Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Hunting Thickets
turkinator
post Aug 30 2010, 04:46 AM
Post #1

Outdoorsman

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,923

Every year I get big bucks on my cameras, yet every season ends without me getting any of them. Some of my "succesfull" buddies tell me "thickets, thickets, thickets".

My question for all of you thicket hunters is do you try to find trails thru the thickets or just pick a spot in the thickest part you can find and climb.

Also, how many of you have killed big ones that were not on a trail? Fields dont count

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
huntina150
post Aug 30 2010, 10:38 AM
Post #2

Tracker

Member No.: 25,634

what i do is hunt a staging area off of a main field or fields, and sometimes a buck will move up to stage and browse in this smaller area before moving on to the main feeding area.

--------------------
Is it bow season yet?
+Quote Post
FFdeerhunter72
post Aug 30 2010, 12:22 PM
Post #3

Wood Ninja

Member No.: 12,706

I can honestly say the best way to hunt thickets is find the line of the thickets North, South, East, West. Follow that line back & forth on each side. You'll eventually find the "front door" "side doors" & "back door" Plant your stand or climber 15 yard down wind of that door. this is assuming the conditions are right. don't try to go into that home u won't be able to hunt **** in there. besides you may push them out.

--------------------
team6banner

"Courage is the resistance to fear, the mastery of fear, not the lack of fear" Mark Twain
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Delaware-Hunting/134947202097

+Quote Post
buckykm1
post Aug 30 2010, 12:25 PM
Post #4

Supreme Hunter

Group: Banned
Member No.: 9,521

For big Bucks, i like to hunt the thickest nastiest stuff i can find, or trails leading to it. they know where they are safe.

Kevin

--------------------
Never argue with a Idiot, They will bring you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

2010 Elknutz, Elk contest champions

Photobucket
+Quote Post
nyturkeyduster
post Aug 30 2010, 02:04 PM
Post #5

Eat More Meat

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 2,743

I had most of my luck hunting the trails leading to thickets. I never actaully go into the thickets because I don't want to push the deer out. When you are close to the bedding areas, you can see movement all day, especially during the rut when the bucks are cruising bedding areas and checking every doe in the area.

--------------------
Brenner
"Bustin' heads since 2002!"
Create your own banner at mybannermaker.com!

2012-13 Primos Deer Contest Champions Hardwood Heart Stoppers
+Quote Post
deerlover
post Aug 30 2010, 03:22 PM
Post #6

Supreme Hunter

Member No.: 1,879

Thickets are primary sources for two things for deer....1 being cover and the other, well cover (and a great place to take the ladies out for on "date night").

If you hunt thickets, you have to be careful not to hunt too close or blow your wind into them.

The best thing to do on your property is create thickets, then LEAVE THEM ALONE and call them sanctuaries. Swear to yourself to NEVER enter them other than to recover an animal and never blow your scent into them.

I am a true believer in sanctuaries but rememeber, they take time to establish. It is a learned behavior for deer. The older mature deer already have their sanctuaries, but those yearlings, 2 1/2 and 3 year olds most likely don't. So give those yearlings a couple years of knowing that safe zone and next thing you know, it will become your big buck sanctuary!

Now you just have to find the right time to hunt them and learn the way they enter and exit them. You can manipulate that with falling trees in the right locations to lead them past your stand sites.

I honestly think if people paid as much attention and put as much focus on sanctuaries as they have food in the past 5+ years, it would make a more impactful addition to your farm!

--------------------
God's Front Porch! What a view!

You'll never know unless you let them grow!
+Quote Post
cooperbend kid88
post Aug 30 2010, 05:30 PM
Post #7

Outdoorsman

Member No.: 26,969

Ive got a spot where a big cedar thicket on a ridge dumps down into a small opening in the timber then tightens bk down into another thicket where theres a secluded pond and i tell u ive had more great encounters in that place than i can name.. My dad has killed several nice deer in there with a rifle but i jus bow hunt and i have been turned every which way but out from bucks chasin does... I have killed my two biggest deer on top of that ridge tho there is a small switch grass field that is red hot with scrapes every year and i have a stand placed jus inside the timber to catch them before the drop off the ridge in the tight stuff.
+Quote Post
fulldraw6
post Aug 31 2010, 10:09 AM
Post #8

Outdoorsman

Member No.: 19,418

good advice, dont hunt in it find the trails to and from than hunt downwind of the trail, shot my big 10 point coming out of the thicket

--------------------
" Live life at fulldraw!!"
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version       Primos Inc. © 2010 Time is now: 18th April 2014 - 01:00 AM