Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Dog Training Books?
wisconsinstrutter
post Nov 4 2009, 01:46 AM
Post #1

Outdoorsman

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,254

I just picked up my black lab puppy. Was wondering if anybody had any good dog training books they would reccomend? I am thinking of getting Tom Dokkens book, but thought I would ask around first..

Thanks

--------------------
GOD BLESS OUTDOORSMAN AND OUTDOORSWOMEN!!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Bring 'em In
post Nov 4 2009, 02:24 AM
Post #2

Thread JACKER

Member No.: 16,409

I bought a DVD at cabelas that really helped. Don't remember what it was called. At the cabelas near me they actually have DVDs playing in the dog section. That is how we decided which DVD to buy

--------------------
team8

Genesis 27:3-4
+Quote Post
SC Bucks n Birds
post Nov 20 2009, 05:48 PM
Post #3

Hunter

Member No.: 20,406

Not really training books but the Just Labs books are great reads.

--------------------
QDMA: "Let him go so he can grow"
+Quote Post
iceman09
post Sep 14 2010, 10:29 PM
Post #4

Tracker

Member No.: 24,969

I will have to go with the dvd, I don't think my shorthair can read yet....wink.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
wyobirddog
post Sep 14 2010, 10:56 PM
Post #5

Outdoorsman

Member No.: 34,276

I tried the books, and dvd's, and the found the best source to be, a local hunting preserve trainer. The books and dvd,s gave me a good place to start, but when it came down to it, I went to a hunting preserve and bought about 50 bucks worth of birds and started asking questions. They would give me feed back on what the dog was doing good and critiques on what to work on. I did this just a couple of times, and have been enjoying my dogs field performance ever since. I never joined the preserve, and never paid for private lessons with the trainer, but they were more than happy to help out a guy trying to do it on his own.
This is what worked for me, maybe something for you to try.

--------------------
"If the Spirit leads, pull the trigger."
-Ted Nugent
2013 Rifle Elk Contest Champion
+Quote Post
RobDuncan
post Dec 26 2010, 02:01 AM
Post #6

Outdoorsman

Group: Primos Prostaff
Member No.: 24,561

I have trained my chocolate Lab with a book called Gun Dogs. It is a great book and will tell you everything you need to know.

--------------------
Rob Duncan - Primos Prostaff Alberta
+Quote Post
iceman09
post Jan 3 2011, 02:58 PM
Post #7

Tracker

Member No.: 24,969

I was told to get Dave Walkers, leader of the pack

--------------------
+Quote Post
GreeneCoDeerKiller
post May 17 2011, 03:40 PM
Post #8

Turkey thug

Member No.: 2,714

Gun dog, and water dog is like the trainer's bible. I also like Mike Stewarts wild rose way. And Evan Gram's Smartwork program is a great progarm that has books and DVD's that really take you trhough a step by step process of training I highly recomend it, but you will want to find a trainer that is selling theres cause its pricey new, and most of the DVD's have samples youtube.

--------------------
Hunter

"call loud cause I can, soft cause I must, share no secerts, no one I trust, rain or shine it don't matter to me, I'm turkey thug of the 10th degree" -cuz turkey thug intro

When your in the turkey woods from sun rise to sun set, wear out a pair of boots, and 4 cushions every time you go you know you gave it all you had.

www.arrowslinger.com
+Quote Post
Elk_Archer_0320
post May 17 2011, 04:51 PM
Post #9

Outdoorsman

Member No.: 53,270

QUOTE(GreeneCoDeerKiller @ May 17 2011, 11:40 AM) *

Gun dog, and water dog is like the trainer's bible. I also like Mike Stewarts wild rose way. And Evan Gram's Smartwork program is a great progarm that has books and DVD's that really take you trhough a step by step process of training I highly recomend it, but you will want to find a trainer that is selling theres cause its pricey new, and most of the DVD's have samples youtube.

I'm with Rob and Mr. Greene...I got a black lab last year around this time. Read the Gun Dog book. Though it may be old it has the best information you can find. When I picked up my lab he was already retrieving in ponds and could tell the difference between dummies and his toy. I trained him for pheasant on that book and he brought me right to a group of them his second time out. Not only is he great for pheasant but he is now also a great waterfowl dog. I read the water dog book and the only thing I had to teach him was to stay put until I gave the signal for waterfowl. I take him anytime I do any sort of bird hunting.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version       Primos Inc. © 2010 Time is now: 21st April 2014 - 08:53 AM