Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cow Horn Spikes
Milkman
post Feb 4 2009, 07:10 PM
Post #1

Tracker

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,116

Ive heard that a spike will always be a spike is this true. Because ive had cow horn spikes on my land but never got a chance to shoot one. If i see them next year should i shoot him or not. And what about one horn deer. I have a couple of them. They just have one spike on one side.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
I Hunt 365
post Feb 4 2009, 08:02 PM
Post #2

Follower of Christ; Soldier; Husband & Daddy

Group: Banned
Member No.: 14,693

I'm not going to answer this question because it's been talked about on here at least 50 times since September... what I will tell you is that the answer can be found in this forum by looking at old threads... try using the "search" function at the top of the page.... or, try going to the QDMA site and reading up and learning all the info that is available and then only asking questions that you are unable to find the answers to
+Quote Post
deerlover
post Feb 4 2009, 08:58 PM
Post #3

Supreme Hunter

Member No.: 1,879

QUOTE(I Hunt 365 @ Feb 4 2009, 02:02 PM) *

I'm not going to answer this question because it's been talked about on here at least 50 times since September... what I will tell you is that the answer can be found in this forum by looking at old threads... try using the "search" function at the top of the page.... or, try going to the QDMA site and reading up and learning all the info that is available and then only asking questions that you are unable to find the answers to

Good answer....I suspect foul play!

--------------------
God's Front Porch! What a view!

You'll never know unless you let them grow!
+Quote Post
Milkman
post Feb 5 2009, 02:06 PM
Post #4

Tracker

Ive read them. what i mean by my question is about cow horn spikes. I heard some many different things from people i know. Ive heard to kill them that when they become a cow horn spike thats all they will ever be then i heard dont. so i was askin yall what yall think about them.
+Quote Post
Dixieracn929
post Feb 5 2009, 02:37 PM
Post #5

Outdoorsman

Member No.: 20,262

Ive done a lot of reading over research done on this topic. The best answer I can give you...which im not saying is 100% corect....is that it is going to have to be a determination on your part. If the deer is a true cow horn and either has a nub for the other antler or not one at all then the majority of the time it is best to take them out of the herd. The reason could be bad genetics or injury earlier in the year that stunted growth.

Now if you have the time to look over the animal before the shot, it is best to make sure that the other side did not break off. If for some reason the deer was a spike, but broke off one side then I would let that deer walk. Most studies have shown that a first year spike can out grow other deer with larger antlers at the same age.

I guess there will never be a right or wrong answer for this question, but if you leard about all the facts (not stories or opinions) then it will be up to you to make the best decision when you come across a cow horn. I hope this helped.
+Quote Post
I Hunt 365
post Feb 5 2009, 02:38 PM
Post #6

QUOTE(Milkman @ Feb 5 2009, 08:06 AM) *

Ive read them. what i mean by my question is about cow horn spikes. I heard some many different things from people i know. Ive heard to kill them that when they become a cow horn spike thats all they will ever be then i heard dont. so i was askin yall what yall think about them.

Ok... fair enought... I'll bite and play along....

first off, what do you mean "cow horn" spike? What's the difference between that and a "normal" spike?

The short answer to your question is this - there is no way to tell by looking at a deers rack what his rack will look like in the future. Are there deer that stay spikes their whole life? Probably. However, the vast majority of deer, spikes or otherwise, will continue to grow bigger racks year after year until about 5.5 or 6.5 and then start downhill... that's the way it works... that's not to say that every spike is going to turn into a booner, but they won't always be spikes either...
+Quote Post
SC Bucks n Birds
post Feb 5 2009, 03:06 PM
Post #7

Hunter

Member No.: 20,406

QUOTE(I Hunt 365 @ Feb 5 2009, 09:38 AM) *

Ok... fair enought... I'll bite and play along....

first off, what do you mean "cow horn" spike? What's the difference between that and a "normal" spike?

The short answer to your question is this - there is no way to tell by looking at a deers rack what his rack will look like in the future. Are there deer that stay spikes their whole life? Probably. However, the vast majority of deer, spikes or otherwise, will continue to grow bigger racks year after year until about 5.5 or 6.5 and then start downhill... that's the way it works... that's not to say that every spike is going to turn into a booner, but they won't always be spikes either...

I would say he means a cowhorn spike is a spike but the horns have a curve in them as if they were a main beam and not just straight up.

--------------------
QDMA: "Let him go so he can grow"
+Quote Post
Milkman
post Feb 5 2009, 03:48 PM
Post #8

Tracker

yea i consider a spike is where its 2 or 3 inchs long and a cow horn about 9 or ten. but thanks for clearin that up. ive been huntin for a while but really been teachin myself. so sorry if i ask to many questions or ones thats been asked before.
+Quote Post
SC Bucks n Birds
post Feb 5 2009, 04:08 PM
Post #9

Hunter

Member No.: 20,406

QUOTE(Milkman @ Feb 5 2009, 10:48 AM) *

yea i consider a spike is where its 2 or 3 inchs long and a cow horn about 9 or ten. but thanks for clearin that up. ive been huntin for a while but really been teachin myself. so sorry if i ask to many questions or ones thats been asked before.

I don't think it is a big deal to ask questions that have been asked before. If a question is posted that has been asked before and you are tired of it just ignore it is how I feel. These forums are for people who want information and tips adn to share hunting stories. I also do feel there is much knowledge to be aquired by going back through the forum and reading previous post as well though.

--------------------
QDMA: "Let him go so he can grow"
+Quote Post
I Hunt 365
post Feb 5 2009, 05:37 PM
Post #10

QUOTE(Milkman @ Feb 5 2009, 09:48 AM) *

Don't be sorry... asking questions is what this place is all about.....

thanks for clarification of the "cow horn"... and no, that has nothing to do with anything... lots of deer, even in the south, will be cow horns by 1.5 years of age... and that in no way means they will be that way forever... The first deer I ever killed was a cow horn that was only 1.5 and that was in LA... and I've seen many deer that were still spikes at 2.5 go on to sport 8 and 10 point racks... let 'em grow...

QUOTE(SC Bucks n Birds @ Feb 5 2009, 10:08 AM) *

I don't think it is a big deal to ask questions that have been asked before. If a question is posted that has been asked before and you are tired of it just ignore it is how I feel. These forums are for people who want information and tips adn to share hunting stories. I also do feel there is much knowledge to be aquired by going back through the forum and reading previous post as well though.

you are right... I was grumpy yesterday... sorry
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version       Primos Inc. © 2010 Time is now: 28th November 2014 - 09:33 AM