Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Killing Birds On The Water?
GreeneCoDeerKiller
post Mar 4 2012, 08:22 PM
Post #41

Turkey thug

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,714

I promise you I have a way less problem with people that water swat birds, as apposed to those that sky bust on the tree tops. I know for me these days its not about the number I hang on the strap, but how many I tricked, now they don't have to land to be tricked, but there feet do need to be out.

--------------------
Hunter

"call loud cause I can, soft cause I must, share no secerts, no one I trust, rain or shine it don't matter to me, I'm turkey thug of the 10th degree" -cuz turkey thug intro

When your in the turkey woods from sun rise to sun set, wear out a pair of boots, and 4 cushions every time you go you know you gave it all you had.

www.arrowslinger.com
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
peter/pmr
post Apr 4 2012, 02:39 PM
Post #42

Trophy Hunter

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,851

When you decoy ducks/geese,and they come in the way you wanted them too,into that sweet spot/kill zone,then you will have open vitals just before they land,heads up wings back and feet out,nothing but vitals exposed,however that is where you destroy the best part of the hunt,the meat! Because all your pellets are going into the breast! I like a tail shot as they are leaving my set-up,that opens the lower vitals and protects the meat from pellet damage! I want to be able to eat what I shoot. It is no fun picking shot and feather balls out of meat,or cooking meat with that still in there! Sort of ruins the fun of the hunt,but we all have one or two that always ends up that way!

It is harder to kill a bird in the water/on the ground, because of the amount of protected vitals being below the surface or down toward the ground,and protected by folded wings and feathers,head shots are basically the hardest shot to make on a sitting bird at 30 or 40 yards,but flying they have the maximum exposed suface of thier body,and make for a larger target,therefore easier to hit, and in my opinion less cripples if shot in the air! But it does not make it right or wrong shooting them in the air or on the ground/water, it is hunting,and it means killing as effectively as you can,and getting the most out of the kill! However you choose to do that within the laws of where you are hunting,then that is fine with me!

I remember as a young boy in New England going down to the bay and watching guys shoot ducks on the water with .22 rifles,and,they would shoot 30- 40 ducks a day!That was in the 60's and they would always leave a pile of ducks on the shore when there was 5 or 6 of them shooting the ducks! If you look at how the market hunters use too shoot ducks you would be amazed at the weaponry,basically huge cannon like shotguns,that were able to kill 20-30 ducks in one shot! And it was shots taken when the birds were on the water! That was when the cannons were most effective!

This post has been edited by peter/pmr: Apr 4 2012, 02:50 PM

--------------------
2013 Totals

Canada Geese 157
Mallards 54
Woodies 28
Teal 24
widgeon 9
Blacks 12
Goldeneyes 56
Buffleheads 31
Bluebills 5
snows 129
Bands 3

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

5 Pages V « < 3 4 5
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version       Primos Inc. © 2010 Time is now: 30th September 2014 - 05:51 PM