Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Just Cant Get Them, Coyote Hunting
gregory.jones16
post Apr 4 2012, 12:49 AM
Post #1

Outdoorsman

Group: Members
Member No.: 84,454

So there is a place not far from my house that I have been going to for about 5 months that I know has coyotes. I have been going up there at many different times of the day. Everything from 3 am to 11 pm and still just canít get them to come in.

This area is public land but most people stay at the bottom of the hill. I went last night and got the same thing I have before. So here is what I keep running into.

I got to my known coyote spot and parked about ľ mile from where I hunt. I hike in and set up my blind, keeping the wind in mind and not to be nosey. I will set up my mojo critter, then my turbo dog right next to it about 30-40 meters from me. I will sit and play a young coyote call (as they tend to call back to it). This pack of 4-5 coyotes calls back for about 5 minutes before I start with a distressed Jack or cotton tail. Thing is they never come in with any sound I play from that point. Maybe I just donít see them but find it unlikely as it is really open high plains desert. If I start calling with the young coyote call again, about 50% of the time they will start calling again. Only once have I got them to come within 400 meters but it was too dark for me to take a shoot.

Animals in the area:
Wild horses (a lot of them)
Deer (NOT many)
Jacks
Cotton Tails
Many different birds

Anyone have any good ideas to get them to come in or am I just jacking this all up?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
elkgrunt
post Apr 4 2012, 02:00 AM
Post #2

Tracker

Member No.: 7,612

Try a pup in distress call, without using the rabbit in distress. Sounds like they are call shy.Everyone else is probaly using rabbit in distress call.

--------------------
No arrows flying,nothing dying.MossBack Game Calls prostaff
+Quote Post
SWarner1028
post Apr 4 2012, 03:09 AM
Post #3

Mathews Solocam

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 7,863

Yeah a pup distress works around this time too and also I had them come in to howls.this time of year they can be territorial, trying to protect their land because they are getting ready to have their pups.

--------------------
-Scott

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Member of Team # 8: Rack Attackers-2008 Primos Whitetail Champions!
+Quote Post
buckykm1
post Apr 4 2012, 03:26 AM
Post #4

Supreme Hunter

Group: Banned
Member No.: 9,521

Welcome to the Cabin, good luck with your dilemma.

Kevin

--------------------
Never argue with a Idiot, They will bring you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

2010 Elknutz, Elk contest champions

Photobucket
+Quote Post
mejeremyb
post Apr 6 2012, 07:17 AM
Post #5

Tracker

Member No.: 6,676

Don't setup in the same spot every time you go there. Don't use any of the sounds you have already used there again. Throw all the other calls aside and try a woodpecker, prarie dog, ground hog, turkey distress, something they haven't heard from another hunter before. It doesn't have to be something you find around where you live even. I use a lot of off the wall sounds when callin call shy yotes. I have to if I wanna call em in. Coyotes don't care what they eat as long as they eat!!!!

--------------------

Jeremy Bailey
+Quote Post
elkgrunt
post Apr 6 2012, 01:07 PM
Post #6

Tracker

Member No.: 7,612

QUOTE(mejeremyb @ Apr 6 2012, 02:17 AM) *

Don't setup in the same spot every time you go there. Don't use any of the sounds you have already used there again. Throw all the other calls aside and try a woodpecker, prarie dog, ground hog, turkey distress, something they haven't heard from another hunter before. It doesn't have to be something you find around where you live even. I use a lot of off the wall sounds when callin call shy yotes. I have to if I wanna call em in. Coyotes don't care what they eat as long as they eat!!!!

Great advice.

--------------------
No arrows flying,nothing dying.MossBack Game Calls prostaff
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version       Primos Inc. © 2010 Time is now: 18th April 2014 - 03:22 AM