Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Past Few Weeks
Sp3Ak-Th3-LaNgUaG3
post Nov 14 2011, 10:23 PM
Post #1

Spike Killer!

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 6,346

Haven't been out a ton the past couple of weeks with school and a new job. I also bought an additional cow elk tag so the few days I have had off I went and looked for elk...no luck yet as there's still not much snow in the high country and they have been pushed into some nasty holes. Anyway, I saw and shot my first wood duck a few weeks ago. We had a big snow storm on the eastern side of the state (which is in the central flyway) and I think it kicked this guy over. I also saw a few groups of pintails one day and I have only seen one flock of those before in my life.

As you guys know I just jump shoot waterfowl for the most part so when I spotted this duck I couldn't really tell what it was until I jumped it up and shot it. Even then I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me until Rucker brought it back. A once in a lifetime occurrence for the Pacific flyway.

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l210/POk...dduckground.jpg
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l210/POk...odduckfence.jpg
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l210/POk...odDuckclose.jpg

I also went out with some of my buddies and was able to find a few flocks of ducks as well as a flock with a bunch of swans and ducks mixed in. The just kept telling them, DON'T SHOOT THE SWANS!...as this was the first time one of the guys had ever waterfowl hunted. Well me made the sneak and when everything flew, one single goose flew up that I hadn't previously seen. I put an end to him and Rucker went and got him! His first retrieved goose. I was also able to knock down two other Drake mallards and my buddies got one a piece themselves.

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l210/POk...ker1stgoose.jpg

I went out today as my dad is on Graves and I don't have any classes or work to do until 5:00 this evening. I was able to knock down one goose that Rucker went and got without missing a beat.

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l210/POk...ker2ndgoose.jpg
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l210/POk...er2ndgoose1.jpg

--------------------
Trent Williams
WYO!!!
2009 ELK CONTEST CHAMPIONS!
2011-2012 DEER CONTEST CHAMPIONS!

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
darktimber
post Nov 15 2011, 12:37 AM
Post #2

Hunter

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,175

Nice job Trent. Yeah, a woody is rare for sure. We have only killed a couple in many years. I wish you would send some of those ducks south! Pretty slow here still. Starting to get some widgeon and a few migrating mallards. Keep pushing 'em south! Good luck and God bless.

--------------------
For its in these mountains that I long to be, Where I can hear God whisper down the creek and through the trees; Just one sunset and I know you'd think the same; Watch your worries fade 'neath a rocky mountain rain.

http://www.graylightproductions.com/index.php (Check it Out!!)

photo Primosdeerbanner2013_zpsa617d8b9.jpg

Photobucket
+Quote Post
buckykm1
post Nov 15 2011, 12:44 AM
Post #3

Supreme Hunter

Group: Banned
Member No.: 9,521

Sounds like fun. it is nice to hear that your pup is coming around.

Kevin

--------------------
Never argue with a Idiot, They will bring you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

2010 Elknutz, Elk contest champions

Photobucket
+Quote Post
Sp3Ak-Th3-LaNgUaG3
post Nov 15 2011, 06:12 AM
Post #4

Spike Killer!

darktimber, I only saw 2 ducks today and over 100 geese if I were to guess. A few weeks ago those numbers were flip flopped. I'd see maybe one group of geese, and a multiple flocks of ducks. When I start seeing the goldeneyes I will let you know. That should mean the mallards are there!

Thanks Kevin, the last few times he has made me happy by getting the geese. I'm about to start killing ducks like I did last year and only hunting geese lol. Was tough to stop shooting ducks since I wanted to get Rucker some work but now that he's been getting the geese I'm ready for the switch!

--------------------
Trent Williams
WYO!!!

+Quote Post
darktimber
post Nov 17 2011, 02:04 AM
Post #5

Hunter

Member No.: 18,175

They showed up today!! About 300 greenheads at the lake today. biggrin.gif Built my blind this evening and am heading out in the morning. Good luck and God bless. smile.gif

--------------------
For its in these mountains that I long to be, Where I can hear God whisper down the creek and through the trees; Just one sunset and I know you'd think the same; Watch your worries fade 'neath a rocky mountain rain.

http://www.graylightproductions.com/index.php (Check it Out!!)

photo Primosdeerbanner2013_zpsa617d8b9.jpg

Photobucket
+Quote Post
GreeneCoDeerKiller
post Nov 17 2011, 04:29 AM
Post #6

Turkey thug

Member No.: 2,714

Congrats man, if you wnat to kill some Woodies I can put you on all that you can shoot down here man.

Glad to hear that Rucker is doing good, nothing better than watching a well trained retriever do his thing.

--------------------
Hunter

"call loud cause I can, soft cause I must, share no secerts, no one I trust, rain or shine it don't matter to me, I'm turkey thug of the 10th degree" -cuz turkey thug intro

When your in the turkey woods from sun rise to sun set, wear out a pair of boots, and 4 cushions every time you go you know you gave it all you had.

www.arrowslinger.com
+Quote Post
Sp3Ak-Th3-LaNgUaG3
post Nov 17 2011, 05:46 AM
Post #7

Spike Killer!

QUOTE(darktimber @ Nov 16 2011, 09:04 PM) *

They showed up today!! About 300 greenheads at the lake today. biggrin.gif Built my blind this evening and am heading out in the morning. Good luck and God bless. smile.gif

you're welcome wink.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Yea Greene, it's been fun. it finally just clicked. Today and yesterday he got his butt beat by those flapping wings....he let go both times but still brought it to me. He knows he can do it and it's a lot easier for him to see those big geese hit the water! He's right on 'em every time!

--------------------
Trent Williams
WYO!!!

+Quote Post
GreeneCoDeerKiller
post Nov 20 2011, 06:04 PM
Post #8

Turkey thug

Member No.: 2,714

Good deal man, it only gets better with time.

--------------------
Hunter

"call loud cause I can, soft cause I must, share no secerts, no one I trust, rain or shine it don't matter to me, I'm turkey thug of the 10th degree" -cuz turkey thug intro

When your in the turkey woods from sun rise to sun set, wear out a pair of boots, and 4 cushions every time you go you know you gave it all you had.

www.arrowslinger.com
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version       Primos Inc. © 2010 Time is now: 25th November 2014 - 12:21 AM