Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Need Some Guidance, Disappointed 9 year old/Trip Planned
stoutk
post Apr 9 2012, 12:55 PM
Post #1

Supreme Hunter

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 1,883

Well, I made a deal with my 9 year old all year that if he had all A's and B's this year I'd take to him to my old stomping grounds in SC to chase turkeys for a few days. We deer hunted there this past year in October, and the turkeys were unbelievable. We saw 24 toms on day go by us in the tree stand! He got to meet up with all of my old buddies, and he fell in love with the place. We are two weeks out from leaving, and we had a phone call last night...

Early summer and birds already on the nest with no gobbling. Last year they killed 24 birds on this property, and this year they have killed two, and that was the opening day. Since then they have seen birds but none are responsive. There have been 4 guys hunting the place and all but one have packed it in.

My buddy that runs the show down there told me there season "was over before it started (April 1st). So....I need another option. I have April 25-29 booked off from work and him missing one day of school, but now I have no where to go. Right now I'm leaning towards MO because they have $5 out of state non res tags for kids.

I know guys don't like giving up good spots, but if you could lead me in a direction I will do the leg work. I want him to see birds. See birds strutting, gobbling, and carrying on. Any help appreciated.

--------------------
 photo primosG2s_zps0622d5f5.jpg

Create your own banner at mybannermaker.com!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Bring 'em In
post Apr 9 2012, 02:19 PM
Post #2

Thread JACKER

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,409

I think MO is a good choice because non res tags are so affordable. If you decide to I could point you at least in the right direction up this way (NW MO) and you could probably hit one of our spots too with your son.

--------------------
team8

Genesis 27:3-4
+Quote Post
ccoutdoorlife
post Apr 10 2012, 01:00 AM
Post #3

Chasin' turkeys

Member No.: 9,851

Sorry to hear that Kyle. Where are they at in SC? I hunt upstate SC and have had birds all over me. If SC is still an option, let me know and I can give you some areas to try. Its public land but I haven't seen another hunter yet. I've killed two so far and this morning I had three gobbling around me from three different directions. We may be a little behind the low country. Good luck to you and your son no matter what you decide.

This post has been edited by stoutk: Apr 10 2012, 03:35 AM

--------------------
New father on 1/17/14 @ 6:20AM

I'm a man,
but I can change,
if I have to,
I guess.
+Quote Post
stoutk
post Apr 10 2012, 03:38 AM
Post #4

Supreme Hunter

Andrews, SC is where they are. 2 hunted today. Saw 4 hens and 2 toms. Toms by themselves and not responding to calls at alls. According them birds were strutting in early February, and the hens on the nest now. Who knows... Almost have MO all lined up. At less than $10 and two tags for non resident youth...hard to go wrong!

--------------------

+Quote Post
ccoutdoorlife
post Apr 10 2012, 04:36 AM
Post #5

Chasin' turkeys

Good luck in Missouri! Maybe next year South Carolina will pay off.

--------------------

I'm a man,
but I can change,
if I have to,
I guess.
+Quote Post
Tommy -Deadeye- Barham
post Apr 10 2012, 02:21 PM
Post #6

Hunter

Member No.: 10

Good luck with your son. I don't have a place to tell you to hunt but I do have some advice.
One morning I took my son because it was sat and he could go. I hadn't heard a gobbler all week even my best friend at the time had called and said he wasn't going because we hadn't heard any birds. We drove to the starting spot to listen like always and what (a gobble)? My son ended
up killing his first bird and it had 1" 11/16" spurs,11 1/4" beard and weighed 21 3/4#. Actually
it was a gift from the LORD but I did drive the kid out there that day. Always treat each
morning as first day no matter what the turkeys have taught you ! That way you'll always
be ready because he might decide to run over you because he can and he is just a turkey !
in HIM,
Deadeye

--------------------
Tommy(Deadeye)Barham
+Quote Post
stoutk
post Apr 11 2012, 02:44 AM
Post #7

Supreme Hunter

Good point Tommy! I really got turned onto MO because of the $8.50 nonres youth tag valid for 2 birds!

--------------------

+Quote Post
stoutk
post Apr 11 2012, 11:49 AM
Post #8

Supreme Hunter

Ok. Plans all set. Heading to Pittsburg, KS area. Going to buy the non res MO youth license and hunt there in the AM or until 1 pm when MO law says quitting time. Then head over to KA and hunt till dark. I havea buddy with 100 acres near Galena and also may check out Spring River WMA and its 424 acres. With 4 mornings and 3 PM hunts I'm hoping we can connect on a few birds! I will keep everyone posted!

--------------------

+Quote Post
ccoutdoorlife
post Apr 12 2012, 12:38 AM
Post #9

Chasin' turkeys

Good luck.

--------------------

I'm a man,
but I can change,
if I have to,
I guess.
+Quote Post
stoutk
post Apr 12 2012, 03:17 AM
Post #10

Supreme Hunter

Can't wait...no work. Hunting four days with my boy and nothing else to do. Good times that go by so so fast. If you have young ones eat that time up.

--------------------

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version       Primos Inc. © 2010 Time is now: 23rd October 2014 - 07:10 PM