Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Changing Units, Insight and thoughts
Elk_Archer_0320
post Feb 28 2012, 10:39 PM
Post #1

Outdoorsman

Group: Members
Member No.: 53,270

Well Fellas and Ladies, its that time again. Elk fever is in the air here in Colorado and I'm sure all over!! Unfortunately I lost my long time hunting buddy due to job relocation and had to find a new crew. I hate leaving my spot in Unit 23/33, but these guys hunt in Unit 19. Anybody have any suggestions on what I should do? Also if anyone knows anything about 19 that would be great info. Thanks for the help laugh.gif
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
exhughes2
post Feb 28 2012, 10:50 PM
Post #2

Hunter

Member No.: 10,632

Its hard to say what you should do. If you know those units well then why change spots? Why not find someone else that will hunt in those units? I don't know much about 19 but if your buddies are doing good there then I would think it might be worth while to give it a shot for a season. I hunt solo, this year will be my 6th year in the same spot. I like to hunt solo because if I mess up the hunt then its on me and its no one elses fault but my own. If you can go solo that might be a good option.

This post has been edited by exhughes2: Feb 28 2012, 11:00 PM

--------------------
2011 Turkey Contest Champs - Team Dirt Nap
2010 Turkey Contest Champs - Team Dirt Nap
2010 Elk Contest Champs - Team Elknutz
+Quote Post
buckykm1
post Mar 5 2012, 02:54 PM
Post #3

Supreme Hunter

Group: Banned
Member No.: 9,521

From what i have heard and read about unit 19, it isn't a great unit. if i were you, i would stick with the units you know, and just try to find a new hunting partner. jmo

Kevin

--------------------
Never argue with a Idiot, They will bring you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

2010 Elknutz, Elk contest champions

Photobucket
+Quote Post
Bugle 'Em In
post Mar 6 2012, 03:41 PM
Post #4

Hunter

Member No.: 3,942

Me personally, I would try the new unit with new people for this year UNLESS I already had a slammin' elk spot. Its kind of like the old fishing saying goes...you don't leave fish to find more fish. If I tried the new spot and didn't like it as much as the old one, I'd head back to your old stomping grounds. How many elk have you guys killed in the old spot?

Eric - do you mess things up a lot for yourself? smile.gif LOL

--------------------
Photobucket
+Quote Post
exhughes2
post Mar 6 2012, 06:40 PM
Post #5

Hunter

Member No.: 10,632

QUOTE(Bugle 'Em In @ Mar 6 2012, 08:41 AM) *

I do, twice last year, 3 times the year before and on and on but one thing is for sure, no one else messed up my hunt but me. I hunt when I want to, where I want to, how I want to. If I don't want to get up at the butt crack of dawn I won't, if I want to hike 10 miles from camp I will and if I want to just sit and watch I can do that too. The only stink in the air is mine and the only noise to be heard is me, I can move as fast or as slow as I want and if I want to just lay down and take a nap I can.

I know that when the time come's and the horns hit the ground its going to be because I did it, I called the shots, I planned the game and I concurred. But until then its the agony of defeat. biggrin.gif

I love elk hunting, I love being out in elk country solo, there is nothing like it.

--------------------
2011 Turkey Contest Champs - Team Dirt Nap
2010 Turkey Contest Champs - Team Dirt Nap
2010 Elk Contest Champs - Team Elknutz
+Quote Post
Elk_Archer_0320
post Mar 7 2012, 03:36 AM
Post #6

Outdoorsman

Member No.: 53,270

QUOTE(Bugle 'Em In @ Mar 6 2012, 11:41 AM) *

Me personally, I would try the new unit with new people for this year UNLESS I already had a slammin' elk spot. Its kind of like the old fishing saying goes...you don't leave fish to find more fish. If I tried the new spot and didn't like it as much as the old one, I'd head back to your old stomping grounds. How many elk have you guys killed in the old spot?

We've been there for about 3 years and killed 1 elk 2 out of the 3 years. The guys I might go with have only gone to that one spot last year and came up on an elk 25 yards away but it wasn't in a shooting lane. The bull stood there for 15-20 minutes bugling and peeing all over the place but wouldn't step out and then took off.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version       Primos Inc. © 2010 Time is now: 31st August 2014 - 01:29 PM