Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Setting Up On A Gobbler
turkeytwins
post Mar 25 2012, 07:58 AM
Post #1

Outdoorsman

Group: Members
Member No.: 22,948

how is the best way to set up on a deep woods gobbler. Last year i had two birds gobbli and coming in, but when they come to where i was callin they woud just stood and watched. Is it best to when you set up the first time you see the gobbler he is in range let me know what ya think guys.

--------------------
Chalk It Up
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
buckykm1
post Mar 25 2012, 11:56 AM
Post #2

Supreme Hunter

Group: Banned
Member No.: 9,521

Did you have a decoy ?, it sounds like they came in OK, but just didn't see the hen. to bring them in the last little bit.

Kevin

--------------------
Never argue with a Idiot, They will bring you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

2010 Elknutz, Elk contest champions

Photobucket
+Quote Post
Bowhunter81
post Mar 25 2012, 06:34 PM
Post #3

Trophy Hunter

Member No.: 69,187

If it happens again, call softly at first to get their attention and coming in your direction. Then shut up and let them search for you. AND DO NOT MOVE.

In southern Missouri i shot a gobbler that took almost an hour to get to me from across the ravine. I yelp a total of about 20 seconds. Just the mood he was in.

--------------------
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Hardwoods Heart Stoppers Deer Contest Champs 2012-2013

Give a man a deer, he’ll eat for a day. Teach him to be a bowhunter, will feed his family for ever!!!!

I spent most of my life hunting, the rest I have wasted.
+Quote Post
nyturkeyduster
post Mar 25 2012, 11:15 PM
Post #4

Eat More Meat

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 2,743

It sounds like your set up was good but you just called too much. When you have a bird gobbling good, it's hard to resist to keep calling to him but its something you have to master.

Big woods gobblers can be easy to entice if visibility is limited, reason being is that they have to keep coming closer and go around obstacles such as bushes and trees to find the hen [you] that is calling. It sounds easy but your set up still has to be good, look for a fairly open area to sit where you can maneuver easily and without making too much noise or movement. Try to make sure they are no big obstacles like blow downs or a large creek to keep the gobbler at bay and only call enough to keep that gobbler interested. Calling too much can make a gobbler hang up and strut for you, at that point; he is thinking "I'll just strut, drum and gobble and let her come to me."

You have to play hard to get, that's the bottom line.

If he does hang up but keeps gobbling, stop calling. Then wait 15-20 minutes, keep your eyes open he might pop up at anytime or start to gobble in panic as if to say "Where did you go?" Let him gobble a few times and then just softly cluck, purr and rake some leaves to mimic a hen feeding. He might just trot right in front of your shotgun! Best of luck!

--------------------
Brenner
"Bustin' heads since 2002!"
Create your own banner at mybannermaker.com!

2012-13 Primos Deer Contest Champions Hardwood Heart Stoppers
+Quote Post
Lockhartkent
post Mar 25 2012, 11:51 PM
Post #5

"Fog Valley Taxidermy"

Member No.: 47,357

Stomp the ground with your hand scratching dry grass leaves if it's close enough but just outta range try and immulate a bird scratching if that makes since? Works like a charm every time I do it

--------------------
+Quote Post
Eric Baker
post Mar 26 2012, 04:11 PM
Post #6

Hunter

Group: Primos Prostaff
Member No.: 4

You've gotten a lot of good advice so far. Your set up is probably one of the most important if not the most important things that'll impact your succes on killing the bird. Let's look at the facts...

When a gobbler comes in he does so because he thinks you're a hen. In the real world a gobbler spends his time strutting and displaying to "attract" hens; he does not usually run all over going to every hen he hears. So right from the start you're trying to make him do something he does not normally do. Therefore when/if he does come to your calling he will generally come as far as he needs to come to be seen; in other words he'll come to the point where he thinks the hen can see him and then start strutting to attract/impress her and wait for her to come to him. So if you set up where you can see 75 or 100 yards there is always a very good chance he will hang up out there beyond gun range strutting and waiting for the hen to come to him.

So when picking a set up location I always try to pick a spot where I can shoot most of what I can see; the problem is that is not always possible. Sometimes I can use small ridges or vegetation to create a situation where a gobbler has to come within gun range to see my calling position, but sometimes the woods are just too open. When its really open that's when decoys or calling strategies like the others have shared come into play.

My number one rule is if he can see my calling position then I should not be calling aggressively. Now to be honest I do still do a lot of very soft purring, clucking and soft yelping even when I can see the bird. I believe that kind of talk, which hens do all day all the time, is reassuring and comforting, therefore if I keep it up at a VERY low volume and do it at times when he is not looking right at me (i.e., when he's spinning as he struts, or when he walks behind a tree, etc.) sometimes that small talk is just enough to get him to slide the extra 10-20 yards for a shot within my effective gun range. If my set up allows me to only see 40-60 yards then usually I don't have an issue with the bird hanging up out of range (I prefer shots 40 or less) but if I can see 60+ then it's that much harder to kill him. Some gobblers will still come in even when you can see him coming from 75-100 yards away, but under those circumstances you're going to have a lot hang up too.

So again, where you set up is extremely important to determine if you're going to get a killing shot or not. Its easy to call a bird into sight, the hard part is getting him within shooting distance. Use the terrain as much as you can to your advantage and it'll become your best friend. Its fun to watch him coming from a long ways off but personally I'd rather see him less and get him than just watch them strutt out of range all the time. smile.gif

That's my two cents.

Good luck.
-Eric

--------------------
I hope you hang one by the spur this spring!
+Quote Post
Mr. Mangler
post Mar 26 2012, 08:38 PM
Post #7

Trophy Hunter

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 27,230

Alot of good advice! Your situation is one of the most common frustrations turkey hunters face. I know it has happened to me alot. In situations like that I've had alot of sucsess with fanning the bird in the extra yards, just be carefull where you do this to avoid getting shot. Another tactic that has worked for me before is where we have had two people. The bird is hanging up out of range. One guy sneaks backward while calling immitating the hen leaving while the other guys stays in place. In some occassions this has pulled the gobbler right over the guy who stays behind. If you can see the bird dont be afraid to fan one though, it works. I always use it as one of my last resorts.

--------------------

Team Cluck Dynasty:
2013 Primos Cabin Chat Turkey Contest Champions

Team Blood Bath & Beyond:
2011-2012 Primos Cabin Chat Deer Contest Champions

"The better I become, the more luck people think I have."
"I have not failed, I have just found 10,000 ways that don't work."
+Quote Post
Dr.Death
post Mar 26 2012, 11:58 PM
Post #8

Tracker

Member No.: 21,704

Soft purring and clucking works really well. Ya don't have to be loud. LIstening to hens for many years now and when it is safe and they are content they are always making soft noises. If that doesn't work you can always try moving on him. Say he came in the first time and hung up. If he keeps doing thatget him to answer and warm up then make a quick move to the side or away a little bit. This little trick works excellent for my brother.

The Dr.

--------------------

photo Primosdeerbanner2013_zpsa617d8b9.jpg

+Quote Post
Gobble_adict
post Mar 27 2012, 01:16 AM
Post #9

Turkey Hunting PhD

Member No.: 7,982

QUOTE(nyturkeyduster @ Mar 25 2012, 06:15 PM) *

It sounds like your set up was good but you just called too much. When you have a bird gobbling good, it's hard to resist to keep calling to him but its something you have to master.

Big woods gobblers can be easy to entice if visibility is limited, reason being is that they have to keep coming closer and go around obstacles such as bushes and trees to find the hen [you] that is calling. It sounds easy but your set up still has to be good, look for a fairly open area to sit where you can maneuver easily and without making too much noise or movement. Try to make sure they are no big obstacles like blow downs or a large creek to keep the gobbler at bay and only call enough to keep that gobbler interested. Calling too much can make a gobbler hang up and strut for you, at that point; he is thinking "I'll just strut, drum and gobble and let her come to me."

You have to play hard to get, that's the bottom line.

If he does hang up but keeps gobbling, stop calling. Then wait 15-20 minutes, keep your eyes open he might pop up at anytime or start to gobble in panic as if to say "Where did you go?" Let him gobble a few times and then just softly cluck, purr and rake some leaves to mimic a hen feeding. He might just trot right in front of your shotgun! Best of luck!

Couldn't have said it better!

Rex

--------------------
"Shoot em' in the face."
Joe Judd

"The saddest thing in life is wasted talent."
Chazz Palminteri

http://mountainhollowgamecalls.com/pro-staff/rex-reynolds/
http://mountainhollowgamecalls.com/
https://www.facebook.com/mountainhollow

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App
+Quote Post
GreeneCoDeerKiller
post Mar 29 2012, 06:04 PM
Post #10

Turkey thug

Member No.: 2,714

I'm saying the set up, wasn't good, and you may have called to much. I usally like to set up where the birds has to come in range to find the hen if I don't have a decoy. Like I'll set up on just the other side of a nole or ridge top so he has to come over to find a hen. It sounds to me like you did good everywhere but the set-up he came looking, and got to where he could see, didn't find the hen and went on his way.

--------------------
Hunter

"call loud cause I can, soft cause I must, share no secerts, no one I trust, rain or shine it don't matter to me, I'm turkey thug of the 10th degree" -cuz turkey thug intro

When your in the turkey woods from sun rise to sun set, wear out a pair of boots, and 4 cushions every time you go you know you gave it all you had.

www.arrowslinger.com
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version       Primos Inc. © 2010 Time is now: 28th July 2014 - 11:25 PM