Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Grain Sorghum (aka Milo) & Deer?, info, experience, etc
I Hunt 365
post Aug 16 2008, 11:46 PM
Post #1

Follower of Christ; Soldier; Husband & Daddy

Group: Banned
Member No.: 14,693

Looking for some insight as to Sorghum in terms of deer. We have a bucket load of it around here.... I know the deer eat it and I have researched it online, so I know it's high in protien and fat while growing, and then high in carbs once it dries in the fall... I know the birds absolutely go crazy for it....

But, we have alot of all sorts of crops around here, and we also have a very high deer density... so, will the sorghum every be a "preferred" food? If so, when? Will the deer eat it as soon as the green seed buds sprout up, or only eat it in the late fall and winter?

Any experience or advice appreciated....
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
C3Farms
post Aug 17 2008, 12:02 AM
Post #2

Pinetuckey Calls Pro Staff

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,749

Around here, deer will eat it but usually as it sprouts. I have not had nor have heard of anybody having a lot of deer in it after that. Most folks around here plant it for doves, turkeys, and ducks and it works very well (like you said) for birds, but not so much for deer. What did your research say about it?

--------------------

Any man's finest hour, the greatest fullfillment to all that he holds dear is when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle victorious.
-Vince Lombardi
+Quote Post
Hardcore
post Aug 17 2008, 01:06 AM
Post #3

Supreme Hunter

Member No.: 1,330

I think it is a additive to cattle feed. It is used in the silage feed around my area. It will attract deer but they will go to corn and beans more if that is around. If it is there after winter then they will go for it alot harder. It is worth watching trails by it. You never know. It is a food source. cool.gif

--------------------
team10

+Quote Post
ltwilkinson4
post Aug 17 2008, 04:54 AM
Post #4

Outdoorsman

Member No.: 17,386

I had about a 1/4 acre patch of it that I planted in an old logging yard last year and had a bachelor group of 3 P&Y bucks stop by to browse in it for a whle. It was early october and they were eating the sprouts. I didn't exactly see a ton of deer on it but I saw enough to make me plant a full acre this year! The turkeys really wore it out also.

--------------------
Photobucket
+Quote Post
I Hunt 365
post Aug 17 2008, 06:05 AM
Post #5

Follower of Christ; Soldier; Husband & Daddy

Group: Banned
Member No.: 14,693

Thanks...

any other ideas or experiences....
+Quote Post
gruntthenhunt
post Aug 17 2008, 04:01 PM
Post #6

Outdoorsman

Member No.: 12,274

I watched a few does and a mature 9 point in northern Kansas feeding in the milo just before it was time for harvest. I do agree with another post that if corn or alfalfa is planted nearby, they would probably prefer those crops vs milor.

--------------------
Create your own banner at mybannermaker.com!
+Quote Post
GreeneCoDeerKiller
post Aug 17 2008, 04:16 PM
Post #7

Turkey thug

Member No.: 2,714

We have some planted on a managment area, where I can bow hunt, along with corn and beans. It has been my experiance that deer will go to it if it is close to the bedding area and they have had a little pressure, but most of the time they go to the corn or the beans that are planted a little further from the sorgham.

--------------------
Hunter

"call loud cause I can, soft cause I must, share no secerts, no one I trust, rain or shine it don't matter to me, I'm turkey thug of the 10th degree" -cuz turkey thug intro

When your in the turkey woods from sun rise to sun set, wear out a pair of boots, and 4 cushions every time you go you know you gave it all you had.

www.arrowslinger.com
+Quote Post
iteachag2
post Aug 28 2008, 03:48 AM
Post #8

Outdoorsman

Member No.: 18,441

QUOTE(I Hunt 365 @ Aug 16 2008, 06:46 PM) *

Looking for some insight as to Sorghum in terms of deer. We have a bucket load of it around here.... I know the deer eat it and I have researched it online, so I know it's high in protien and fat while growing, and then high in carbs once it dries in the fall... I know the birds absolutely go crazy for it....

But, we have alot of all sorts of crops around here, and we also have a very high deer density... so, will the sorghum every be a "preferred" food? If so, when? Will the deer eat it as soon as the green seed buds sprout up, or only eat it in the late fall and winter?

Any experience or advice appreciated....

We have used milo in food plots in Southern Illinois for the past 3 years.some 10 acres in plots.. When i plant the plots generally 8-12 rows about 150 ' in length. I also broadcast ladino clover on the plot prior to planting. the following year i move over to one side and plant again. this leaves a clover plot with milo residue which helps for birds. the third year i plant on the other side of the first year planting... I have watched deer feed in the plots well into late december... I like it and leave it. yes deer will go to corn and beans but i find that the spicing up with the ladino brings them around on a regular basis. good luck. oh, keep you r pH up for the ladino,,, in the summer i find that the does will bed fawns in these plots on a regular basis.
+Quote Post
Future Primos Prostaffer
post Aug 28 2008, 02:16 PM
Post #9

The Rut Rascal

Member No.: 11,281

I plant about a 50 foot strip of sorghum (sudex) around my 3 acres of soybeans. As I hunt a small area, my field can be seen from the road. The sorghum grows up tall like corn. It acts as a cover that the deer feel protected from the road traffic and will step into the bean field before dark. Without the sorghum, I would probably be growing more deer for the road hunters.

As a side note, in years of drought and poor bean production, I have noticed a lot of it in the deers belly after harvest as it was the only thing green around at the time.

It also helps quail and turkeys and doves with the grain heads.

Offer them a smorgas board. Don't plant it as the only thing in your plot as I feel you will be disappointed.

--------------------
God's Watching

The will to kill a big buck is not enough. You must also have the drive to do it!
success photo successmontage_zps4936af66.jpeg
+Quote Post
Spring Tom
post Aug 28 2008, 04:44 PM
Post #10

Outdoorsman

Member No.: 18,469

I have rifle hunted Kansas and that is usually a week after Thanksgiving. Cut milo has dropped heads all in it. I saw 9 does and 1 nice buck pile into it my first night ever in Kansas.

I'd say it is a great late season food source. Just like cut beans or cut corn, there will be dropped feed for the deer. Even cut is holds pheasant-ask a pheasant hunter.

This post has been edited by Spring Tom: Aug 28 2008, 04:45 PM
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version       Primos Inc. © 2010 Time is now: 20th October 2014 - 08:07 AM