Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Colorado Gmu 75 Reports?
Browntailguy
post Sep 22 2009, 05:00 PM
Post #1

Outdoorsman

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,421

Heading there for a cow hunt in October was wondering if anyone has been in the area lately to see what's running around out there. Looking forward to it. My first western elk hunt. Unless you count Alaska. Cheers
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
DRAFT STUD
post Sep 24 2009, 09:12 PM
Post #2

Outdoorsman

Member No.: 24,980

QUOTE(Browntailguy @ Sep 22 2009, 12:00 PM) *

Heading there for a cow hunt in October was wondering if anyone has been in the area lately to see what's running around out there. Looking forward to it. My first western elk hunt. Unless you count Alaska. Cheers

I will be Hunting GMU 75 in the 3rd Season with a Cow tag. As you know Missionary Ridge was burned (70,000 Acres) up a few years back. This will be my first trip back since the fires. I am bringing my mule and horse and staying in my LQ horse trailer. One word of advice, if you are hunting the Ridge in the 3rd season use some topos and aerials to give yourself a back up area to hunt. The Ridge can get pretty narly when the snow flies. John
+Quote Post
Browntailguy
post Oct 8 2009, 04:44 AM
Post #3

Outdoorsman

I have never hunted the area before but the rest of the party has. I guess we are going in somewhere northeast of Durango near Miller Mountain? Has anyone been up there recently and seen any activity? Also has the snow started coming down up there yet?

Thanks

Hunt Safe
+Quote Post
DRAFT STUD
post Oct 22 2009, 12:24 PM
Post #4

Outdoorsman

QUOTE(Browntailguy @ Oct 7 2009, 11:44 PM) *

I have never hunted the area before but the rest of the party has. I guess we are going in somewhere northeast of Durango near Miller Mountain? Has anyone been up there recently and seen any activity? Also has the snow started coming down up there yet?

Thanks

Hunt Safe

Here is a link I found interesting. John
http://fourcornerslife.blogspot.com/
+Quote Post
Browntailguy
post Oct 24 2009, 04:43 PM
Post #5

Outdoorsman

QUOTE(DRAFT STUD @ Oct 22 2009, 08:24 AM) *

Here is a link I found interesting. John
http://fourcornerslife.blogspot.com/

Just got back from Colorado. We had 5 in our party and only one tagged out. A nice 6X6. Another group we knew from LA. had 6 in their party and they only took one bull as well. We hunted the Miller Mountain area. Hunted about 10 hrs a day and saw 2 elk all week. There were 5 bulls taken on the first day. No cows. Only 5 cows seen all week, except a nice herd of about 100 animals in carbonate basin.

Snow started coming down on Tuesday and we got about 6-8 inches and the elk disappeared. Nothing to see next 2 days.

Lots of hunting pressure few animals. No mule deer bucks in sight either, all deer at the bottom of mountain. Saw a few coyotes.

Probably won't go back there. Disappointing.
+Quote Post
DRAFT STUD
post Oct 26 2009, 01:32 AM
Post #6

Outdoorsman

QUOTE(Browntailguy @ Oct 24 2009, 11:43 AM) *

Just got back from Colorado. We had 5 in our party and only one tagged out. A nice 6X6. Another group we knew from LA. had 6 in their party and they only took one bull as well. We hunted the Miller Mountain area. Hunted about 10 hrs a day and saw 2 elk all week. There were 5 bulls taken on the first day. No cows. Only 5 cows seen all week, except a nice herd of about 100 animals in carbonate basin.

Snow started coming down on Tuesday and we got about 6-8 inches and the elk disappeared. Nothing to see next 2 days.

Lots of hunting pressure few animals. No mule deer bucks in sight either, all deer at the bottom of mountain. Saw a few coyotes.

Probably won't go back there. Disappointing.

I have made up my mind to trade in my cow tag and get a Bull Tag for GMU 77. I know that area better and with our horses we can hunt areas we have taken Elk in the past. One in 5 is about the norm when talking Elk Huning Colorado. Congrats! John
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version       Primos Inc. © 2010 Time is now: 24th October 2014 - 01:27 PM