December 2014 - 06:39 PM