> Ever Have A Tree Stand Malfunction?
Catfishturkeyhunter
post Mar 11 2012, 10:27 PM
Post #11

Supreme Hunter

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,614

QUOTE(elkhuntfever @ Mar 11 2012, 02:41 PM) *

They actually HAVE trees in Kansas? Every time I go through on the trip to Colorado I am lulled to sleep. Nothing but empty, gentle rolling plains. Wait, they did plants some wind generators now. : )

Lol yeah, but there aint many. Most of the Kansas timber is in the eastern 3rd of the state. You get past Salina on I 70 west and there aint nothing till Denver blink.gif... There are still some pockets of trees here and there throughout the state though.

--------------------
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Jeepin Bowhunter
post Mar 11 2012, 11:55 PM
Post #12

20 Feet Up

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 2,534

I was hunting in NY about 12 years ago. Sitting in a new Hunters View hang on that had a nice fabric foldout seat. Quiet peaceful third day of gun season with the snow building up on top of my gun barrel. At that point the stitching in the fabric seat cut loose and I started going down. The safety harness caught me. That was the last time I bought my stands on price.

JB

--------------------

/l_|,[_____],
l--|--L --OlllllllO-
()_)()_)--o--)_)

Delta Waterfowl
The Future of Waterfowl and Waterfowl Hunting
+Quote Post
Bowhunter81
post Mar 12 2012, 06:52 PM
Post #13

Trophy Hunter

Member No.: 69,187

Back in college a buddy and me bought 2 new Hunters View Climbers. Out hunting on public land about 100 yards apart, I was about 13-14 feet up a tree when it got a lot smaller in diameter and had to adjust the seat portion cable areound the tree. Well i dropped the pin that holds cable in place and was stranded. luckily there were a few small saplings beside me and jumped and rode one to the ground. Survived it. Buddy heard the whole thing but kept on hunting.

Ever since then i keep a spare pin in backpack.

I had always worried about the stiching on that climber JB. Just didn't look right.

This post has been edited by Bowhunter81: Mar 12 2012, 06:54 PM

--------------------

Hardwoods Heart Stoppers Deer Contest Champs 2012-2013

Give a man a deer, he’ll eat for a day. Teach him to be a bowhunter, will feed his family for ever!!!!

I spent most of my life hunting, the rest I have wasted.
+Quote Post
nyturkeyduster
post Mar 14 2012, 03:25 AM
Post #14

Eat More Meat

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 2,743

I bought a Hunter's View climber when I first started deer hunting back in 2002, back then 100 dollars was a lot more money to me and it was all I could afford. The stand weighed 27 pounds, it rattled when carried and was noisy as heck when setting up. I too, had a near fall with it. Someone stole it from the spot I stashed it before I could hunt with it again. I think they did me a favor.

--------------------
Brenner
"Bustin' heads since 2002!"
+Quote Post
Steve Peperis
post Mar 14 2012, 05:33 PM
Post #15

Tracker

Group: Primos Prostaff
Member No.: 427

That old Baker was my first climber 25 years ago. Please promise us you will never use one like that again. They can be very dangerous. I too once slid down the whole tree, once they started you were in trouble.
Steve
+Quote Post
Bowhunter81
post Mar 14 2012, 08:20 PM
Post #16

Trophy Hunter

Member No.: 69,187

I guess its in, Bakers and Hunter's View were the bad ones. laugh.gif

Yea the Hunters view were heavy and noisy. I remember walking back into the Drury/Mincy Conservation ground quite a distance and be completlely covered in sweat after carrying one of those stands. Gave every deer there a chance to run. Would have had a better chance to kill a deer if i was dragging cans behind me. Gave you a good work-out though. biggrin.gif

Like you say nyturkeyduster, $100 bucks was a lot back then, when in college.

--------------------

Hardwoods Heart Stoppers Deer Contest Champs 2012-2013

Give a man a deer, he’ll eat for a day. Teach him to be a bowhunter, will feed his family for ever!!!!

I spent most of my life hunting, the rest I have wasted.
+Quote Post
elkhuntfever
post Mar 14 2012, 11:28 PM
Post #17

Hunter

Member No.: 11,853

I have a deal for anyone that has never used a Baker. I will sell you mine so you can enjoy the feeling of being in a tree stand just waiting for it to drop you. : P

--------------------
Photobucket

Just hit me upside the head with a 2x4, that MIGHT get my mind off of elk hunting.
+Quote Post
buckykm1
post Mar 15 2012, 12:20 AM
Post #18

Supreme Hunter

Group: Banned
Member No.: 9,521

QUOTE(elkhuntfever @ Mar 14 2012, 05:28 PM) *

I have a deal for anyone that has never used a Baker. I will sell you mine so you can enjoy the feeling of being in a tree stand just waiting for it to drop you. : P

Jim

Now that you have gotten older, and packed on a few pounds smile.gif , it probably wouldn't be a problem any more ohmy.gif , as much as you weight now, it should really bite into the tree. biggrin.gif tongue.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Kevin

--------------------
Never argue with a Idiot, They will bring you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

2010 Elknutz, Elk contest champions

Photobucket
+Quote Post
elkhuntfever
post Mar 15 2012, 11:42 AM
Post #19

Hunter

Member No.: 11,853

Jim

Now that you have gotten older, and packed on a few pounds smile.gif , it probably wouldn't be a problem any more ohmy.gif , as much as you weight now, it should really bite into the tree. biggrin.gif tongue.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Kevin

And that is the problem! Once it bit into the tree, I'd never get it back out. biggrin.gif Time to get some use out of it and sell it for scrap. smile.gif

--------------------
Photobucket

Just hit me upside the head with a 2x4, that MIGHT get my mind off of elk hunting.
+Quote Post
buckykm1
post Mar 15 2012, 01:14 PM
Post #20

Supreme Hunter

Group: Banned
Member No.: 9,521

Kevin

And that is the problem! Once it bit into the tree, I'd never get it back out. biggrin.gif Time to get some use out of it and sell it for scrap. smile.gif
[/quote]

Jim

If there is someone that you don't like ?, you could just give it to them. biggrin.gif
If you don't know anyone ?, i have a suggestion ohmy.gif biggrin.gif .

Kevin

--------------------
Never argue with a Idiot, They will bring you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

2010 Elknutz, Elk contest champions

Photobucket
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version       Primos Inc. © 2010 Time is now: 1st October 2014 - 08:17 PM