5 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Stupid Question. Do You Remember Your First Deer Kill?
elkhuntfever
post Mar 13 2012, 08:07 PM
Post #21

Hunter

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,853

I can also remember my first miss. Opening day Michigan rifle season, cold as usual with some snow on the ground. Hunted with my dad, and neighbor fella on his family property. Old 30 30 bolt action I had never shot. I watched 2 does pass me a 30 yards and disappear into the brush. I heard ice cracking and thought it was the does but caught sight of a deers back heading the other direction. It cleared the brush and I saw antlers. Within seconds I was shaking sooooo bad I couldn't control it. I emptied the gun at it but in hind sight, I never used the sights, just kinda pointed in the general direction. Doggies was Dad mad.

That was some 45 years ago.

This post has been edited by elkhuntfever: Mar 13 2012, 08:08 PM

--------------------
Photobucket

Just hit me upside the head with a 2x4, that MIGHT get my mind off of elk hunting.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
BigT
post Mar 13 2012, 10:00 PM
Post #22

Supreme Hunter

Member No.: 1,768

I can remember my first miss as well! It was the day after I killed my first deer. I missed a 145" 10 point at 50 yards with my 12 gauge. Perfectly broadside for the first shot and on the run for the last two! You talk about buck fever!!!

--------------------
"We can complain because rose bushes have thorns.....or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses"
+Quote Post
okbowman
post Mar 14 2012, 07:43 AM
Post #23

Supreme Hunter

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 2,756

Surely no one could ever forget their first deer. I sure do remember my first, and my 2nd and 3rd and 4th and 5th........I may have forgotten a doe or two since then, but I remember almost every deer I've ever killed (atleast 30) I remember a few misses too

--------------------
Create your own banner at mybannermaker.com!

Member of '07-'08 Deer Contest Championship Team

Member of '12 Turkey Contest Championship Team

Thank God He made all those critters.

God, Family, and Hunting that's what its all about, and if you take your family to the outdoors, you can have all 3 in 1!!!!
+Quote Post
BigT
post Mar 14 2012, 03:16 PM
Post #24

Supreme Hunter

Member No.: 1,768

QUOTE(okbowman @ Mar 14 2012, 01:43 AM) *

Surely no one could ever forget their first deer. I sure do remember my first, and my 2nd and 3rd and 4th and 5th........I may have forgotten a doe or two since then, but I remember almost every deer I've ever killed (atleast 30) I remember a few misses too

I will second those words exactly!! Of the 35 deer I've killed...I can pretty much tell you the details of every one of them. Where I was hunting and what year it was. But I have a little help with that too.......I keep a VERY detailed hunting journal. I have ever since my first deer season in 1992.

And yes....unfortunatley I can tell you every detail about missing that 145" 10 point in November of 1993 or the 135" 8 point with my bow on Thanksgiving morning of 2007....etc...etc.... sad.gif

--------------------
"We can complain because rose bushes have thorns.....or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses"
+Quote Post
arkybohunter
post Mar 15 2012, 05:40 AM
Post #25

Hunter

Member No.: 20,431

no doubt big t some times the hart break is more vived than the secess. first miss the year before I killed my first deed man was I sad. It was a long wait till the next fall to redeam myself.
+Quote Post
Mystery Hunter
post Mar 15 2012, 05:01 PM
Post #26

Tracker

Member No.: 45,973

Yes, will never forget it! Back in 1765 I killed my first one with a spear at 20 yards. I was sitting out under a big oak tree after running deer for 10 miles and was just giving them a break. I hated to run them to death back then. As I was sitting there in my Loin cloth Camo iheard a limb break behind me. I layed flat on the ground with spear in front of me. The big 10 point step to my right and stood there for ever it seemed like. Then after waiting as long as I could, I eased up the spear at shoulder hiegth and let it go. It struck it right behind the front shoulder, ran about 20 yards and piled up! I was 6 at the time!! Seems like yesterday now! Killed many a deer sense then, but will never forget that even if it was in my past life!! LOL

--------------------
Life is to short, without time in the woods!
Photobucket

+Quote Post
Randolph Cox
post Jul 3 2012, 03:57 AM
Post #27

Supreme Hunter

Member No.: 3,187

1987 I Shot a doe with my remington 1100 shotgun in front of a pack of dogs when I was 11.I havent dog hunted in nearly 20yrs now but it was fun.I've taken over 200 since then and remember every single one..lol

--------------------
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
+Quote Post
woodwise#3
post Jul 3 2012, 06:00 AM
Post #28

Hunter

Member No.: 18,102

1985, button head, 16ga overunder w/buckshot. Got out of stand to find him and couldn't thought I missed. Got back in stand hunted another hour or so then found him on the walk out.

--------------------

/a>Create your own banner at mybannermaker.com!

+Quote Post
Jeepin Bowhunter
post Jul 3 2012, 03:04 PM
Post #29

20 Feet Up

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 2,534

Illinois First Season Shot gun.

About 20 years ago I had a large wooden platform stand that was about 4 feet square with no sides in a massive oak that stood on a point of timber that jutted out into a cut bean field. This was only my second season hunting deer and I din't even own a bow. I had a 12 gauge 870 Remington with a smooth bore deer barrel and rifle sights. Got in the stand before daylight loaded up and sat to wait. Temp was about 30 degrees with 25 to 30 MPH winds in my face. About 9:30 I decided it time for some coffee so I drug out the thermos got off my folding stool and watched the stool blow into the gun which was leaning against the tree. The loaded 870 took off for the ground 12 feet below and smacked into the tree twice on the way down. All I could think of was that it would go off and drill a Breneke 3" mag slug into my chest. It didn't go off so and I was still alive so I climbed down unloaded it checked the barrel for dirt and the gun for damage and it looked fine. Climbed back into the tree, hauled up the gun and reloaded. While sitting there. I glanced down at the gun layin in my lap and saw were it hit the tree: right on the rear ramp of the rifle sights. The sight was shoved as far forward as it would go. So I shoved it to the middle of the ramp and hoped it was close.

At that point 3 does come charging over the hill in the middle of the bean field at a trot 175 yards out and were heading toward my stand. The field edge they headed for was 60 yards out through light brush. When they hit the field edge they went into a dead run. I shot at and dropped the third and largest doe at 60 yards through brush at a dead run with a busted sight in her tracks with a neck shot. At that point the big ten point came over the hill and followed the remaining does and I was out of tags. So I promptly got down began gutting my deer and the knife slipped and I cut my index finger to the bone over half way around the fnger and then went to the ER for nine stiches and a $300 bill.

870 Express with two barrels: $254.00

2 boxes of 12 Gauge Breneke Slugs $10.50

A trip to the ER: $300.00

Having a story of all the things not to do while deer hunting: Priceless

JB

--------------------

/l_|,[_____],
l--|--L --OlllllllO-
()_)()_)--o--)_)

Delta Waterfowl
The Future of Waterfowl and Waterfowl Hunting
+Quote Post
bowin_in_illinois
post Jul 3 2012, 03:44 PM
Post #30

...with hilarious consequences!

Member No.: 1,907

I hunted for 4 years before finally taking my first deer Nov. 8th, 2004. A little spike buck. That was 8 years, and 40-50 pounds ago....gees I look young and thin! smile.gif

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v717/bow...g/11-8-2004.jpg

--------------------
+Quote Post

5 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version       Primos Inc. © 2010 Time is now: 26th November 2014 - 07:24 AM