Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Wyoming Unit 38
elksniper
post Feb 25 2012, 04:59 AM
Post #1

Outdoorsman

Group: Members
Member No.: 621

Hey guys, I just found out I drew a tag for unit 38 in Wyoming. I've been elk hunting for 10yrs and finally drew a good tag (I didn't start applying for special draws right away). I'm just looking for some general information about the country - how much timber is there, how rough is the terrain, hunter pressure, rut timing, any other useful info would be appreciated. I drew the type 1 tag but I'll be archery hunting only. I've also hunted several areas in Montana, Idaho, and Colorado and I'd be willing to trade info too. Thanks in advance.

This post has been edited by elksniper: Feb 25 2012, 05:00 AM
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
WYO DIY ELK
post Mar 1 2012, 06:58 AM
Post #2

Outdoorsman

Member No.: 5,115

QUOTE(elksniper @ Feb 24 2012, 11:59 PM) *

Hey guys, I just found out I drew a tag for unit 38 in Wyoming. I've been elk hunting for 10yrs and finally drew a good tag (I didn't start applying for special draws right away). I'm just looking for some general information about the country - how much timber is there, how rough is the terrain, hunter pressure, rut timing, any other useful info would be appreciated. I drew the type 1 tag but I'll be archery hunting only. I've also hunted several areas in Montana, Idaho, and Colorado and I'd be willing to trade info too. Thanks in advance.

Great area! The terrain is moderate to rough, but there are tons of roads for access. Most every local but me puts in for 38. Has a ton of elk, with some real dandy bulls. As far a rut timing, that's a year to year deal. Last year the bulls where still in bachelor herds the 10th of Sept. The year before they where going nuts opening morning. The tags in that area are very limited so after the Labor day weekend campers leave, you should have it to yourself so to speak. I can find out somemore specific details this weekend when I go back to work. I only live 45 min from 38 and one of these years I will have to try it but for now I hunt an area bordering it.

--------------------
Hunt til it hurts, Ya got all year to recoop!!!!
+Quote Post
WYO DIY ELK
post Mar 6 2012, 07:37 PM
Post #3

Outdoorsman

Member No.: 5,115

I talked to a handful of guys at work who have hunted 38 quit a bit over the years. Everyone of them said that you can drive the roads a couple of days before season and see the elk out in the parks. Also they all gave me different spots to start. The three that they all mentioned where Lick, Lake and Bull Creek drainages. Good places to get started.
They all said that the Labor Day Weekend is usually a wash with all the campers on the mountain. So you may want to plan around that depending on your days off.
Hope this helps you a little.

--------------------
Hunt til it hurts, Ya got all year to recoop!!!!
+Quote Post
JACK JR
post Mar 10 2012, 06:41 PM
Post #4

Outdoorsman

Member No.: 3,333

elksniper, do you realize area 38 is one of the units that with a type1 tag you can't archery hunt until october 15 the day rifle season starts? A lot of guys don't know this. You need a type 9 to archery hunt area38 in the sept. bow season. Just a heads up, good luck !

--------------------
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version       Primos Inc. © 2010 Time is now: 26th November 2014 - 09:50 AM