> Dna Tests Could Trap Poachers
Blacktail Slayer
post Feb 16 2012, 06:27 AM
Post #1

Tracker

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,806

Groundbreaking DNA Tests Could Trap Poachers

We all know how hard it is for law enforcement to identify poachers with the crimes sometimes happening in remote areas, little physical evidence, and little human DNA left behind. The University of Strathclyde have found a method to pick up these low levels of DNA to identify the poachers. This could be a new way for law enforcement to protect our wildlife.

--------------------
Team Spot-Hogg
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
buckykm1
post Feb 16 2012, 02:32 PM
Post #2

Supreme Hunter

Group: Banned
Member No.: 9,521

QUOTE(Blacktail Slayer @ Feb 16 2012, 01:27 AM) *

Groundbreaking DNA Tests Could Trap Poachers

We all know how hard it is for law enforcement to identify poachers with the crimes sometimes happening in remote areas, little physical evidence, and little human DNA left behind. The University of Strathclyde have found a method to pick up these low levels of DNA to identify the poachers. This could be a new way for law enforcement to protect our wildlife.

YA, it could also be used to convict the wrong person. what if ?. someone comes up on a carcass, rolls it over try to figure what happened to it ?. ( which i have done many times over the years ) there DNA is on it now. someone else calls the law, who really killed the animal ?. DNA is great for some things, but i don't see it for poaching.

Kevin

--------------------
Never argue with a Idiot, They will bring you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

2010 Elknutz, Elk contest champions

Photobucket
+Quote Post
okbowman
post Feb 16 2012, 07:31 PM
Post #3

Supreme Hunter

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 2,756

Like most things concerning wildlife, I doubt the government will be willing to invest the $$ to do this......seriously, it would have to be worthy of the cost in their opinion and I don't think they care that much about poaching....and that's a shame

About the only thing they seem willing to invest in is protecting wolves.....

--------------------
Create your own banner at mybannermaker.com!

Member of '07-'08 Deer Contest Championship Team

Member of '12 Turkey Contest Championship Team

Thank God He made all those critters.

God, Family, and Hunting that's what its all about, and if you take your family to the outdoors, you can have all 3 in 1!!!!
+Quote Post
Blacktail Slayer
post Feb 16 2012, 09:42 PM
Post #4

Tracker

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,806

QUOTE(buckykm1 @ Feb 16 2012, 09:32 AM) *

YA, it could also be used to convict the wrong person. what if ?. someone comes up on a carcass, rolls it over try to figure what happened to it ?. ( which i have done many times over the years ) there DNA is on it now. someone else calls the law, who really killed the animal ?. DNA is great for some things, but i don't see it for poaching.

Kevin

They would probably then check the persons house for meat in the freezer of antlers for DNA.

There is an interesting story about a poacher and how he got busted with DNA soil. Google: "Soils, Seeds and super bucks By Brad Herndon"

--------------------
Team Spot-Hogg
+Quote Post
Todd Imiola
post Feb 17 2012, 03:01 AM
Post #5

Supreme Hunter

Group: Primos Prostaff
Member No.: 9

I like the idea. Anything to deter a poacher.

--------------------
Todd Imiola Primos Prostaff (NY)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version       Primos Inc. © 2010 Time is now: 25th October 2014 - 08:42 AM