Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 2009 Rut Predictions
bucsjtwr0
post Oct 5 2009, 07:40 PM
Post #1

Outdoorsman

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,254

Has anyone seen the 2009 rut predicitions from Charles Alshiemer? If so, what are the dates and where can I find the article? thanks.

--------------------
The best time to hunt, is when you can.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
jonezy
post Oct 6 2009, 12:18 AM
Post #2

Outdoorsman

Member No.: 4,265

deeranddeerhunting.com, the chasing phase is suppose to peak from Oct 31-Nov 5 I believe, but check it out

--------------------
I hunt almost every day and night, the rest have been [img]http://http://www.hunt101.com/img/332162.jpg[img]
+Quote Post
stoutk
post Oct 6 2009, 01:21 AM
Post #3

Supreme Hunter

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 1,883

I believe it the second full moon happens to be in October this year meaning that he predicted around the 5th-12th should be really really good! I'll be in MO/KS in a tree for five straight days!

--------------------
 photo primosG2s_zps0622d5f5.jpg

Create your own banner at mybannermaker.com!
+Quote Post
Bill Lewis
post Oct 6 2009, 02:05 AM
Post #4

Tracker

Group: Primos Prostaff
Member No.: 8,053

I found a lot of great information at www.trmicels.com. They did a multi yr birthing study and say the rut runs at the same time each yr. All state dates are listed.
Bill
+Quote Post
Drop-time
post Oct 6 2009, 02:09 AM
Post #5

Deer/Turkey Guy

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 14,099

QUOTE(Bill Lewis @ Oct 5 2009, 08:05 PM) *

I found a lot of great information at www.trmicels.com. They did a multi yr birthing study and say the rut runs at the same time each yr. All state dates are listed.
Bill

Yep everyone makes "predictions" each year but photoperidism (the shortening of days) has the same effect every year, year in year out, as well as the same time frame.
Around here Nov 1st through the 12th is the best pre-rut action and the best time to find a giant cruisin.
Charles Alshiemer puts allot of focus on the rut by moon phase, which in my opinion and many others has proven to be inaccurate by most accounts.
+Quote Post
UnkleBuck
post Oct 7 2009, 02:11 PM
Post #6

Tracker

Member No.: 5,594

Alsheimer speaks of photoperiodism too! This is the trigger for buck testosterone to ramp up and for does to begin estrus.

NY BUCK HUNTER just posted an excerpt from his book and so will I.

The Hypothesis
As further background, I'll offer the hypothesis for our research. At some point in autumn, the amount of daylight decreases enough to reset the whitetail's reproductive clock, thus placing the breeding season in November, December and January in the Northern Hemisphere. Once the doe's reproductive cycle is reset by a specific amount of daylight, her estrous cycle is ready to be cued by moonlight, which provides a bright light stimulus to the pineal gland several nights in a row each lunar month. Then, the rapid decrease in lunar brightness during the moon's third quarter triggers hormonal production by the pineal gland. Physiological changes prompted by the pineal gland culminate in ovulation and estrous.

A northern doe's estrogen level peaks around November 1st, as does a buck's sperm count. With both sexes poised to breed, it stands to reason a mechanism must be in place if the doe is to enter estrous and be bred under the darker phases of the moon, which are the third through the first quarters. That mechanism in the North (north of about the 35th latitude) is usually the second full moon after the autumnal equinox, which we call the rutting moon.

--------------------
UnkleBuck
NYHuntClub
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version       Primos Inc. © 2010 Time is now: 25th October 2014 - 01:20 PM