Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Bow Rest Question, What do you use and why for elk hunting
psp8ball
post Apr 12 2012, 09:50 PM
Post #1

Tracker

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,023

Hey gang. I'm getting a new rig for bowhunting and am looking for some advice regarding the rest. I have been using a whisker biscuit for years. I've never even considered using another rest because my arrow is always where it is supposed to be. I have been very happy with them. That's not to say however, that new innovations haven't come along and there is a better mouse trap. I have looked into some whisker biscuit style rests which have 3 areas that contact the arrow instead of all the way around. This is appealing because I can release an arrow withouth the fletching having to slide through whiskers. Unfortunately I have read nothing but poor reviews on that type on rest. (cabelas etc.)

So I ask you, my fellow elk hunters. What kind of rest do you use for elk hunting and why? Give specifics about what you like and don't like please.

Thanks for the input.

--------------------
It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard...is what makes it great.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
exhughes2
post Apr 12 2012, 10:57 PM
Post #2

Hunter

Member No.: 10,632

At the time I bought my bow I paid extra to get the fastest model. Meaning I paid 600 bucks for the bow that was 30 fps faster than the 500 dollar bow. Since I bought the $600 one the last thing I wanted to do was put a rest on that would take away from my fps even if itís only 3 fps slower. IMO when you buy a bow you are paying for the fps. That being said I went with a rip cord, a little while later they came out with the rip cord pro which is what I will go to next I think, the pro will lock up in the upright position and not drop on a slow let down. The QAD ultra rest is also a lock up on slow let down rest, I told my buddy to go with that one and he hasnít had any problems with it. I recommend a fall away rest that locks up in the upright position and wonít fall on a slow let down.

--------------------
2011 Turkey Contest Champs - Team Dirt Nap
2010 Turkey Contest Champs - Team Dirt Nap
2010 Elk Contest Champs - Team Elknutz
+Quote Post
Sp3Ak-Th3-LaNgUaG3
post Apr 13 2012, 04:03 AM
Post #3

Spike Killer!

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 6,346

I use a trophy taker and haven't had any problems with the rest. Am either going to go with a ripcord or the trophy taker with the full contain next....but honestly i don't need to just yet. My rest is holding up nicely.

--------------------
Trent Williams
WYO!!!
2009 ELK CONTEST CHAMPIONS!
2011-2012 DEER CONTEST CHAMPIONS!

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
+Quote Post
Todd Imiola
post Apr 13 2012, 12:46 PM
Post #4

Supreme Hunter

Group: Primos Prostaff
Member No.: 9

I'm using a G5 Expert II. Love the rest and does what I want. It's a great drop-away rest and I have had no problems with it at all. I prefer a drop-away rest. The Rip Cord and Qad are also good rest that drop away in my opinion.

--------------------
Todd Imiola Primos Prostaff (NY)
+Quote Post
nyturkeyduster
post Apr 14 2012, 06:37 AM
Post #5

Eat More Meat

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 2,743

I'm not an elk hunter, but I always say keep it simple. I like knowing that nothing can go wrong with my Whisker Biscuit. It brings me peace of mind and I'm sure that comes in really handy when chasing bulls in the back country.

--------------------
Brenner
"Bustin' heads since 2002!"
+Quote Post
montanaelkslayer
post Apr 15 2012, 05:43 PM
Post #6

Elk Fanatic

Member No.: 3,891

I used a whisker biscuit for a few years but then switched to the Spot Hog Wammy rest. I was tired of the WB tearing up vanes and warping them. Also after shooting a ton the whiskers started clumping a bit. Been using the Spott Hog for three seasons now and love it just as much as the WB without any vane issues.

Bottom line both of these rest did what they should have and performed very well. The WB will hold your arrow in place if your upside down (why you would be is beyond me lol) and with that said the spott hog wont, but in any situation I have been in with it my arrow hasnt fallen off the rest before the shot.

I also get a touch better accracy with the Hog since nothing touches the arrow after life off. Both have great Pros and very little Cons...

--------------------
Good huntin

Aaron

2007 PSE X-Force, 71#, 27" draw, Black Gold 4 pin sight, Spot Hogg Whammy rest, TR ridge hunter quiver, Carbon Express Maxima Hunter 350's arrows, G5 Striker 100 grain broadhead, lots of sims limbsaver toys all over. Oh yeah I am bringin the heat now!
+Quote Post
187Elk
post Apr 17 2012, 04:30 AM
Post #7

Supreme Hunter

Member No.: 1,229

I have used Ripcord and Trophy Taker..shooting a Trophy Taker smack down now...easy to use and set up...very nice to shoot too.

--------------------
Photobucket

2008 team BABB Elk champions
2009 team Elknutz Elk Champions
2010...That is right Champions
2011...Yeah, again! Champions

Go Cats!!!!
->>>---------------->
Br@nden V

www.bethedecoy.com
www.realitybowhuntingtv.com
www.arrowslinger.com
camospace.com/brandenbowhunter
+Quote Post
Oregon Turkey Hunter
post Apr 17 2012, 10:11 PM
Post #8

Archery Nut

Member No.: 16,798

I too use a Trophy Taker and love it. I had a WB but with high profile vanes you get into clearance issues. My shooting with the TT has improved. Have used it for the last 3 years.

--------------------
Jared

-The hardest things in life come with the most rewards.

-Freedom isn't free.

www.bethedecoy.com
BeTheDecoy Prostaff
*** Hunting Prostaff
http://www.facebook.com/***-Hunting
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version       Primos Inc. © 2010 Time is now: 2nd October 2014 - 12:26 PM