Reply to this topicStart new topic
> When To Start Training Hard, What age to start working with your dog at an advanced hard pace
ncmountainman95
post Feb 14 2012, 04:41 AM
Post #1

Outdoorsman

Group: Members
Member No.: 82,882

I have a bluetick/black lab mix that I got a month or two ago. He is now 3 months old and I was wondering if anyone had a specific age or any general advice for making a real coonhound out of him

--------------------
Robert Spencer Irby
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
GreeneCoDeerKiller
post Feb 20 2012, 04:03 AM
Post #2

Turkey thug

Member No.: 2,714

I don't know squat about training coon hounds, but I do dabble with retrievers a good bit, and we usually start training at 6-8 weeks old with basic obedience, and basic retrieving stuff.

--------------------
Hunter

"call loud cause I can, soft cause I must, share no secerts, no one I trust, rain or shine it don't matter to me, I'm turkey thug of the 10th degree" -cuz turkey thug intro

When your in the turkey woods from sun rise to sun set, wear out a pair of boots, and 4 cushions every time you go you know you gave it all you had.

www.arrowslinger.com
+Quote Post
iceman09
post Apr 14 2012, 04:10 PM
Post #3

Tracker

Member No.: 24,969

We actually start at 5 wks old with little things.At 8 wks there is no reason why you could not start obedience. up until about 6 months old we work at the dogs pace so that we don't overwelm them with too much. Watch the dogs body language, he/she will tell you when they have had enough.

--------------------
+Quote Post
TURKEY TAMER
post Apr 28 2012, 09:51 PM
Post #4

Outdoorsman

Member No.: 55,038

Work with the dog while it is young with a lead, nothing worse than a dog that won't lead, especially at night. If your pup has never been tied or led with a leash it is easiest to start by tying the pup. Make sure the collar is tight so that the pup can not slip the collar, this is very important, you do not want the pup to get loose the first time you tie him out. If he does get loose he will always try to get loose from being tied. Also make sure that there is nothing the dog can get tangled in. Tie the pup and walk off. Then the show starts, there will an awful terrible thrashing until the pup gives up. After the pup gives up you can go out and pet it up. You could probably start with a coon hide now. Tie it on a piece of small para-cord and drag it with the pup tied up watching. Pull it up in a small tree where the pup can't get it. Then let the pup go. If it trees that is great, if it does not, no big deal you have plenty of time. It is important that if the pup does tree on it, don't let it tree more than a minute or two then reward it with the hide. Pet it up good, let it know that is what you want. Pups are like kids, they get bored easy and that is not what you want. I am no professional dog trainer, but I have had and trained a few top of line hounds. I had to bury my last walker hound about 6 months ago, I am thinking serious about starting back. People used to ask me, "Are you going hunting tonight?" my reply.... "it's gonna get dark ain't it" GOOD LUCK. Mixed breed dogs can make some of the best dogs, coon hunt, squirrel hunt, and with retriever blood, maybe even doves and ducks.

--------------------

Member of the 2012 Turkey Contest Champions
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version       Primos Inc. © 2010 Time is now: 19th December 2014 - 08:54 PM