Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Favorite Shotgun
nyturkeyduster
post Dec 30 2011, 08:27 PM
Post #21

Eat More Meat

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 2,743

I'm a firm believer that speed kills, I like to shoot a fairly open choke for ducks like a modified of improved cylinder and shoot a full for geese. Most of the new loads in the market today are too rich for my blood, I tend to stick to Winchester Xpert BB and #2s and am very pleased with how they perform.

--------------------
Brenner
"Bustin' heads since 2002!"
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
GreeneCoDeerKiller
post Jan 1 2012, 05:16 PM
Post #22

Turkey thug

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,714

Not to be critical or anything, but whats the point of killing birds at 80 yrds, or 65+ for that matter? Is it because you waterfowl hunt for the sole purpose of killing birds? Cause if that is the case my friends yall are missing out on what 90% of the game is all about IMHO.

--------------------
Hunter

"call loud cause I can, soft cause I must, share no secerts, no one I trust, rain or shine it don't matter to me, I'm turkey thug of the 10th degree" -cuz turkey thug intro

When your in the turkey woods from sun rise to sun set, wear out a pair of boots, and 4 cushions every time you go you know you gave it all you had.

www.arrowslinger.com
+Quote Post
nyturkeyduster
post Jan 1 2012, 06:41 PM
Post #23

Eat More Meat

Member No.: 2,743

Its not the case, I waterfowl hunt to kill birds that are finishing into a decoy spread. Most of these long range shots are my 3rd shot. If you've ever hunted snow geese, you'll get use to shooting long ranges rather quickly.

--------------------
Brenner
"Bustin' heads since 2002!"
+Quote Post
peter/pmr
post Jan 8 2012, 07:49 PM
Post #24

Trophy Hunter

Member No.: 16,851

QUOTE(nyturkeyduster @ Jan 1 2012, 01:41 PM) *

Its not the case, I waterfowl hunt to kill birds that are finishing into a decoy spread. Most of these long range shots are my 3rd shot. If you've ever hunted snow geese, you'll get use to shooting long ranges rather quickly.

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm257/p...zpscdd86cac.jpg

SBEII is my choice,I have heard alot of complaints from my friends with versamax and vinci's! Any pump is going to be the most reliable choice,however it may be harder to get on target and get off 3 shots on decoying birds,than guys with auto's!

I am with nyturkeyduster on this one,call it what you like but when you have snows coming in and the shooting starts ,they can scoot out to 65-70 yards quick fast and in a hurry,but on the out going birds sometimes there is that golden pellet that finds its mark,and that is the 70-80 yard kill! But no matter what the yardage is you still gotta try!

This post has been edited by peter/pmr: Feb 9 2013, 06:22 PM

--------------------
2013 Totals

Canada Geese 157
Mallards 54
Woodies 28
Teal 24
widgeon 9
Blacks 12
Goldeneyes 56
Buffleheads 31
Bluebills 5
snows 129
Bands 3

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.
+Quote Post
Sp3Ak-Th3-LaNgUaG3
post Jan 12 2012, 11:18 PM
Post #25

Spike Killer!

Member No.: 6,346

I take longer then average shots all the time because of being poor and not great areas to decoy around here...jump shooting is funner to me. I've spent probably 7 days decoying and I think I've seen 3 ducks killed in those 7 days.

T shot will do wonders if you hit 'em in the head or break that wing. I've shot (at) plenty of geese where all I hear is the "BRRRRRDDDDD" of the pellets hitting the bird as they keep on truckin'.

--------------------
Trent Williams
WYO!!!
2009 ELK CONTEST CHAMPIONS!
2011-2012 DEER CONTEST CHAMPIONS!

+Quote Post
Oregon Turkey Hunter
post Jan 30 2012, 03:40 AM
Post #26

Archery Nut

Member No.: 16,798

Trent come here next winter and we will show you some fast flying dip diving decoying birds smile.gif

BTW more fun* not funner

LOL sorry had to

--------------------
Jared

-The hardest things in life come with the most rewards.

-Freedom isn't free.

www.bethedecoy.com
BeTheDecoy Prostaff
*** Hunting Prostaff
http://www.facebook.com/***-Hunting
+Quote Post
Dave7RUM
post Feb 9 2013, 03:27 AM
Post #27

Outdoorsman

Member No.: 106,939

My Favorite Shotguns to take are the same and they are a Remington 870 Special Purpose and a Single Shot 10 . I haven't had anything get past those two . They have alot of Great Semi Auto's and if I were going that route I'd go with a Remington Versa Max .
+Quote Post
peter/pmr
post Apr 8 2013, 01:21 PM
Post #28

Trophy Hunter

Member No.: 16,851

I just had a chance to buy a brand new versa Max for 800.00 and passed on it! A friend of mine was sent the shotgun to try out on a hunt he went on last year,when the hunt was over he asked me if I wanted it and that Remington told him he could keep it return it or sell it for no less than 800.00! I passed because of the issues I have heard from friends that own them! But I have also been told that Remington has addressed those issues and made improvements on the shotgun,but I figured why take the chance!

--------------------
2013 Totals

Canada Geese 157
Mallards 54
Woodies 28
Teal 24
widgeon 9
Blacks 12
Goldeneyes 56
Buffleheads 31
Bluebills 5
snows 129
Bands 3

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.
+Quote Post
mejeremyb
post Apr 14 2013, 09:04 AM
Post #29

Tracker

Member No.: 6,676

I shoot a SBEII and love it!!!! 80 yds is quite the poke and IMO a waste of a high dollar shell. I'm not saying you haven't killed birds that far because I wasn't there to see it but if it's true then it hasn't been many times. As stated in a pryor post though... Sometimes you just gotta try. I guess if you have pellets in the air then you have a chance. LOL Also... I don't see how pumping makes a shotgun more accurate either??? That just doesn't make sense to me at all. Especially for follow up shots. The only thing that you can try to justify that comment with is that you take more time aiming because you know you can't follow up shoot as quickly. That doesn't mean the pump is more accurate though. That just means you don't rush your shots. You can shoot an auto without rushing your shots too. That's shooter ability not shotgun accuracy.

--------------------

Jeremy Bailey
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version       Primos Inc. © 2010 Time is now: 19th December 2014 - 03:53 AM