2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Electronic Deer Feeder?, After a week and NO deer on cam??
biggyind
post Aug 8 2010, 09:35 PM
Post #1

Outdoorsman

Group: Members
Member No.: 327

Ok IM not sure how long it takes the deer to come to the feeders and eat? but after a week we had nothing on the trail cam.. The trailcam and the feeder seem to be working fine. So how long do you guys think it will take the deer before they start coming to the feeder.. We have it on a 1 acre mowed down lot in the back of a corn field, following a tree line into the woods.. IM stumped sad.gif

--------------------
Thank god everyday for what he gives you. Keep god, family, and friends close, because you always need them!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
buckykm1
post Aug 8 2010, 10:15 PM
Post #2

Supreme Hunter

Group: Banned
Member No.: 9,521

That does seem strange, we can't use them in MI anymore, but when i did it only took 1 or 2 days and they were on it every morning and evening.

Kevin

--------------------
Never argue with a Idiot, They will bring you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

2010 Elknutz, Elk contest champions

Photobucket
+Quote Post
Steve Peperis
post Aug 8 2010, 11:36 PM
Post #3

Tracker

Group: Primos Prostaff
Member No.: 427

That does seem very strange, just maybe the deer in the area are in another place right now. When they do come into that area, have something scented there to help them find the corn quicker, ie acorn Rage with apple scent, or the acorn rage with the acorns in a lick or just something that gives off a powerful smell like even apples. If you do dump a bushel of apples, break open a few and rub a few down the bark of some trees. They will find it for sure then and then your camera should be taking pictures like crazy. Always has worked for me.
Good luck, Steve
+Quote Post
Bring 'em In
post Aug 9 2010, 01:01 AM
Post #4

Thread JACKER

Member No.: 16,409

That seems a little similar to something that happened to me this year. I dumped two milk crates of pears and I had to get my only cam four days later to put it on another farm. Well there wasn't a pear gone and not a single deer pic. I came back about ten days later to put up another stand and in the spot i left with pears on top of grass/weeds was now a circle with about a five foot radius with absolutely no vegetation in it and tons of tracks of bucks does and fawns. I put corn out that day and that was about 10 days ago and in a few days I'm going to dump more pears. I wish I could put a cam up but today I got permission on a third farm so I want to see what's on this farm. Well anyway I would just say to stay patient and see what happens. If there are deer in the area they will find it. There is just not as big of a stress on finding food this time of year

--------------------
team8

Genesis 27:3-4
+Quote Post
primos hunter
post Aug 9 2010, 02:06 AM
Post #5

Tracker

Member No.: 24,412

QUOTE(Steve Peperis @ Aug 8 2010, 06:36 PM) *

That does seem very strange, just maybe the deer in the area are in another place right now. When they do come into that area, have something scented there to help them find the corn quicker, ie acorn Rage with apple scent, or the acorn rage with the acorns in a lick or just something that gives off a powerful smell like even apples. If you do dump a bushel of apples, break open a few and rub a few down the bark of some trees. They will find it for sure then and then your camera should be taking pictures like crazy. Always has worked for me.
Good luck, Steve

I have also had a problem with the deer moving into another area. Thats what has hapened to places that i hunted for hogs they seem to have a pattern of moving into different places. Where I hunt if you change something it takes a little while for the deer to get use to but then in a couple of days there is fresh tracks again.

--------------------
Guns Don't Kill People, Drivers On Cell Phones Kill People!
+Quote Post
Catfishturkeyhunter
post Aug 9 2010, 12:17 PM
Post #6

Supreme Hunter

Member No.: 9,614

I have a simialr problem right now, and after talking with a close friend I believe its the heat more than anything. We are going into our second straight week with 100+ temps and I think that has the deer layed up in the shade on the edge of a bean field or corn field. I have 3 cameras up in several really good spots and I havent been getting any pictures at my feeder or other good spots. Im no expert but I think the heat is a major factor in deer movement right now. They are most likely already bedding in a food source and only getting up for a drink of water and maybe some night time browsing. Give it some time, make sure your equipment is working and try not to go check it too much. The deer will show up, its just a matter of time..

--------------------
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
+Quote Post
socoz71
post Aug 9 2010, 02:08 PM
Post #7

Outdoorsman

Member No.: 22,041

It can take deer a long time to get used to an electronic feeder. Last year I put one out in a spot where I was getting hundreds of pictures a week. Two weeks later there wasn't a single deer on camera.

--------------------
Cody
+Quote Post
PDKev134
post Aug 9 2010, 02:17 PM
Post #8

Hunter

Member No.: 10,259

I've never set up and filled my corn feeders until September. My experience has been that during the hot summer days, like what we're having right now, the deer just don't move much. Not only does the heat restrict their activity, but food is available all around them and they don't have to travel far or search it out. Soon as other food sources start to dry up or die off, food plots and feeders start showing more traffic and "visitors." I don't waste putting out feed until 2 - 4 weeks before the start of the bow season. Same with my food plots...I plant around the first of Sept. and by October it's up just about right (as long as it's had a little rain to get it started). That always seem plenty of time for them to find it and start establishing a pattern coming and going to feed. Any earlier and I think you'll just be feeding birds and squirrels. wink.gif
+Quote Post
okbowman
post Aug 9 2010, 03:41 PM
Post #9

Supreme Hunter

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 2,756

QUOTE(PDKev134 @ Aug 9 2010, 09:17 AM) *

I've never set up and filled my corn feeders until September. My experience has been that during the hot summer days, like what we're having right now, the deer just don't move much. Not only does the heat restrict their activity, but food is available all around them and they don't have to travel far or search it out. Soon as other food sources start to dry up or die off, food plots and feeders start showing more traffic and "visitors." I don't waste putting out feed until 2 - 4 weeks before the start of the bow season. Same with my food plots...I plant around the first of Sept. and by October it's up just about right (as long as it's had a little rain to get it started). That always seem plenty of time for them to find it and start establishing a pattern coming and going to feed. Any earlier and I think you'll just be feeding birds and squirrels. wink.gif

I guess we Okies think alike.

--------------------
Create your own banner at mybannermaker.com!

Member of '07-'08 Deer Contest Championship Team

Member of '12 Turkey Contest Championship Team

Thank God He made all those critters.

God, Family, and Hunting that's what its all about, and if you take your family to the outdoors, you can have all 3 in 1!!!!
+Quote Post
Back Wood Boys
post Aug 13 2010, 05:48 AM
Post #10

Outdoorsman

Member No.: 24,316

We feed protein feed year around and sometimes when you set up new spots it does seem to take a while for the action to start but if they like what your putting out once they find it they'll hit it good.Here is an idea that has worked for me and may work for you. Like they already said add some buck jam to the ground around it and through out some apples, watermelons pumpkins( soft mash stuff) apple and watermelon seem to really work best, but the real trick is go buy some doe urine and poor around the feeder make the deer think that spot is already being used and it's ok for them to use it. We as hunters use urine during the hunt to attract deer but forget it works the same on there nose out side of season too.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version       Primos Inc. © 2010 Time is now: 23rd July 2014 - 06:58 PM