Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Rage 2-blade Bh For Elk?
Antler Addiction
post Apr 13 2009, 08:53 AM
Post #1

Outdoorsman

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,138

I'm not a mech. Bh shooter, first off. In fact our elk camp is a fixed or coc head only crew at present. Here's the situation an old hunting partner has moved back to the province and wants to come elk hunting. His BH of choice is the rage 2 blade for which he has harvested several animals including deer,antelope & black bear with nothing but exceptional perfromance. It's not that I doubt his claims or reports on the ability of the head just that I have always been of the thinking for larger then deer a fixed or COC head is preferred?? So am I in the dark ages or still on track?

Also if you have any experience with the rage on elk please feel free to provide info/thoughts.

Just a general question; what effects do range have on a mech? I'm thinking the further or loss of speed/KE may hinder perfromance. While we'd all love to have chip shots, sometimes it doesn't happen that way. If the conditons, situation and skill allow would the mech. head hinder the ability to take that 40 or 45 yard shot?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
BuglenC
post Apr 14 2009, 04:42 AM
Post #2

Outdoorsman

Member No.: 9,396

The Rage BH is a great head for elk. my brother shoots the two blade and I shoot the three blade. we both killed bulls last year. the two blade left a 3 inch entry hole in the hide at 27 yards. I shot my bull at 43 yards and the Rage 3 blade worked flawlessly. just my experience with them.
+Quote Post
187Elk
post Apr 14 2009, 04:57 AM
Post #3

Supreme Hunter

Member No.: 1,229

I shot a bull this last year that was at 55 yards, I was shooting Tekken II's. I got a complete past thru. I have shot elk with other exspandables, I have shot mule deer, whitetail, bears, and antelope. I like big hole in game, bigger blood trails. Keep in mind you have to have the KE. But most people shooting 60 and 70lbs set ups are fine.

--------------------
Photobucket

2008 team BABB Elk champions
2009 team Elknutz Elk Champions
2010...That is right Champions
2011...Yeah, again! Champions

Go Cats!!!!
->>>---------------->
Br@nden V

www.bethedecoy.com
www.realitybowhuntingtv.com
www.arrowslinger.com
camospace.com/brandenbowhunter
+Quote Post
Antler Addiction
post Apr 14 2009, 07:50 AM
Post #4

Outdoorsman

Member No.: 2,138

Appears I need to do some looking into the newer designs of expandable like the Rage, Tekans,etc. I find it difficult at times to get info for other then deer or treestand hunting situations so really appreciate your info as it does pertain to our(my) hunting situation. Thanks again!

This post has been edited by Antler Addiction: Apr 14 2009, 07:52 AM
+Quote Post
PA bowhunter
post Apr 14 2009, 01:49 PM
Post #5

Tracker

Member No.: 4,292

I've been using expandables on elk and deer. They have been performing well for me. I'm not sure of it's really needed when shooting 70# but I also like using a heavier arrow.

--------------------
Bucks, Bulls, Bruins and Beards
+Quote Post
wodita
post Apr 14 2009, 03:32 PM
Post #6

Outdoorsman

Member No.: 18,474

hello. I've taken 3 bulls the past 4yrs and all have been with the Rage 2-blade... 2 bulls were shot at just over 50 yds and both were complete pass-throughs. The entrance and exit holes were awesome... i took pics of them and laugh.gif if i knew how to put them on here i would.
+Quote Post
wodita
post Apr 14 2009, 08:42 PM
Post #7

Outdoorsman

Member No.: 18,474

maybe i learned ... guess i didnt...hey guys...how do you post pics on this site

+Quote Post
EMR2LK
post Apr 15 2009, 02:24 AM
Post #8

Outdoorsman

Member No.: 21,881

Well I guess I'm spoiled, I have never had to take a shot past 20 yards on elk or deer! I shot one Bull 2 years ago @ 8 yards and last year he about stepped on me. In Oregon mech and expandables are illegal. So I have been using Muzzy for about, maybe 15 years, I love them.

--------------------
ELK, ELK, ELK, DID I MENTION ELK!
+Quote Post
187Elk
post Apr 15 2009, 04:49 AM
Post #9

Supreme Hunter

Member No.: 1,229

I have shot elk at closer range, I was just making the point that penatration is not a problem. Mechanical heads are just one of the things guys try to blame their mistakes on. I have used them for 9 years now and not had a head fail. I have made bad choices.

--------------------
Photobucket

2008 team BABB Elk champions
2009 team Elknutz Elk Champions
2010...That is right Champions
2011...Yeah, again! Champions

Go Cats!!!!
->>>---------------->
Br@nden V

www.bethedecoy.com
www.realitybowhuntingtv.com
www.arrowslinger.com
camospace.com/brandenbowhunter
+Quote Post
EMR2LK
post Apr 16 2009, 12:16 AM
Post #10

Outdoorsman

Member No.: 21,881

187 elk I wasn't accusing you of any wrong doing. I have a freind in Missoula that only shoots Mech BH's. I guess my point was since I have always used Muzzy, I never felt that I needed to change. I know that Muzzy also passes through on longer shots. And since I moved back to Oregon is doesn't really matter if I like them or not, we can't use them. If a guy feels comfortable with his equipment great he has to deal with each situation on his or her own. I would possibly consider using them.

--------------------
ELK, ELK, ELK, DID I MENTION ELK!
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version       Primos Inc. © 2010 Time is now: 1st November 2014 - 12:18 AM