Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How Do You Prevent A Dog From Chasing Deer?
Maineboy30
post May 16 2011, 11:41 AM
Post #1

Outdoorsman

Group: Members
Member No.: 56,066

Where I live we have a lot of deer trails, but I don't know how to make sure my dog doesn't chase the deer instead of what it is supposed to be chasing.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
iceman09
post May 16 2011, 01:49 PM
Post #2

Tracker

Member No.: 24,969

turn the e-collar up, only takes a couple times.

--------------------
+Quote Post
turkey master 911
post May 17 2011, 01:39 PM
Post #3

Tracker

Member No.: 15,526

We used tO keep a goat in the pen with our beagles. They are kinda rough on the dog food though.

--------------------
2010 & 2011 Back To Back Primos Spring Turkey Contest Champions Team Dirt Nap
BannerFans.com
+Quote Post
GreeneCoDeerKiller
post May 17 2011, 03:36 PM
Post #4

Turkey thug

Member No.: 2,714

E collar is one way, this is an area of dog training I don't know much about, but I would think that it would work.

--------------------
Hunter

"call loud cause I can, soft cause I must, share no secerts, no one I trust, rain or shine it don't matter to me, I'm turkey thug of the 10th degree" -cuz turkey thug intro

When your in the turkey woods from sun rise to sun set, wear out a pair of boots, and 4 cushions every time you go you know you gave it all you had.

www.arrowslinger.com
+Quote Post
Elk_Archer_0320
post May 17 2011, 04:55 PM
Post #5

Outdoorsman

Member No.: 53,270

Take him for walks if you can. If you come across a deer or even scat from a deer, firmly and sharply yell NO! Scare your dog a bit with it. I had to teach my dog not to chase rabbit, prarie dogs and deer. Best way was when he was a puppy and seen something run his head would perk at attention and I'd yell NO before anything happened. Now he perks his head..sees its nothing he's hunting and continues looking for birds.
+Quote Post
iceman09
post May 18 2011, 03:38 PM
Post #6

Tracker

Member No.: 24,969

sorry I didn't have alot of time to explain fully then.Out in the field as pups, when they first see deer, I tell them very sturnly-NO several times and throw a whoa in there for good measure. As I am saying no, I am reaching for the remote and turning it up all the way. By no means do I like to use the collar ,ever. In the same breath they do wear them each and everytime we leave the yard. Just because they are on does not mean I use them to correct them. It is only a last resort. o.k. so the the verbal did not work. I will knick them once and say nothing. If for some reason none of that has worked I will let them have it,never saying another word. I want them to think the deer or rabbit did it to them, not me. once or twice is all it takes. I had a 150 inch deer at less than 50 yards stand up and the pup ignored it, even as it ran off. Me on the other hand, I wanted to chase it, I guess I needed a collar on that day.lol. good luck. P.S. anytime we are doing training we get the collars out so that the dogs associate them with having fun. Our dogs start jumping around and get excited when I pull them out of the cupboard. I have seen other dogs cowl in a corner when they see theirs. Over use is a bad thing. JMHO

--------------------
+Quote Post
wyobirddog
post May 18 2011, 06:42 PM
Post #7

Tracker

Member No.: 34,276

Ditto Iceman09.

E collar reinforcement worked with my two pups. They both ignore, or just watch deer that we jump now. And just like above, my dogs go nuts everytime I get within a foot or two of their collars. If you use em correctly, they will work wonders with your dogs.

--------------------
"If the Spirit leads, pull the trigger."
-Ted Nugent
2013 Rifle Elk Contest Champion
+Quote Post
GO BUCKS
post Oct 16 2011, 03:46 AM
Post #8

BIG Hunter

Member No.: 624

I seem to be lucky in the first time my pup seen deer he just stood there looking at them and i told him NO and he walked to my side where we watched the deer run off.

--------------------
BEAT mICHIGAN
GO BROWNS, they suck, i've given up hope
women are confusing but fine
+Quote Post
ncmountainman95
post Feb 14 2012, 04:37 AM
Post #9

Outdoorsman

Member No.: 82,882

Put him in a fifty gallon barrel with a deer hide and roll him down a hill. He will never want to see or smell a deer again, might have PETA on you though haha. Some old timers told me this but. I personally would not try it haha blink.gif

--------------------
Robert Spencer Irby
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version       Primos Inc. © 2010 Time is now: 25th November 2014 - 12:16 AM