2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Mossberg 500 Combo 20 Gauge, anybody have any experience with this gun?
BigT
post Mar 2 2012, 05:35 AM
Post #1

Supreme Hunter

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,768

Anybody have any remarks or comments on a Mossberg 500 model shotgun? Still looking for a good shotgun to buy for my son Ethan. He's 11. Looking to find a good gun that he can hunt all types of game: Turkey, rabbits, deer. But without breaking the bank.

I've never owned a mossberg before. Any feedback?

--------------------
"We can complain because rose bushes have thorns.....or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses"
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
buckykm1
post Mar 2 2012, 12:25 PM
Post #2

Supreme Hunter

Group: Banned
Member No.: 9,521

I had the Mossberg 500 combo in 12 gauge, it is a good gun for the money, i wouldn't hesitate to buy one again.

Kevin

--------------------
Never argue with a Idiot, They will bring you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

2010 Elknutz, Elk contest champions

Photobucket
+Quote Post
Eric Baker
post Mar 2 2012, 03:46 PM
Post #3

Hunter

Group: Primos Prostaff
Member No.: 4

I bought my son a camo youth model Remington 870 when he was 8 yrs old (he is now 13). I put a sling on it for him, a red dot scope, a Limb Saver slip on recoil pad, a comb riser to get his head up on the stock so he can look through the red dot, and a Primos Jellyhead choke in the business end. He shoots Remington HD 3" shells, #5 shot, and I can tell you that any turkey within 40 yards is in serious trouble. cool.gif He has killed 11 turkeys with that combination so far from 15 to 41 yards, and they have all dropped stone dead, including the 41 yarder. No joke, the 41 yard bird did not even flop, his wings just moved a little. I have been absolutely amazed at the performance of that gun and would recommend it to every person looking for a youth shotgun and I would use it myself over my 12 ga. if it fit me better.

Check it out; you won't be disppointed. Its made well, performs well, and I have always said the 870 is the working mans gun because its high quality for an affordable price. I wouldn't buy my son anything else. That's just my humble opinion.

-Eric

--------------------
I hope you hang one by the spur this spring!
+Quote Post
nyturkeyduster
post Mar 2 2012, 06:38 PM
Post #4

Eat More Meat

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 2,743

I used to have a 500, it was noisy and rattled like crazy when handling it and carrying it on the sling. I sold it after a few months.

The 870 Youth model 20 gauge is a great kids gun, you can pick up a cantilever fully rifled slug barrel for them as well to cover all the bases on what you'll be hunting.

Here's some pictures I took of it in action...

Trent's first turkey
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y197/nytu...r/spring018.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y197/nytu...r/spring005.jpg

Ex-girlfriend Dominique (4' 10" @ 110 lbs) and her first turkey
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y197/nytu...er/domshen3.jpg

Dominique's first deer.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y197/nytu...uster/doms1.jpg

--------------------
Brenner
"Bustin' heads since 2002!"
+Quote Post
Drop-time
post Mar 3 2012, 06:35 AM
Post #5

Deer/Turkey Guy

Member No.: 14,099

The boys have a 500 bantam model. Adjustable stock to grow with the child and reduced jacking distance on the pump. I used a limbsaver recoil pad and they have both had good sucuss with the gun. Its a mossberg and it has the rattly forearm to prove it!
Just gotta get used to carrying it with one hand under the forearm and all is well. Heck ive killed turkeys with it!
Its a great combo for a kid and at around 350 bucks with 2 barrels, you cant go wrong.
+Quote Post
Oregon Turkey Hunter
post Mar 3 2012, 06:55 AM
Post #6

Archery Nut

Member No.: 16,798

I have a Rem 870 20ga and love it for turkey. I have taken 7 birds with it. Shots have ranged from 10-42 paces.
Primos TightWad and #5 Winchester Copper plated lead do wonders!

I also have uses slugs out of it and have got good accuracy with plain foster slugs and smooth bore with a scope.

My mom has a Moss. 500 20g and its a good gun too but I agree it's a litttle rattly but still a good gun for the $$.

--------------------
Jared

-The hardest things in life come with the most rewards.

-Freedom isn't free.

www.bethedecoy.com
BeTheDecoy Prostaff
*** Hunting Prostaff
http://www.facebook.com/***-Hunting
+Quote Post
buckykm1
post Mar 3 2012, 12:58 PM
Post #7

Supreme Hunter

Group: Banned
Member No.: 9,521

As some others have said, if ?, a Remington 870 express combo is in the budget ?, it is a better gun.

Kevin

--------------------
Never argue with a Idiot, They will bring you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

2010 Elknutz, Elk contest champions

Photobucket
+Quote Post
Drop-time
post Mar 5 2012, 04:05 AM
Post #8

Deer/Turkey Guy

Member No.: 14,099

QUOTE(BigT @ Mar 1 2012, 09:35 PM) *

Anybody have any remarks or comments on a Mossberg 500 model shotgun? Still looking for a good shotgun to buy for my son Ethan. He's 11. Looking to find a good gun that he can hunt all types of game: Turkey, rabbits, deer. But without breaking the bank.

I've never owned a mossberg before. Any feedback?

I actually own both the Mossberg 500 bantam and the Remington 870 youth..both in 20 gauge. I like the Mossberg better, and its taken a bunch of deer and turkeys the past few years. Synthetic stock, full camo, ported barrel (better for kids), and lighter weight for a youngster to pack. With the limbsaver recoil pad and ported barrel, it doesnt kick very much even at a much lighter weight. You wont touch the same gun in Remington for the price if budget is your concern.
+Quote Post
Matthew J. Greene
post Mar 5 2012, 07:08 PM
Post #9

Buckeye State Hunter

Member No.: 39

Hey Travis, I started hunting with a Mossberg 500. I have a few friends who have them and they have all shot well.

If it settles your mind on the quality of the gun, the Army chose the 500 as it's pump gun (they also use a Benelli semi auto)

I don't think you can go wrong with a Rem 870 either. The 500 is probably less expensive.

This post has been edited by Matthew J. Greene: Mar 5 2012, 07:10 PM

--------------------
Matthew

Check out Geocaching.com. Put your GPS enabled device to another use that the whole family will enjoy. I'm M_J_Greene on the forum.
+Quote Post
ohiocoyote
post Mar 5 2012, 07:57 PM
Post #10

Outdoorsman

Member No.: 83,530

I have the Mossberg 500 in the 12 gauge combo and I love it. Like some others said it does rattle a little bit, but nothing that effects the accuracy of the gun. I would recommend the Mossberg to anyone. I bought it simply because it was cheaper than the 870 combo and I have friends that shoot it as well. I'm sure you would be satisfied if you purchased it.

--------------------
Amendment II. A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

The Second Amendment: AMERICA'S ORIGINAL HOMELAND SECURITY.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version       Primos Inc. © 2010 Time is now: 22nd December 2014 - 07:00 AM