Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Mule Deer Unit 37
alangedde
post Aug 31 2011, 07:27 PM
Post #1

Outdoorsman

Group: Members
Member No.: 34,278

I drew a rifle tag for unit 37 in New Mexico, I have bow hunted elk there before, but never had much luck getting away from the hunters on rifle hunts. Any ideas where a guy could go to find some big bucks, and not alot of hunters?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
NMHUNTER1988
post Sep 3 2011, 06:32 AM
Post #2

Outdoorsman

Member No.: 32,183

there is alot of tags for the rifle hunts 600 i believe. try the west end near white oaks and even the flats north of there. you might even want to try and get back into the wilderness area in the capitans. no motorized travel allowed, so you should get away from alot of the roadhunters. i have hunted the unit many times the last 10 years, and the biggest buck i have taken goes about 145. i have seen some giants in there as well, but its rough country and hard to get into range on the bigger bucks. let me know if you got any questions
+Quote Post
alangedde
post Sep 19 2011, 10:50 PM
Post #3

Outdoorsman

Member No.: 34,278

QUOTE(NMHUNTER1988 @ Sep 3 2011, 02:32 AM) *

there is alot of tags for the rifle hunts 600 i believe. try the west end near white oaks and even the flats north of there. you might even want to try and get back into the wilderness area in the capitans. no motorized travel allowed, so you should get away from alot of the roadhunters. i have hunted the unit many times the last 10 years, and the biggest buck i have taken goes about 145. i have seen some giants in there as well, but its rough country and hard to get into range on the bigger bucks. let me know if you got any questions

Have you ever hunted the wilderness area, I have driven up there, but never hunted it. I have heard that the white oaks area has been hit pretty hard with cougar. Ultimately i want to get away from the hunters, so I was thinking about the wilderness area.
+Quote Post
NMHUNTER1988
post Sep 22 2011, 12:10 AM
Post #4

Outdoorsman

Member No.: 32,183

most of the hunters will be on the north end around boyscout and copeland canyon. and also around baca camp area. there will be some in the wilderness area but most dont do to much walking. my cousin shot a big buck up there 2 years ago with the muzzleoader. i have never hunted up there. i used to hunt around arabela until everything got land locked. couple of my buddy had good luck hunting the armstrong ranch last year. white oaks produces some big bucks some years i have seen a 32" buck that came out of there.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version       Primos Inc. © 2010 Time is now: 21st December 2014 - 11:58 AM