Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Elk Hunting Spots, The unwritten rule
Bugle 'Em In
post Mar 4 2012, 05:07 PM
Post #1

Hunter

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,942

Hey all, I'm looking for people's opinions on one of the unwritten rules of elk hunting in the West.

Background: I had a buddy a few years ago ask me to take him to my elk hunting spot as he knows I've been blessed each year with success there. I told him that I would but he had to PROMISE that he was to never take anyone there. Of course he promised and he stuck to it for the first few years. Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago this year and he has indicated that he is now bringing someone out West with him and into the spot. Granted it is public land, but without me showing him he would not have known to hunt this area. I was close to this guy, but was still gaurded and did not show him my best spots. Luckily this area is heavily hunted and tough to harvest a bull in anyways. Chances are this new guy will get discouraged. Its the betrayal and principle that strokes me.

My unwritten rule, and most of the West goes by it as well, is that you DO NOT bring someone else into an area showed to you unless granted the blessing of the person who showed you the spot. Public or private, it doesn't matter!

I've noticed now that my buddy lives in the mid-west, his views have changed a bit. With that said, I'd like to know what your views are from the people who live in the East or Mid-west. Also, if there are any other unwritten rules of hunting, perhaps this is a great place to write them down so guests learn how to treat their hosts.

This post has been edited by Bugle 'Em In: Mar 4 2012, 05:08 PM

--------------------
Photobucket
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
WYO DIY ELK
post Mar 4 2012, 06:15 PM
Post #2

Outdoorsman

Member No.: 5,115

Had the same thing happen a handful of years ago. I took a guy from work that had moved here and wanted to hunt elk. Took him to my honey hole at that time and had success. The next year he had 4 buddies in there. Heck they moved into my camp pretty much. I switched areas after that and he wanted to go in there with me. I politely told him NO!
As like you I am hunting public ground but go by the unwritten code of if someone invites you, you don't just move in on them without a little discusion or as you said there blessings. Also if I where to run into another camp I woud move along so as not to intrude on someone who is already established.
The area I hunt now is a about an 8 mile pack and I don't ever see anyone during bow season. I also don't tell anyone where I am.

HANK

--------------------
Hunt til it hurts, Ya got all year to recoop!!!!
+Quote Post
Elknut1
post Mar 4 2012, 06:31 PM
Post #3

Hunter

Member No.: 831

That's "Elk Adultery"! The lowest form of scum! A true friend would not even consider such a move!

ElkNut1

--------------------
http://www.elknut.com
Vortex Optics Dealer
+Quote Post
montanaelkslayer
post Mar 4 2012, 07:01 PM
Post #4

Elk Fanatic

Member No.: 3,891

QUOTE(Elknut1 @ Mar 4 2012, 01:31 PM) *

That's "Elk Adultery"! The lowest form of scum! A true friend would not even consider such a move!

ElkNut1

BOOM...my thoughts exactly.

Also, a guest in ones camp should always ask before he treds. Not only is this being respectful of others but its commen sense you don't bring outsiders to a camp that is not yours at all. Makes me sick when stuff like this goes down.

--------------------
Good huntin

Aaron

2007 PSE X-Force, 71#, 27" draw, Black Gold 4 pin sight, Spot Hogg Whammy rest, TR ridge hunter quiver, Carbon Express Maxima Hunter 350's arrows, G5 Striker 100 grain broadhead, lots of sims limbsaver toys all over. Oh yeah I am bringin the heat now!
+Quote Post
Sp3Ak-Th3-LaNgUaG3
post Mar 5 2012, 12:54 AM
Post #5

Spike Killer!

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 6,346

One of my buddies has since done about the same thing Seth. Only thing is, He doesn't hunt near as hard as I do and neither did the guy he brought in there. They pretty much drove the roads and stayed out of my area for the most part....because it involves walking.

I can't think of really any other unwritten rules besides the obvious ones.....like first one to kill an elk out of the hunting party gets moved to camp "cook" smile.gif

--------------------
Trent Williams
WYO!!!
2009 ELK CONTEST CHAMPIONS!
2011-2012 DEER CONTEST CHAMPIONS!

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
+Quote Post
buckykm1
post Mar 5 2012, 01:22 PM
Post #6

Supreme Hunter

Group: Banned
Member No.: 9,521

If. someone is nice enough to take you to there secret spot, you should never show or take anyone else there.
i have lost several whitetail spots and friends that way over the years.

Kevin

--------------------
Never argue with a Idiot, They will bring you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

2010 Elknutz, Elk contest champions

Photobucket
+Quote Post
jcELK
post Mar 6 2012, 04:21 PM
Post #7

Spot&Stalk

Member No.: 11,961

QUOTE(Elknut1 @ Mar 4 2012, 01:31 PM) *

ElkNut1

Exactly!!

--------------------
Member of '12 Turkey Contest Championship Team

photo TeamBanner_zps1687c81a.jpg
+Quote Post
Tecumseh
post Mar 7 2012, 02:14 AM
Post #8

Hunter

Member No.: 12,622

That's not cool at all! I took two guys to the area I've hunted a few times in Montana last year and made them take a blood oath to never give the location of the area where we hunted. If they ever show someone else the area rest assured they'll never go with me again!!!!
+Quote Post
Dan4Elk2
post Mar 22 2012, 05:50 PM
Post #9

Outdoorsman

Member No.: 3,258

QUOTE(WYO DIY ELK @ Mar 4 2012, 01:15 PM) *

Had the same thing happen a handful of years ago. I took a guy from work that had moved here and wanted to hunt elk. Took him to my honey hole at that time and had success. The next year he had 4 buddies in there. Heck they moved into my camp pretty much. I switched areas after that and he wanted to go in there with me. I politely told him NO!
As like you I am hunting public ground but go by the unwritten code of if someone invites you, you don't just move in on them without a little discusion or as you said there blessings. Also if I where to run into another camp I woud move along so as not to intrude on someone who is already established.
The area I hunt now is a about an 8 mile pack and I don't ever see anyone during bow season. I also don't tell anyone where I am.
HANK

Hank
Was your "Honey Hole" the sweet spot in Wyoming, where I traveled from Wisconsin to meet you there at your camp? Just the two of us. We were on the second morning of the archery elk hunt and it was my turn to set up for the bull. By 7:30a.m. I (WE) had a great 7x6 bull on the ground! Great 330 bull! I have to say this was the best elk hunt of my time so far! I owe all that to you Hank! Hank your awesome Man and One hell of a great hunter! Does this mean I can go to that sweet spot without you now? LOL The new area your hunting now, which I some what know, been there. You say you don't tell anyone where you are! You should at least tell someone (ME) just in case something would ever happen to you! I have read stories on this type of situations. Just my 2cents. Hope to get out WY soon to see you again. Thank you again!

Dan

--------------------
[size=4]Live To Hunt!
+Quote Post
psp8ball
post Mar 23 2012, 09:51 PM
Post #10

Tracker

Member No.: 6,023

My dad taught me to NEVER tell someone where you hunt. The older I get the more I see how he was right. The unfortunate part is that if we (as hunters) help someone out to give them a taste of hunting and they have success in that spot, they will be forever going back to that spot.

As far as unwritten rules.

I don't think people should try to "claim" a hunting spot when it's on public land. i.e. The guy who leaves his wall tent up for 4 weeks and thinks everything within 2 miles is off limits for other hunters.

On the flipside, I wish people would respect where others are hunting and give people some space if they were there first.

I guess those are more etiquette, but sort of unwritten rules.

--------------------
It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard...is what makes it great.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version       Primos Inc. © 2010 Time is now: 1st September 2014 - 11:46 PM