Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Help With Primos Power Crystal
Buzzman82
post Feb 5 2010, 05:55 PM
Post #1

Outdoorsman

Group: Members
Member No.: 27,068

Whats up my turkey hunting friends? I have just purchased a primos power crystal. How much do you really have to sand this call to get it to sound right? I sanded the surface and the striker tip both fairly well. Still very hard to get sound from the call except for in one small spot. The sound that it get from this spot does sound good but im still getting a squeak in my yelps on occasion. Any advice???
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
cory d stroyer
post Feb 5 2010, 08:32 PM
Post #2

D stroyers the name, D stroyings the game

Member No.: 23,716

sand it to wear you get some deep scratches and sand it really good you want it to wear it dosent have a shine to it

--------------------
cory
1ststatehunting
+Quote Post
trtudick
post Feb 5 2010, 10:40 PM
Post #3

Outdoorsman

Member No.: 20,841

You have to sand it hard and deep and only in one direction up and down. When I first sanded mine I used a coarse grit, when it looks like you sanded the word power crystal off of it you have sand it just about right. And keep it rough and you will love that call.
+Quote Post
rrudder4
post Feb 5 2010, 11:58 PM
Post #4

Tracker

Member No.: 5,132

The stone on the primos slick stick works well on the cyrstal type surfaces. You may want to try that.
+Quote Post
Buzzman82
post Feb 6 2010, 03:25 PM
Post #5

Outdoorsman

QUOTE(Buzzman82 @ Feb 5 2010, 12:55 PM) *

Whats up my turkey hunting friends? I have just purchased a primos power crystal. How much do you really have to sand this call to get it to sound right? I sanded the surface and the striker tip both fairly well. Still very hard to get sound from the call except for in one small spot. The sound that it get from this spot does sound good but im still getting a squeak in my yelps on occasion. Any advice???

Thanks for the tips everyone, I will definetly try them out and see what happens
+Quote Post
Buzzman82
post Feb 16 2010, 04:50 PM
Post #6

Outdoorsman

I had a stone conditioner for an old H.S Strut 360 yelper, used it on the power crystal and it did the job. Thanks for the help guys, now this call sounds great- I think im going to like it. Now well see if these Va turkeys think it sounds good
+Quote Post
JYawn
post Feb 16 2010, 10:00 PM
Post #7

Regular Whitetail Wizard

Member No.: 17,815

QUOTE(rrudder4 @ Feb 5 2010, 06:58 PM) *

The stone on the primos slick stick works well on the cyrstal type surfaces. You may want to try that.

rrudder... i was going to say the same thing. I got one of the slick sticks and it works great on my power crystal.

--------------------
Photobucket
Huntin' in good ole TN
+Quote Post
Tommy -Deadeye- Barham
post Feb 16 2010, 10:24 PM
Post #8

Hunter

Member No.: 10

Everybody's responses are right on. Because of the surface being crystal it takes
a real rough stone or automotive sandpaper, etc to start putting some scratches in the surface. Once you get those in then come back over the surface with a less rough
sandpaper or stone and finish roughing your surface. I sand all mine left to right ;right to left and only the upper half of the surface. That is where I will put my striker everytime
I pick up my call. You can easily tell when to recondition your surface by the way
your striker slides across the surface and the sounds you are gettin. I don't sand
the ends of my strikers but I do use a scotch brite pad to keep it clean as well as
the surfaces of all my calls. Hope that helps !
in HIM,
Deadeye
PS You can also put some box call chalk on the surface of your calls and it will
increase the friction between striker and surface and really brighten up the sound.

--------------------
Tommy(Deadeye)Barham
+Quote Post
turkeyjerky2007
post Feb 16 2010, 10:38 PM
Post #9

Hunter

Member No.: 9,991

Another reason I don't care much for this call. I'll stick to my copper and glass custom pot calls. Nothing against Primos because I've tried other crystal calls and I just hate sanding the call that much. Makes me question its durability in the long run. Although I have heard a Primos crystal that sounded really good, I never could get mine to sound right even after sanding it with the slick stick and all other kinds of stuff. IMO there jackpot slate is 1000000x better.

--------------------
2010 & 2011 Primos Spring Turkey Hunting Contest Champions

"Stop worrying bout the world ending today, its already tomorrow in Australia."

"Never regret anything cause at one time it was exactly what you wanted."

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version       Primos Inc. © 2010 Time is now: 20th April 2014 - 02:03 AM