Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cottontail Vs Jackrabbit. Whats The Difference?
12thman
post Dec 16 2010, 02:56 PM
Post #1

Outdoorsman

Group: Members
Member No.: 45,500

So I have done a little Predator hunting here and there, but I have never been able to understand the difference in the Cottontail and Jackrabbit distress calls. I understand the difference in animal and sound, but what I don't understand is when to use each one compared to the other. Anyone out there wanna help me understand? I'll hang up and listen.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
okbowman
post Dec 16 2010, 04:22 PM
Post #2

Supreme Hunter

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 2,756

Well, for one, jackrabbits don't live everywhere. To be believable you should use a jackrabbit distress call in places where jackrabbits live. Predators might respond to any call at any time but it helps to give them something from their environment. That's my take. Thanks for calling.

--------------------
Create your own banner at mybannermaker.com!

Member of '07-'08 Deer Contest Championship Team

Member of '12 Turkey Contest Championship Team

Thank God He made all those critters.

God, Family, and Hunting that's what its all about, and if you take your family to the outdoors, you can have all 3 in 1!!!!
+Quote Post
buckykm1
post Dec 17 2010, 02:54 AM
Post #3

Supreme Hunter

Group: Banned
Member No.: 9,521

QUOTE(okbowman @ Dec 16 2010, 11:22 AM) *

Well, for one, jackrabbits don't live everywhere. To be believable you should use a jackrabbit distress call in places where jackrabbits live. Predators might respond to any call at any time but it helps to give them something from their environment. That's my take. Thanks for calling.

DITTO

Kevin

--------------------
Never argue with a Idiot, They will bring you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

2010 Elknutz, Elk contest champions

Photobucket
+Quote Post
jcELK
post Dec 18 2010, 04:13 PM
Post #4

Spot&Stalk

Member No.: 11,961

I use both sounds a lot. I call a lot of yotes in with jackrabbit distress, and there ain't a jackrabbit within 500 miles of me. I've called bobcats and foxes in with the jackrabbit too. Like I said I'm a fan of both sounds. It gives you another sound to add to your bag of tricks. I about always use the jackrabbit on windy days. It seems to carry a little better. I know these yotes, bobcats, and foxes around hear have never ate a jackrabbit or heard one dying but they sure will come a runnin when they hear it.

--------------------
Member of '12 Turkey Contest Championship Team

photo TeamBanner_zps1687c81a.jpg
+Quote Post
mejeremyb
post Dec 19 2010, 02:55 AM
Post #5

Tracker

Member No.: 6,676

I agree with jcELK. We don't have jacks in southeast Missouri either but the yotes still come runnin. A yote don't care what it eats as long as it just gets to eat!!! The sound of a dyin critter is a dinner bell. I've found that the more pittiful you sound... the more critters you'll call in. I just try to mix my calls up. If I use one at one setup then the next time I go call that area then I use something else.

--------------------

Jeremy Bailey
+Quote Post
the hunter
post Dec 19 2010, 10:09 PM
Post #6

Outdoorsman

Member No.: 26,505

Well, here in uah we have an abundance of BOTH, but more jacks than cotton! So I for one use either one, Both do the job well. I think even though ya aint got no jacks, a Dogs instincts kick in and will come to either one! So a big DITTO on using both! tongue.gif

--------------------
The greatest sound God Bestowed upon Mankind;
The Laughter of A Child!

I may not be perfect, but my dog likes me
+Quote Post
letsgohuntn
post Dec 23 2010, 10:31 PM
Post #7

>>--BOWHUNTER--->

Member No.: 3,433

Cottontails have more of a high pitched distress sound. Jackrabbits are more raspy and deeper. I have called them in with both, but call in more with jackrabbit sounds. I always start off with jackrabbit. And if nothing shows, I switch to a cottontail sound to see if that will shake them.

--------------------
Some people find there closest to God in the Cathedral of the pines....

Kinetic Energy Outdoors

See us at http://www.facebook.com/pages/Kinetic-Ener...467912609945021

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version       Primos Inc. © 2010 Time is now: 21st December 2014 - 05:13 PM