Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Gun Shy Dog
Bring 'em In
post Dec 20 2008, 10:12 PM
Post #1

Thread JACKER

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,409

I bought a pup and now she is 9 months old and she seems to be gun shy. I bought birds then when she would play with one I used a .22 to make a noise but not as loud as a a 12 gauge. She was fine but as soon as opening day rolls around a covey rises and my dad and I both shoot. She runs straight back to the truck and is done. She is a very agressive dog that hunts really hard until a gun goes off. I have bought a cap gun and used that but nothing will get her less gun shy. Does anyone have any tips to get her able to deal with a gun shot. Thanks

--------------------
team8

Genesis 27:3-4
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
tall tine hunter
post Dec 21 2008, 11:19 PM
Post #2

One Must Hunt

Member No.: 18,854

What I had to do with my former lab. Was take his leash and tie him to my waste. I took my shotgun with target loads. Everytime I fired I would comfort him. To show him it was ok. Then after several times of doin this. I started working on shooting and retrieves. When he hit the field his first year,when the gun came up he would get excited. When it went off he was looking for the falling ducks or geese. The lab I have now was quite the opposite. The first time I shot the gun by her.she just sat there and looked at me.lol. She was around 13 wks old. She was very easy to train. The only down fall with her is the fourth of july. We shoot off fire works at the lake. Fireworks,BOOM,water,lab, you get the picture! LOL. Just have your dog around guns a lot. Eventually, most,not all dogs get over gun shyness. Good luck

--------------------
Turkey season is on its way
+Quote Post
elkgrunt
post Dec 22 2008, 02:01 AM
Post #3

Tracker

Member No.: 7,612

QUOTE(tall tine hunter @ Dec 21 2008, 06:19 PM) *

What I had to do with my former lab. Was take his leash and tie him to my waste. I took my shotgun with target loads. Everytime I fired I would comfort him. To show him it was ok. Then after several times of doin this. I started working on shooting and retrieves. When he hit the field his first year,when the gun came up he would get excited. When it went off he was looking for the falling ducks or geese. The lab I have now was quite the opposite. The first time I shot the gun by her.she just sat there and looked at me.lol. She was around 13 wks old. She was very easy to train. The only down fall with her is the fourth of july. We shoot off fire works at the lake. Fireworks,BOOM,water,lab, you get the picture! LOL. Just have your dog around guns a lot. Eventually, most,not all dogs get over gun shyness. Good luck

This will work.

--------------------
No arrows flying,nothing dying.MossBack Game Calls prostaff
+Quote Post
killshot84
post Dec 23 2008, 08:36 AM
Post #4

Outdoorsman

Member No.: 20,453

Seems creul to some but get her in the boat shoot, she'll jump out, make her get in herself back in the boat, shoot agian, so on so forth she'll get tired of gettin in and out. Make sure your far enough from the bank though.
+Quote Post
GreeneCoDeerKiller
post Dec 24 2008, 06:33 PM
Post #5

Turkey thug

Member No.: 2,714

I hate to say it but you may have overwhelmed the dog. Here is what the pro's so to introduce the gun. They start with a guy about 100 yards away shooting, while a nother guy is throwing dumys for the dog, then they graudally move the gun closer till they get to the dog. If the dog shows signs of not likeing the gun then back up a little and stay at that distance till she is cool with it.

--------------------
Hunter

"call loud cause I can, soft cause I must, share no secerts, no one I trust, rain or shine it don't matter to me, I'm turkey thug of the 10th degree" -cuz turkey thug intro

When your in the turkey woods from sun rise to sun set, wear out a pair of boots, and 4 cushions every time you go you know you gave it all you had.

www.arrowslinger.com
+Quote Post
Bring 'em In
post Dec 24 2008, 08:49 PM
Post #6

Thread JACKER

That is exactly what I did. She is fine except when we are in the field. I don't know what the problem is

--------------------
team8

+Quote Post
GreeneCoDeerKiller
post Dec 25 2008, 11:54 PM
Post #7

Turkey thug

Member No.: 2,714

That is odd, have you ever exposed her to flushing birds before that? That may be what is scareing her.

--------------------
Hunter

"call loud cause I can, soft cause I must, share no secerts, no one I trust, rain or shine it don't matter to me, I'm turkey thug of the 10th degree" -cuz turkey thug intro

When your in the turkey woods from sun rise to sun set, wear out a pair of boots, and 4 cushions every time you go you know you gave it all you had.

www.arrowslinger.com
+Quote Post
Bring 'em In
post Dec 26 2008, 01:36 AM
Post #8

Thread JACKER

I have a really good pointer and a descent lab who my puppy is hunting behind. So we have a total of 3 dogs. The other 2 dogs get up the birds and when we shoot she runs back to the truck. I'm worried she may not be worth anything

--------------------
team8

+Quote Post
Slider
post Apr 9 2009, 05:06 PM
Post #9

Hunter

Member No.: 997

nice

--------------------
+Quote Post
I Hunt 365
post Apr 9 2009, 07:29 PM
Post #10

Follower of Christ; Soldier; Husband & Daddy

Group: Banned
Member No.: 14,693

I had a freind that used to have a dog that hated gun shots no matter how much training they did... a vet finally asked him this question - "Do you wear earplugs when you shoot?" ... "yes", said my friend... "why?", asked the vet... "to protect my ears", said my friend... then the vet just stared at him until the light went on....

my friend starting putting cotton balls with petro jelly into the dogs ears and the dog never had a problem again...

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version       Primos Inc. © 2010 Time is now: 1st November 2014 - 01:45 AM