Reply to this topicStart new topic
> More Newbie Calling Questions.
ohioyotes1
post Mar 20 2012, 03:35 PM
Post #1

Outdoorsman

Group: Members
Member No.: 90,123

First of all I hunt on public land in timber ranging from somewhat open and mature hard woods to the thick brushy stuff, no open fields to speak of. I use a Alpha Dogg and been using the Randy Anderson territorial and denning sequences with the idea that they are nearing the end of mating and probally denning up. am I right? if not what calls should I be using? (I did try distressed juvenile cottontail once and brought in 2 domestic cats , I just figured they were living breathing decoys/bait.lol) And how loud should I be calling. I have been calling fairly loud, with no luck. Then I got to thinking..I only have a max of maybe 80 yrds of visability at best. So maybe they are closer than I think and blasting them to loudly with calls is spooking them. Anyone wanna put in their 2 cents?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SWarner1028
post Mar 21 2012, 03:10 AM
Post #2

Mathews Solocam

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 7,863

One of the spots I hunt is thick hardwoods. I usually do a howl at night and see if there are any in the area. If there are they will usually howl back. This late in the season I use distress calls first. If they don't work I use a female howl or whimper as their breeding season is wrapping up.

Start off on a low volume and if nothing comes in then turn it up. I hope this helps!

--------------------
-Scott

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Member of Team # 8: Rack Attackers-2008 Primos Whitetail Champions!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version       Primos Inc. © 2010 Time is now: 25th October 2014 - 09:26 AM