Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New At This., what do i need?
youngblood308
post Nov 24 2011, 01:48 AM
Post #1

Outdoorsman

Group: Members
Member No.: 45,962

so im new to waterfowlin and want to get started. all i have is an automatic 12 and 20. what are some good calls to start out with? do i have to have a dog? do i HAVE to hunt over a pond. If anyone has anything they would like to see that would be useful to me, feel free to share.

------CCHN

QUOTE(youngblood308 @ Nov 23 2011, 08:47 PM) *

so im new to waterfowlin and want to get started. all i have is an automatic 12 and 20. what are some good calls to start out with? do i have to have a dog? do i HAVE to hunt over a pond. If anyone has anything they would like to sell that would be useful to me, feel free to share.

------CCHN

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
GreeneCoDeerKiller
post Nov 28 2011, 09:56 PM
Post #2

Turkey thug

Member No.: 2,714

My best advice is to find a friend or 2 that you can tag along with to show you the ropes. Basic nessecites would be a gun a box or 2 of steel shot, and a pair of waders.

--------------------
Hunter

"call loud cause I can, soft cause I must, share no secerts, no one I trust, rain or shine it don't matter to me, I'm turkey thug of the 10th degree" -cuz turkey thug intro

When your in the turkey woods from sun rise to sun set, wear out a pair of boots, and 4 cushions every time you go you know you gave it all you had.

www.arrowslinger.com
+Quote Post
bucklander
post Nov 29 2011, 02:59 AM
Post #3

Tracker

Member No.: 11,704

And LOTS of money! smile.gif

Waders, decoys, calls and lots of gas to drive around looking for pond, lakes they are sitting on. If you know someone that already hunts, ask them if you could tag along and learn. Look for public hunting ground in the area and start talking to anyone that knows waterfowl hunting and LISTEN.
What part of KY you from?
Good Luck,

James

+Quote Post
Tommy -Deadeye- Barham
post Dec 2 2011, 11:52 PM
Post #4

Hunter

Member No.: 10

Great advice so far. The Primos Wench is a great call to start with but find someone
that can mentor you on your calling before using it on a hunt.
in HIM,
Deadeye

--------------------
Tommy(Deadeye)Barham
+Quote Post
esvahunter93
post Dec 3 2011, 11:11 PM
Post #5

Outdoorsman

Member No.: 32,121

The basics are a gun, number 2 or 4 steel shot, waders, decoys, and a call to begin with. The best way to learn this sport is from experienced hunters so listen whenever you get a chance to talk to them. Macks PW and Cabelas have a lot of sales going on now so now and right after the season is a good time to buy gear. I would look into a call with an instructional dvd or a call and then buying a dvd. They can help you learn the basics and after you listen to birds you'll start to get it down. You don't have to hunt ponds, I hunt creeks and marshes and there are public lakes and stuff I'm sure that are available to hunt. Good luck with everything!

--------------------

team6banner
+Quote Post
nyturkeyduster
post Dec 10 2011, 09:18 PM
Post #6

Eat More Meat

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 2,743

Like Greene said, see if you can get in on a hunt with someone you know to learn the ropes. You'll learn what you need and what you need to do fast that way. Best of luck.

--------------------
Brenner
"Bustin' heads since 2002!"
+Quote Post
jac0b92
post Dec 14 2011, 07:09 PM
Post #7

Outdoorsman

Member No.: 24,682

i found the primos mastering the arts dvd was helful, i got that along with their honky tonk call
+Quote Post
A-Bomb
post Dec 17 2011, 08:38 PM
Post #8

Tracker

Member No.: 23,536

I guess it depends on what/where your hunting? As in ducks or geese, land or on water. Necessary gear will vary depending....But as mentioned the best way to get started is to hook up with someone already in the sport. They will shorten your learning curve significantly in regards to scouting, set up, working birds, IDing ducks on the wing, when to shoot etc etc lots to it.

But starting out its gonna be easier to get into ducks on the water. Theyre easier to find and easy to hunt. Get yourself a pair of waders and some GHG Hot buy mallards. Shoot the 12 GA, 3" #3 is deadly on ducks. I had many cheapo calls and my favorite one was the Primos Yo Sista. Used it for years before stepping it up to a high end acrylic....I run Lynch Mob's Stranglehold duck call and GK Calls Canuck short reed. These are both high end calls, and probably not what you want to start off with.

Get yourself some instructional CD or DVD's and learn the fundamentals when you begin to call. Dont skimp on the fundamentals, they are what makes your calling sound good. Take it slow and learn them that way you arent going back and correcting bad habits. Bottom line, everyone wants the end result doing the work. Fact your not gonna get it without putting in the work, aka LOTS of practice. So learn the fundamentals, practice practice practice. For me Primos had a CD that really helped my duck calling. And for short reed canada goose calling there is no substitute for Scott Threinen's Bad Grammar. Simply put, it is the authority when it comes to short reed instructional. It will take your calling to places you never imagined and make you look at waterfowl hunting in a way it should be looked at. Best $20 i ever spent! His Duck Society and Goose Society DVD's are also very informative and well worth the money.

Things to remember
1.Scout scout scout there is no substitute for good scouting
2.hunt where the birds wanna be
3.hide well, you can be in the best spot in the world, but if you have a poor hide, all other efforts will be for nothing when the birds are picking you out and flaring off before committing.
4.Calling is a tool, not the main event, meaning you dont call constantly at waterfowl. Its used to get birds attention in the distance, turn or get birds lined up on your spread. Or to just give your decoys that extra shot of realism to seal the deal.(If your in the right spot, itll take very little calling) Take your calling serious, become proficient and realistic with it, meaning learn duck and goose rythmes or cadences. That way your calling in a realistic manner the way real birds do, unlike most hunters who dont have a clue and call fast long and loud at waterfowl in an unrealistic manner. This often pushes birds off instead of letting them commit. Youll learn to read the birds and call as needed.
5. When decoy hunting set up with the wind at your back or at a 90* angle to the direction your hunting. Waterfowl land into the wind, it will give you a strait on or crossing shot at approaching waterfowl.
6. Position your decoys where you seen the birds in numbers and manners that you found birds during scouting. You dont need some set pattern to kill waterfowl. Just a realistic arrangement with a natural opening in front of you that will encourage birds to land there. I find with geese, larger the better. Puddle ducks tend to land amongst other ducks so openings can be smaller.
7.Let the birds work. More than likely theyre gonna circle around a few times. Let em work and theyll commit. By allowing them to work and commit to your spread youll have in your face shooting and more clean kills vs. crippled birds.
8.Flagging geese is a very effective tool. At times more important than calling. Learn to use it to your advantage. Can also be beneficial when layout hunting for divers.
9.Get a really good job, its gonna cost your thousands and thousands of dollars when its all said and done.
10.Have fun. Your gonna mess up. Learn from those mistakes and become a better waterfowler. Its a very fun and rewarding sport!!

This post has been edited by A-Bomb: Dec 18 2011, 03:53 PM

--------------------
Good Luck huntin'...Adam
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version       Primos Inc. © 2010 Time is now: 23rd October 2014 - 04:29 AM