2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> No Winter In Ohio = Bad Turkey Season?
Eric Baker
post Mar 29 2012, 03:50 PM
Post #11

Hunter

Group: Primos Prostaff
Member No.: 4

LOL...yes Todd you are 1000% (I intended to include the extra zero) correct on that one. I already have my Thermacell out and ready to be included in my vest because I have a feeling it will be impossible to sit still without it.

On a related note; I spend a lot of time taking my elderly Mom turkey hunting each spring and all of our hunts when its her hunt occur in a Double Bull blind. I have noticed over the last few years that hunting from the blind negates the bug issue. I'm not saying that bugs never get in the blind, but on days when sitting next to a tree would be impossible due to the 3 trillion gnats in your eyes, ears, and face you won't experience hardly any from within the blind.

Kinda of an odd sales pitch for a Double Bull but I swear its 100% true. You made an excellent point about bugs so I thought this little tidbit was worth sharing.

-Eric

--------------------
I hope you hang one by the spur this spring!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
peter/pmr
post Apr 1 2012, 01:05 PM
Post #12

Trophy Hunter

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,851

Here is the one thing most of you are not talking about! Tom's want to breed hens,and if all the hens are breeding and sitting on nests until it is warm enough to get off the nest,tom's will be searching for willing hens! So it would be a plus to all of you if the hens were nested up,because now the tom's will be more actively searching hens,hence eager to come to a call! They may even travel farther to find a willing hen! You may even have more than one tom come running to the calling! I see it as a good thing!

Now if a hen has to get bred ever time she lays an egg,that would be a way to count how many days she has been actively breeding,correct?

Check out these photos taken opening day of the 2010 season! May 1 st,in Vermont!

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm257/p...nting/005-1.jpg

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm257/p...nting/006-1.jpg

That would put breeding back 12 days,into mid April in Vermont! Now it also put tom's on the run to respond to a hen call,and opening day we shot three toms in a 40 acre alfalfa field, just up the back from where this hen was nested! 30 minutes apart was the longest span of time between shots!

This post has been edited by peter/pmr: Apr 1 2012, 01:10 PM

--------------------
2013 Totals

Canada Geese 157
Mallards 54
Woodies 28
Teal 24
widgeon 9
Blacks 12
Goldeneyes 56
Buffleheads 31
Bluebills 5
snows 129
Bands 3

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.
+Quote Post
peter/pmr
post Apr 1 2012, 01:17 PM
Post #13

Trophy Hunter

Member No.: 16,851

QUOTE(BigAL64 @ Mar 26 2012, 10:57 PM) *

I was worried until i did some research. According to biologist turkey breeding is triggered by a thing called photopierdism. The hormones in the hen are triggered by the amount of light that enters the eye. just like deer. When spring is early some hens will breed early but the bulk of the breeding will occur at the same time every year. The only thing that will slow it is really cold weather then the hens will have to re nest. Also people that raise tame turkeys and what them to lay eggs all year keep them inside and give them a certain amount of light a day. Google it and check it out. Also the turkeys show up at the same time every year on my property to breed and nest.( around the last week of March) they just showed up this morning. Right on time!!

Just to clarify what photopierdism is;

Daylength, and thus knowledge of the season of the year, is vital to many animals. A number of biological and behavioural changes are dependent on this knowledge. Together with temperature changes, photoperiod provokes changes in the colour of fur and feathers, migration, entry into hibernation, sexual behaviour, and even the resizing of sexual organs.

Birds', such as the canary, singing frequency depends on the photoperiod. In the spring when the photoperiod increases (more daylight), the male canary's testes grow. As the testes grow, more androgens are secreted and song frequency increases. During autumn when the photoperiod decreases (less daylight), the male canary's testes regress and androgen levels dramatically drop resulting in decreased singing frequency. Not only is singing frequency dependent on the photoperiod but also song repertoire. The long photoperiod of spring results in a greater song repertoire. Autumn's shorter photoperiod results in a reduction in song repertoire. These behavioral photoperiod changes in male canaries are caused by changes in the song center of the brain. As the photoperiod increases so does the high vocal center (HVC) and the robust nucleus of the archistriatum (RA). When the photoperiod decreases these areas of the brain regress.[5]

In mammals daylength is registered in the suprachiasmatic nucleus (SCN), which is informed by retinal light-sensitive ganglion cells, which are not involved in vision. The information travels through the retinohypothalamic tract (RHT). Some mammals are highly seasonal while humans' seasonality is largely evolutionary baggage.[6]

--------------------
2013 Totals

Canada Geese 157
Mallards 54
Woodies 28
Teal 24
widgeon 9
Blacks 12
Goldeneyes 56
Buffleheads 31
Bluebills 5
snows 129
Bands 3

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.
+Quote Post
ccoutdoorlife
post Apr 8 2012, 09:07 AM
Post #14

Chasin' turkeys

Member No.: 9,851

I've not seen any negative effects of the warm winter. It could increase the numbers due to fewer winter deaths in the flock. Less adverse weather and warmer temps. I've hunted four days in SC and have heard plenty of gobblers every day. This has also been my best year so far with two gobblers in the first three days. Even if the hens started early, just make the best of it. There's nothing we can do about the weather so why worry? Good luck to everyone.

--------------------
New father on 1/17/14 @ 6:20AM

I'm a man,
but I can change,
if I have to,
I guess.
+Quote Post
Steve Peperis
post Apr 10 2012, 03:31 AM
Post #15

Tracker

Member No.: 427

Just got back from a scouting trip to Ohio. We scouted out several properties and over 12 gobblers located, every one was henned up. The gobbling was weak after fly down with many because they had so many hens. The foilage was thick, looks like I will be hunting the fields because in the spots I have the woods are a little on the thick side and with the foilage, we could not see that far.

Overall, the hens will make it difficult but that why they call it hunting, we will welcome the challenge!!!

It is certainly ahead of schedule.

Good luck to all and safe hunting.
+Quote Post
Steve Peperis
post Apr 11 2012, 02:06 AM
Post #16

Tracker

Member No.: 427

Just got a call from my friend in Ohio and he found a nest full of eggs today. And it's still 2 weeks before the season opens!! Guess we will be hunting until noon this year, by that time all of the toms will have lost hens and we should find a few lonely ones.
+Quote Post
buckykm1
post Apr 11 2012, 03:37 AM
Post #17

Supreme Hunter

Group: Banned
Member No.: 9,521

It will be interesting to see how it works out this year dry.gif , but i still think that with this unuaslly warm weather we had early it is really going to screw things up.

Kevin

--------------------
Never argue with a Idiot, They will bring you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

2010 Elknutz, Elk contest champions

Photobucket
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version       Primos Inc. © 2010 Time is now: 31st August 2014 - 03:29 PM