Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New To Coyote Hunting
ohioyotes1
post Mar 16 2012, 10:22 PM
Post #1

Outdoorsman

Group: Members
Member No.: 90,123

Hi all, I'm a life long deer/small game hunter but new to coyote huntin'..and this forum. I live in S.W. Ohio..Clermont county. all my hunting buddies have moved away and my dad has hung it up. sence it seems huntin' yotes has its own set of tricks of the trade I'm hoping to meet a fellow hunter that would hopefully let me tag along and show me a thing or two. I just bought a alpha dogg and would love to try it out and maybe put a dog or two on the ground.

Mike
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SWarner1028
post Mar 17 2012, 12:14 AM
Post #2

Mathews Solocam

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 7,863

First of all welcome to the forum. If we were alittle closer I would love to teach you. But try and stay hidden, like out of the sun and make sure you try to sit in front of something to break up your outline. When you walk in try to be as quite as possible so you don't spook them. Sit with the wind in your face because 9 times out of ten they try to get down wind. I always use a decoy to try to keep the coyotes attention on it while they come in. I also got a alpha dog and love it! Called in quite a few yotes with it.

What caliber are you using?

This post has been edited by SWarner1028: Mar 17 2012, 04:47 AM

--------------------
-Scott

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Member of Team # 8: Rack Attackers-2008 Primos Whitetail Champions!
+Quote Post
dantheman5420
post Mar 17 2012, 12:19 AM
Post #3

Hunter

Member No.: 18,508

Welcome to the Cabin! Everyone here are really helpful and we are all one big happy redneck family that love to hunt and fish, and well just the outdoors in general!

Anyways, if I were you, start looking up youtube videos on coyoting hunting. You can spend hours and hours watching videos and you learn a lot to.

A few things to remember when you huntin dogs is, always try to keep the wind in your favor by having it blowing in your face or at least cross wind. Never sit on top of a hill or something to where you will be skylined. a coyote will see your human outline and will run away before you even see him. and always hide your truck!! Good camo is a plus and keep your body movement to a minimum when your making a stand. use your eyes to look around more then your head.

Good luck!

--------------------
Hunting is my passion. No one will ever change that!
+Quote Post
the hunter
post Mar 17 2012, 04:29 AM
Post #4

Outdoorsman

Member No.: 26,505

QUOTE(ohioyotes1 @ Mar 16 2012, 04:22 PM) *

Hi all, I'm a life long deer/small game hunter but new to coyote huntin'..and this forum. I live in S.W. Ohio..Clermont county. all my hunting buddies have moved away and my dad has hung it up. sence it seems huntin' yotes has its own set of tricks of the trade I'm hoping to meet a fellow hunter that would hopefully let me tag along and show me a thing or two. I just bought a alpha dogg and would love to try it out and maybe put a dog or two on the ground.

Mike

Hello Mike & welcome to the site-forum. I also have a site with alot of articles of interest you can read up on. and if ya need anymore info, help, would be glad to help out any way I can. There are also alot of fellas on here with large measure of info. Hang in their and best of luck to ya. E-mail me if ya like. Bill
http://www.doghousehuntingclub.org/

--------------------
The greatest sound God Bestowed upon Mankind;
The Laughter of A Child!

I may not be perfect, but my dog likes me
+Quote Post
mejeremyb
post Mar 17 2012, 07:36 AM
Post #5

Tracker

Member No.: 6,676

Ok I agree with everything the other guys said except one thing. I very rarely keep the wind in my face. Coyotes circle downwind so if the wind is in your face they come in behind you and a lot of times you won't see them before they smell you. I actually like to keep the wind at my back and just shoot the yotes before they get to my scent cone. The best advise I can give you would be to purchase Tony Tebbe's Predator University "So You Want to be a Predator Caller. It's a very informative DVD. I've been huntin yotes for almost 20 years and still learned quite a bit from the video. I'm actually goin to hunt with Tony this fall. Well good luck and safe huntin!!!!!

--------------------

Jeremy Bailey
+Quote Post
ohioyotes1
post Mar 18 2012, 06:03 PM
Post #6

Outdoorsman

Member No.: 90,123

Thanks for all the info guys, I've been hittin the woods pretty hard last couple weeks. Last night I even took my alpha dogg and gun to work with me and after I got off I went to the field/woods behind where I work (my boss owns it, and is OK with me doing that)...I think I may be a addict now. lol I've spent all my Wife-dont-know-about-it funds for the month on the new caller, so I'll have to replenish the huntin account to buy a rifle ,not allowed to hunt with one in ohio for deer so never had the need for one (exept my .22) I've been huntin with a shotgun. I am thinking about a Remington or Savage 22-250. any suggestions?
+Quote Post
SWarner1028
post Mar 18 2012, 08:04 PM
Post #7

Mathews Solocam

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 7,863

Theres a few calibers out there. My next gun will be in 22-250. There also 223 which will be the cheapest too shoot and the 204 ruger etc.

--------------------
-Scott

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Member of Team # 8: Rack Attackers-2008 Primos Whitetail Champions!
+Quote Post
ohiocoyote
post Mar 18 2012, 11:19 PM
Post #8

Outdoorsman

Member No.: 83,530

I shoot a .223, its a great caliber for yote hunting and other varmint hunting and its not too expensive to shoot. But the 22-250, and .204 are great guns as well. Good luck with the gun shopping and hunting the coyotes!

--------------------
Amendment II. A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

The Second Amendment: AMERICA'S ORIGINAL HOMELAND SECURITY.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version       Primos Inc. © 2010 Time is now: 21st October 2014 - 03:41 AM