Reply to this topicStart new topic
> I Seriously Need Some Mule Deer Advice Asap!
Gotta_get_em
post Nov 18 2011, 05:34 AM
Post #1

Outdoorsman

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,117

Hey all,

So right now is the extended archery hunt in Utah for both deer and elk. I usual go to a certain area to find elk but this year i have found several nice mule deer bucks in the area. I have a deer tag but i'm not too well versed in archery hunting mule deer. They are in a area that is completely wide open so i have found it very difficult to sneak in close enough to get within bow range, but I have noticed that the bucks seem to be distracted with the the rut. How long does the mule deer rut last for. I know it's in november but could someone tell me around when it starts and stops. I just want to know for how long i have the bucks distracted. So I was thinking about buying a blind and putting it in an area where i've seen the bucks walk by, but i've never hunted with a blind before, nor have i ever hunted in such wide open country before. Can i put a blind in the open or will the bucks be spooked by it? It's very windy and i'm not sure if the bucks will be able to smell me because i have to put the blind down wind of where the bucks bed down. I'm also not sure how to get the blind set up cuz i'd be putting it near their bedding area and i don't want to spook them in the process. Really any advice on the situation would be helpful on how i can successfully take one of these bucks. Any tips would be appreciated. I just don't know much about how bucks act during the rut and i don't know how to get them in such open country and i've never hunted with a blind.

--------------------
Gotta Get Em

"It's time to NUT UP or SHUT UP!"
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Sp3Ak-Th3-LaNgUaG3
post Nov 18 2011, 06:26 AM
Post #2

Spike Killer!

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 6,346

#1- I honestly don't know when the mule deer rut starts and stops. I would say anytime until december you would have a good chance. even after that it sounds like they might be in some wintering grounds so they won't go far. How long is the season!?

#2- Have you ever hunted antelope before? There's no way it's completely wide open and flat. There's got to be some way you can sneak up a draw or through some bushes. Keep the wind in your favor and sneak in there would be my best bet. Don't rush it and blow them out, but when they get to a spot where the wind is right and when they're in a stalkable location you have to make the best of it.

Maybe stalking behind a montana decoy or a "Be The Decoy" would work too....but I don't think Be The Decoy's deer line is up yet.....Branden!????

--------------------
Trent Williams
WYO!!!
2009 ELK CONTEST CHAMPIONS!
2011-2012 DEER CONTEST CHAMPIONS!

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
+Quote Post
187Elk
post Nov 19 2011, 04:19 AM
Post #3

Supreme Hunter

Member No.: 1,229

No it is not..but you can buy an antelope decoy and try it or convert it..it works great on mule deer..

Back to your Q....
You have a few weeks...but like Trent said...if you learn to plan your stalk there is nothing that is not doable...difficult, yes, impossible no..
A slight role in the land is your best friend..you may need knee pads and have to crawl a mile...but if you want them bad enough...there is away...

--------------------
Photobucket

2008 team BABB Elk champions
2009 team Elknutz Elk Champions
2010...That is right Champions
2011...Yeah, again! Champions

Go Cats!!!!
->>>---------------->
Br@nden V

www.bethedecoy.com
www.realitybowhuntingtv.com
www.arrowslinger.com
camospace.com/brandenbowhunter
+Quote Post
buckykm1
post Nov 20 2011, 04:20 PM
Post #4

Supreme Hunter

Group: Banned
Member No.: 9,521

I don't hunt Muleys a lot, with the limited amount of time i get to spend out west, i spend my time hunting Elk. BUT, with the few times that i have hunted Muleys, they seem pretty easy to sneak up on, use the contour of the land and the wind to your favor, use ever clump of grass, sage or what ever there is to your advantage, you may be on your hands and knees or even on your belly to get there, but it can be done, just take your time.

as the others have said, if there is a will there is a way.

Kevin

--------------------
Never argue with a Idiot, They will bring you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

2010 Elknutz, Elk contest champions

Photobucket
+Quote Post
187Elk
post Nov 21 2011, 02:35 AM
Post #5

Supreme Hunter

Member No.: 1,229

Take your time on the stalks...spend time behind the glass and put them to bed...they will be on their feet most of the rut...but you may get lucky!

--------------------
Photobucket

2008 team BABB Elk champions
2009 team Elknutz Elk Champions
2010...That is right Champions
2011...Yeah, again! Champions

Go Cats!!!!
->>>---------------->
Br@nden V

www.bethedecoy.com
www.realitybowhuntingtv.com
www.arrowslinger.com
camospace.com/brandenbowhunter
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version       Primos Inc. © 2010 Time is now: 27th August 2014 - 04:04 PM