Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Scope Verus Open Sights
Gobble_adict
post Mar 2 2012, 01:32 PM
Post #11

Turkey Hunting PhD

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,982

I really like my Tru-Glo Gobble Dot that I had on my gun. I've seen a lot of guys miss on TV with scopes. Never shot a scope on my shot gun.

I find that it is very easy to acquire a moving target in my open sights.

I just bought the Dead Ringer Beard Buster sight for my shot gun this year, so far so good, I can through the gun up and find the bead immediately. This company is out of Rodchester and in the Truth 23 a lot of the Primos Boys have dead ringer sights on their shot guns. They aren't tru-glo. You can tell by the big orange ring. Check them out.

Rex

--------------------
"Shoot em' in the face."
Joe Judd

"The saddest thing in life is wasted talent."
Chazz Palminteri

http://mountainhollowgamecalls.com/pro-staff/rex-reynolds/
http://mountainhollowgamecalls.com/
https://www.facebook.com/mountainhollow
Create your own banner at mybannermaker.com!

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Tommy -Deadeye- Barham
post Mar 6 2012, 02:56 PM
Post #12

Hunter

Member No.: 10

That is a topic I debate with myself every year and so far I haven't talked myself into using a scope yet. I know there are alot of advantages with a scope and like Steve my vision
is becoming more of a factor but I think of the times I hunted with friends who chose to use
a single barrell 10 ga. After they missed I was the cleanup man and flying and running turkeys
are hard to hit using a scope. Haha !
in HIM,
Deadeye

--------------------
Tommy(Deadeye)Barham
+Quote Post
Busta Biggun
post Mar 7 2012, 07:19 PM
Post #13

Outdoorsman

Member No.: 10,233

I agree with Brenner for the most part, but since my turkey gun is choked down to where it is like shooting a slug at close range (which is where I like to get them) I need ascope to get me to focus on getting that dot on his head and holding through the shot. I missed a few close ones several years ago and decided to go with a scope and haven't missed since. I did have some problems with my tru-glo red dots breaking the glass, but switched to an Eotech last year and LOVE that thing. Built like a tank!

This post has been edited by Busta Biggun: Mar 7 2012, 07:20 PM

--------------------
Photobucket
+Quote Post
ccoutdoorlife
post Mar 9 2012, 01:18 AM
Post #14

Chasin' turkeys

Member No.: 9,851

I have a b-square mount and a tru-glo dot on my 870. I did it out of neccessity because I couldn't hit where I aimed with the bead. I would rather use a bead only but I don't like to have to compensate for the inaccurate point of aim/impact.

--------------------
New father on 1/17/14 @ 6:20AM

I'm a man,
but I can change,
if I have to,
I guess.
+Quote Post
TURKEY TAMER
post Mar 11 2012, 05:59 AM
Post #15

Outdoorsman

Member No.: 55,038

I think the main thing is to put some rounds through your gun, know it well. Know where it hits and how the pattern is at all the yardages that you feel comfortable taking a turkey from.

I use a single bead. I'm one of those guys who shoots the 10 ga. Anything inside 50 yards pays the price.

I prefer to let them get as close as they will, (watch'em BLINK)

I can't wait!!!!!!!! Good Luck cool.gif

--------------------

Member of the 2012 Turkey Contest Champions
+Quote Post
Eric Baker
post Mar 11 2012, 03:58 PM
Post #16

Hunter

Group: Primos Prostaff
Member No.: 4

I know I already commented here but I just bought a new 870 a few weeks ago and it came with a number of fiber optic single bead options. Basically the gun comes with a clamp or bead holder (whatever you want to call it) that clicks onto the vented rib of the barrel on the shooter side of the barrel bead (like a Tru-Glo sight). There are also a bunch of different fiber optic bead options included so you can pick the one you like best and snap it into the clamp (they are interchangable). One of the bead options was a triangular bead (rather than oval) in flourscent green (there is red and white too). I put this triangle bead on and patterned the gun yesterday and absolutely loved that bead! If you think of a triangle I basically used the tip of the top point of the triangle as my aiming point so rather than covering the head with the bead I used that very small tip to pinpoint exactly where I was aiming. I can't wait to use this in the turkey woods. Of course you still have to make sure you get your head down, which is the one major drawback of shooting with a single bead, but provided you do this bead is the BOMB!

Anyway, I was so impressed I just had to share.

-Eric

--------------------
I hope you hang one by the spur this spring!
+Quote Post
Rajun Cajun
post Mar 14 2012, 04:09 AM
Post #17

Supreme Hunter

Member No.: 1,587

KISS
Keep it sime stupid!
All you yunguns want to go go hi tech with everything
I shoot factory sight, no dots, no scopes, no excuses
I have killed every turkey I have shot at out to 45 yards
Guys, you are shooting a scatter shot gun
Not a 308 rifle
And all you guys that choke down to a 4 inch pattern at 40 yards blah blah blah
Don't complain when you miss one at 15 yards
Any turkey hunter worth his salt should be able to get one in between 30 to 40 yards
A little spread on the pattern eliminates those misses

Just think how many hundred of thousands of turkeys were taken with 2 3/4 shells from squirrel shotguns before the advent of magnum shells and turkey chokes

--------------------
No plants, trees, or animals were harmed in the transmission of this electronic file. However, quite a few electrons were inconvienienced and scattered in you general direction against their will.

www.southernoutdoorproducts.com
www.teamhammerdog.com
+Quote Post
sugarray
post Mar 19 2012, 12:45 AM
Post #18

Outdoorsman

Member No.: 18,813

QUOTE(Rajun Cajun @ Mar 13 2012, 11:09 PM) *

KISS
Keep it simPLe stupid!
All you yunguns want to go go hi tech with everything
I shoot factory sight, no dots, no scopes, no excuses
I have killed every turkey I have shot at out to 45 yards
Guys, you are shooting a scatter shot gun
Not a 308 rifle
And all you guys that choke down to a 4 inch pattern at 40 yards blah blah blah
Don't complain when you miss one at 15 yards
Any turkey hunter worth his salt should be able to get one in between 30 to 40 yards
A little spread on the pattern eliminates those misses

Just think how many hundred of thousands of turkeys were taken with 2 3/4 shells from squirrel shotguns before the advent of magnum shells and turkey chokes

While I am not on here much, and don't post a lot, this is ridiculous. Any one who wants to tip the odds in their favor, it is all up to you. And GOOD FOR YOU!!

Why wouldn't you want to shoot your shotgun like a rifle. Aiming at a specific point is just as important to put your pattern on target as it is in putting your single rifle shot on target. I don't like to bite down on pellets.

I agree with other posts in that it is up to you. If you want a scope, put one on their. I personally like red dots because they have a single aiming "bead", the red dot. The FOV through them is HUGE. I shoot a Mueller Quick Shot. Burris just improved the Fast Fire and the improvements are AWESOME. Click adjustment instead of having lock screws. Having your choice of a 3 MOA dot or an 8 MOA dot. You have to choose when you buy.

My son killed his first turkey last year when he was 6. Shooting a FF II and he shoots with ease. He wasn't keeping his head down and was always shooting high with the bead. The FF II fixed that.

So, ultimately it is your choice. Don't worry about what any of us say. Use what you are comfortable with. Get to Gander Mtn, Cabela's, Bass Pro, etc and look through as many as you can.

This post has been edited by sugarray: Mar 19 2012, 12:45 AM

--------------------
"I'll see you around, 'round my home town." Charlie Robison

Photobucket
+Quote Post
Rajun Cajun
post Mar 20 2012, 07:19 PM
Post #19

Supreme Hunter

Member No.: 1,587

Hahaha

Wondered how long it would be, after I stirred the stink pot, before anyone replied!

Everyone here that knows me, knows that I am for anything that works for them

Me? I just like that bright orange sight on the end of my Ithica

Does the job every time

Turkey guns are like bows, find what fits, what works for you, and have fun

--------------------
No plants, trees, or animals were harmed in the transmission of this electronic file. However, quite a few electrons were inconvienienced and scattered in you general direction against their will.

www.southernoutdoorproducts.com
www.teamhammerdog.com
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version       Primos Inc. © 2010 Time is now: 2nd September 2014 - 10:23 PM