Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Homemade Walk In Cooler?
espriggshunts
post Aug 10 2009, 01:35 AM
Post #1

Outdoorsman

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,759

Hello all! I am looking for information and or ideas for building a walk in cooler to keep my deer in during the bow season. I have seen some built using a standard a/c unit but am not sure how that will work. I'm trying to keep this as cheep as possible so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Kyhunter03
post Aug 10 2009, 11:16 AM
Post #2

Supreme Hunter

Member No.: 18,612

QUOTE(espriggshunts @ Aug 9 2009, 07:35 PM) *

Hello all! I am looking for information and or ideas for building a walk in cooler to keep my deer in during the bow season. I have seen some built using a standard a/c unit but am not sure how that will work. I'm trying to keep this as cheep as possible so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

I dont use a walk in cooler but ill tell you what i do and it works great. I use an old milk cooler like they use at your local public schools. Most public school systems have yearly auctions to get rid of old surplus stuff and sometimes you can find some really useful things. Even if it needs some work on it you can get it for cheap enough that you still wont have a lot of $ in it. I have seen them go for as little as 5 and 10 dollars.

They work really well, just back up to them open the top and let the side door down and drag the deer in, you cant hang them but i dont think thats nessasary myself. I leave my deer in there for days until i get time to cut it up and package it. I been doing this for years and it works great.

Dale. wink.gif

--------------------
For the which cause I also suffer these things; nevertheless I am not ashamed; for I know whom I have believed, and am persusded that he is able to keep that which I have committed unto him against that day. 2 Tim. 1:12

Photobucket
+Quote Post
Rajun Cajun
post Aug 11 2009, 02:57 AM
Post #3

Supreme Hunter

Member No.: 1,587

A standard AC unit will cool them down, but not for any length of time for storage.

We have a fellow down here that make sportable coolers that uses 110 Ac units but it has a special computer controller to get the unit to get down to 36 degrees.

--------------------
No plants, trees, or animals were harmed in the transmission of this electronic file. However, quite a few electrons were inconvienienced and scattered in you general direction against their will.

www.southernoutdoorproducts.com
www.teamhammerdog.com
+Quote Post
Scott
post Aug 11 2009, 04:25 AM
Post #4

Tracker

Member No.: 15

CoolBot is the name of the device for the window AC units...

Here's the link -->CoolBot
+Quote Post
Grizzly Adams
post Aug 11 2009, 05:27 AM
Post #5

Outdoorsman

Member No.: 21,403

There is a company near Clearfield Pennsylvania called TAFCO.

http://www.walkins.com/tafco/site/default.asp

They make industrial grade walk in coolers.

The coolers consist of pre fabricated panels that interlock with a key.

You can add as many insulated panels to the walls as you wish.

From time to time, they have a customer that cancels a order or panels that are not up to company standards.

At one time, they threw the extra wall panels away, but since the economy has gotten bad, they sell the unused panels at a very reasonable price. People usually build sheds out of them.

You could buy a bunch of the panels and make your own doors and roof and buy a good cooler compressor unit and have a real walk in cooler / freezer.

The right set up would probably last you 25 or 30 years with very little maintenance.

Southern applications probably wouldn't work well, just using a window type air conditioner.

You get what you pay for.

I would imagine that you could pay a processor $100 or less to cut your deer meat for you and forget about the cooler idea for now.

This post has been edited by Grizzly Adams: Aug 11 2009, 05:31 AM
+Quote Post
JYawn
post Aug 11 2009, 01:51 PM
Post #6

Regular Whitetail Wizard

Member No.: 17,815

I wouldn't imagine that you would get away with building an actual walk in freezer without spending some big $$$. Even doing it cheap. If you are willing to fork out the money to build that you might as well just save it and have someone process it for you. Here in TN it only cost about $60 to have a deer done.

--------------------
Photobucket
Huntin' in good ole TN
+Quote Post
October madman
post Aug 11 2009, 03:33 PM
Post #7

Outdoorsman

Member No.: 24,022

I generally just quarter my deer and put him in a plastic cooler and cover with ice for about a week. I drain the water off daily and keep adding ice. It sure makes the meat easier to cut and grind. I used to pay to have them processed but got tired of paying to have it done. Me and my boys enjoy doing it together and its not that hard.

This post has been edited by October madman: Aug 11 2009, 05:07 PM

--------------------
Mathews Drenalin OH YEAH!!!! -->>>---------->
+Quote Post
JYawn
post Aug 11 2009, 08:32 PM
Post #8

Regular Whitetail Wizard

Member No.: 17,815

QUOTE(October madman @ Aug 11 2009, 09:33 AM) *

I generally just quarter my deer and put him in a plastic cooler and cover with ice for about a week. I drain the water off daily and keep adding ice. It sure makes the meat easier to cut and grind. I used to pay to have them processed but got tired of paying to have it done. Me and my boys enjoy doing it together and its not that hard.

I would agree to that. I cut up my first one last fall and was very suprised at how easy it really was. CHEAPER TOO

This post has been edited by JYawn: Aug 11 2009, 08:37 PM

--------------------
Photobucket
Huntin' in good ole TN
+Quote Post
Bowhunter77
post Aug 12 2009, 12:02 AM
Post #9

Tracker

Member No.: 15,512

Build an insulated box then get and old refrigeration compressor and coils. You need to oversize your condesor coil so that it will pull out moisture. Moisture is going to be the main problem. Also set it on a pressure control,not a thermostat so that it will have a prolonged run time to drop temprature. My dad is a mastr HVAC mechanic and licence elctrician. He made my uncle one.
+Quote Post
espriggshunts
post Aug 12 2009, 05:44 AM
Post #10

Outdoorsman

Member No.: 9,759

QUOTE(Kyhunter03 @ Aug 10 2009, 10:16 PM) *

I dont use a walk in cooler but ill tell you what i do and it works great. I use an old milk cooler like they use at your local public schools. Most public school systems have yearly auctions to get rid of old surplus stuff and sometimes you can find some really useful things. Even if it needs some work on it you can get it for cheap enough that you still wont have a lot of $ in it. I have seen them go for as little as 5 and 10 dollars.

They work really well, just back up to them open the top and let the side door down and drag the deer in, you cant hang them but i dont think thats nessasary myself. I leave my deer in there for days until i get time to cut it up and package it. I been doing this for years and it works great.

Dale. wink.gif

Thanks Dale I like the way your thinking. I did check out the Coolbot that Scott had noted and it also sounds good. I will keep doing my homework.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version       Primos Inc. © 2010 Time is now: 21st August 2014 - 07:03 PM